New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

If it is JUST flute you want to record then something like the Tascam DR-07X would probably be all you need (but a bog cheap mic stand would be invaliable) If however you wanted to get into voice recording, other instruments and building tracks, you really should be looking at an Audio Interface.

That means a much more complex setup and naturally more dosh!

Dave.

I do like the portable recorders for quick and easy recording. The DR40x and H4n both will record 4 channels, and will also take external mics, which allows you to expand beyond using the internal mics. Its a relatively cheap and simple way to get into recording.

If you get a mic stand, you need to get a 1/4" male to 3/8 female adapter. The portable recorders, like the DR07x and the Zoom H4n, etc have a 1/4" screw hole for a photo tripod attachment.

HI! I'm a musician. I recorded back in 2004 solo piano, my original music and some covers. I created 2 albums on my (I still have it but found out it's worthless now days) M-Box that then was by DigiDesign and Focusrite. ProTools came with it for free. I bought condenser mics and a sound engineer said he was blown away by the quality of my recordings. I self-published through Oasis CD Manufacturing and sold close to 4,000, yet never "toured".

I also play acoustic guitar. Playing at open mics I'm finding people are seriously liking my original songs. I sing and play. I'm thinking of creating at least one album and see what happens. I want to create a CD, yet maybe that's not a good idea now days as CD's don't really sell any more. I need to see about Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Second Generation I found used in "like new" condition. It seems that's what has replaced the M-Box, I think... and reason I came here to learn about contemporary equipment and with a low budget musician. Carpe Diem! Winfred

Hi, I'm new here too. I had a copy of Mixcraft loaned to me about two years ago and the result so far has been just over 100 songs.
I only have one thing in common amongst all the songs so far, and that is that I don't do lyrics or live recordings, so I might be in the wrong forum. If I'm in the wrong place, please tell me.

Last edited:
HI! I'm a musician. I recorded back in 2004 solo piano, my original music and some covers. I created 2 albums on my (I still have it but found out it's worthless now days) M-Box that then was by DigiDesign and Focusrite. ProTools came with it for free. I bought condenser mics and a sound engineer said he was blown away by the quality of my recordings. I self-published through Oasis CD Manufacturing and sold close to 4,000, yet never "toured".

I also play acoustic guitar. Playing at open mics I'm finding people are seriously liking my original songs. I sing and play. I'm thinking of creating at least one album and see what happens. I want to create a CD, yet maybe that's not a good idea now days as CD's don't really sell any more. I need to see about Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Second Generation I found used in "like new" condition. It seems that's what has replaced the M-Box, I think... and reason I came here to learn about contemporary equipment and with a low budget musician. Carpe Diem! Winfred

Hi Winfred and season's greetings! The 2i4 will serve you very well for guitar and voice assuming you do both at the same time?
It also comes new with a version of Protools but might not for a second hand unit. If not go for Reaper.

What gear do you have at the moment? Microphones, headphones etc? If nothing at all I would suggest a Small Diaphragm Capacitor for guitar and a dynamic such as the Sure SM58 on voice but there really is a vast range out there now, for instance you might pickup a pair of SDCs for around $100 new and likely they will be fine. Beware however of the very cheap, $30ish "BM 800" and "Neewer" mics, probably be a bit noisy for guitar...IF they work at all!

Mic cables you will need and stands but most importantly a means to HEAR your results. Many people get good results on good quality headphones bit others will say you really need monitor speakers and the latter will REALLY eat into your budget for anything decent.

And, last but by no means least. Room Treatment, you will need to throw duvets and other sound absorbing materials about to 'kill' nasty room modes. MUCH reading to be done on that subject!

But, mostly get some kit and have a go. CDs? Don't know, post a sample here and if I liked it I would buy one.

Dave.

Hi my name is Dean Moore I have a broken 4 track that eats tapes. A fostex xr3. Aside from that I like analog and enjoy recording. Thanks.

Hi, everyone.

My name is Skye MacIntyre. I've been playing acoustic guitar for nearly 50 years now, and street busking for about 5. I'm not a writer, so I can only do covers. But I sure do have fun doing it!

I've got a small studio set up so that I can record my versions of said covers. I've been experimenting with layering my guitar and vocals into multi-track recording with some success, but have barely started to figure out the questions I need to ask.

You know, I'm so ignorant that I don't have a clue to just how ignorant I am.

So, please bear with my stupid questions! <g>

Hi, my first post... I’m Hugh and live in the beautiful northern England countryside. I’ve been playing acoustic guitar for over twenty years and have a head full of written songs - some finished and some far from it! The last recording I did was in the early 00’s on a tascam cassette portastudio. I’m currently building a small home studio ‘corner’ and found this amazing community of like minded folk and decided to join. I’ll be doing my best to read as much as I can to catch up on where things are at these days and can’t wait to begin playing with some new kit once the postie has been and I’ve managed to work out how to set it up (which could take a little while). Looking forward to finding my feet and getting going. Thanks to all of you who are sharing your knowledge and experience - it is all very much appreciated.

Hi, My name is Strawbee and I'm glad to have found this forum where I can ask questions. My daughter is 12 years old and sings and plays piano and wants to start recording her own songs, so here I am researching on the whole process to make this happen for her. This is very new to us and so far I have been learning about editing programs and audio editing and now setting up her recording workstation at home which I'm a little confused about audio interface. I know what that does but I don't know if I can use any audio software programs and plugins with any audio interface. I will see if anyone is talking about it in this forum. Again, I'm glad to be here.

Hello All,

Newbie here wanting to establish a home recording studio. I've done a lot of reading but still quite confused what to buy and in what order. I'm hoping for some insight from the pros out there. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Welcome folks.

There are lots of good people here to help guide you regardless of your level of expertise and how deeply you want to go in building your recording system. Have fun, read the "stickies" and don't be shy about asking a question.

Hi Clara and a double welcome becuase we get so few ladies here!

"Music Industry" ? Can you expand on that? Do you play an instrument, sing? Are you interested/involved in recording?

Dave (non playing V old valve amp tech: Rtd)

Hi, Brian here. An older newbie. Been a member of this Forum a while back when using a Zoom R16 which I still use, but recently made the jump to digital recording with Protools (First) DAW and bought a Scarlett solo audio interface to get me started. Having some issues with buzzing when transitioning from window to window. Maybe someone could point me in the direction of a relevant thread to find a solution. Thanks folks and look forward to getting to know the community here.

Hi, Brian here. An older newbie. Been a member of this Forum a while back when using a Zoom R16 which I still use, but recently made the jump to digital recording with Protools (First) DAW and bought a Scarlett solo audio interface to get me started. Having some issues with buzzing when transitioning from window to window. Maybe someone could point me in the direction of a relevant thread to find a solution. Thanks folks and look forward to getting to know the community here.

Hello Brian. Welcome.

When you say 'buzzing from window to window', do you mean screens within a program? That sounds like a possible issue regarding PC interference with monitor audio cables.

Please start a thread with all of your equipment and specifications. Likely something as simple as a cable change. :)

Screen Buzz when transitioning between windows

Thanks Jimmys69 for the reply.

To help find a solution, my set up is as follows:

Tower PC (custom made)
OS - Windows 10
DAW - Protools First
Audio Interface - Scarlett Solo
Studio Monitors - KRK Rokit 5s connected to Scarlett using new AmazonBasics 2-Male to 2-Male RCA Audio Cable - (1.22 meters)

I get varying levels of buzzing through my Rokits when I have certain programs open e.g. Protools or when opening up a new browser session in Chrome but the buzz reduces or stops when I minimise the window. The buzz can be better or worse between white and black screens. I've checked all cable connections and no obvious loose cables.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. If you need more info let me know.

Thanks

Brian

QUOTE=brianmckee;4525929]Hi, Brian here. An older newbie. Been a member of this Forum a while back when using a Zoom R16 which I still use, but recently made the jump to digital recording with Protools (First) DAW and bought a Scarlett solo audio interface to get me started. Having some issues with buzzing when transitioning from window to window. Maybe someone could point me in the direction of a relevant thread to find a solution. Thanks folks and look forward to getting to know the community here.[/QUOTE]

RCA cables are likely your issue. Seems you have the Scarlet Gen 1 or 2? It only has RCA outputs. :(

Gen 3 has TRS outputs.

Use TRS cables to connect your KRK's if you have 1/4" outputs out of the Scarlet. If not, just try to move the interface away from the PC and away from electrical cables. Otherwise, I am not sure what else to do.

Maybe Dave ecc83 can come up with some ideas.

Best!

Thanks Jimmys69

I'll check what Gen my Scarlett Solo is but I suspect it only has the RCA connections. The RCA cables I'm using are brand new. My tower PC is on the floor but due to only having a small desk at the moment (about 0.8m wide and 0.4m deep) my Scarlett is right next to one of my KRKs. It's possible I'm getting some kind of interference. I'll also check if I get the buzzing with the Scarlett disconnected.

Thanks in the meantime.

RCA cables are likely your issue. Seems you have the Scarlet Gen 1 or 2? It only has RCA outputs. :(

Gen 3 has TRS outputs.

Use TRS cables to connect your KRK's if you have 1/4" outputs out of the Scarlet. If not, just try to move the interface away from the PC and away from electrical cables. Otherwise, I am not sure what else to do.

Maybe Dave ecc83 can come up with some ideas.

Best!

Hi Brian........you didn’t mention this but by chance are you using a separate monitor screen instead of your pc screen? Is the buzz louder when the screen is more bright....as in more white on the screen? I had that issue and it turned out to be the sound monitor cables too near the screen.....for some reason.

Hi Mickster.

Not sure what you mean by "separate" but I'm using a small Acer monitor screen. My audio is connected from my PC to the Scarlett interface which then connects to my Rokit studio Monitors via RCA cables. My son did a test to compare the buzz when displaying a white versus black screen page and there was a difference, but it did not remove the buzz completely. It's particularly bad when I open Protools First. Does that help?

Brian........I thought you were on a laptop and that's why I asked about a separate screen. In looking back at your posts I see that you are not on a laptop. I had the very same issue with a bright screen vs a dark screen.......with bright causing more noise. I have 3 different sets of near fields and the noise was slightly more or less on each set. I found that moving my TR cables away from the screen helped quite a bit. Do I know why? Not a clue. Maybe one of the guys here can explain it.

Hi! I hope I'm clicking in the right place as above it notes new members introduce yourself here. Is this where we introduce ourselves or does this end up being a reply to someone who posted here? Better than nothing I'll say something here.

I'm returning to recording first time since 2005 with the Focusrite 2i2 3rd Generation and using my original Studio Projects B3 large diaphragm condenser mics, original XLR cables, and mic stands. I haven't hooked my system up yet because I'm not finished preparing my recording area which might take another week. I will post a question about my business grade Hewlett Packard micro desktop with -- Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00 GHz with 8GB RAM 64 bit operating system with Windows 10 Pro. I'm afraid, now suddenly dawning on me, about it's original internal sound card being a recording quality problem.

That's my setup so far and maybe forced into buying another used computer.

Hi to all! Winfred

Back