New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

My name is Larry. I am just joining and need advice. I want to record for my own use. I want to use backtracking music. What would the best iPad app to use
tks

Hey Guys! Brand new here. Signed up 2 minutes ago.
Only started recording with a good mate a few months ago and thought it was about time i'd have a crack.

Having an issue with latency from my yeti pro into ableton live 10. Can't quite figure out how to fix it. I've messed around with Buffer size in audio preferences but nothing seems to be working. Do you think an adaptor from Usb to Usb C could be the problem. Recently bought a new macbook pro with no usb ports so had to buy adaptor.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i'm pulling my hair out haha. Oh and any other help for a newbie to recording would be great.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Andrew

Hello, I'm James. Psyched to be here! I know nothing about recording, but I can't wait to start learning so I can get some of my ideas down on tape!

With a 120 decibel roar, HowlerMonkey finally arrives here.

He fondly remembers the days waiting for mixerman to add another post to his diary threads and still enjoys his "more me" headphones........that came with a very long extension cable.

Hey Guys! Brand new here. Signed up 2 minutes ago.
Only started recording with a good mate a few months ago and thought it was about time i'd have a crack.

Having an issue with latency from my yeti pro into ableton live 10. Can't quite figure out how to fix it. I've messed around with Buffer size in audio preferences but nothing seems to be working. Do you think an adaptor from Usb to Usb C could be the problem. Recently bought a new macbook pro with no usb ports so had to buy adaptor.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i'm pulling my hair out haha. Oh and any other help for a newbie to recording would be great.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Andrew

Hi Andrew and welcome. USB mics are not really suited to home recording, more yer podding so I am not surprised you have latency issues.

The "stock" setup is an XLR mic (capacitor or dynamic) and a Audio Interface. For lowest latency under £200 I know of nothing better than the Native Instruments KA6 although most modern AIs are pretty good these days.

Whatever USB 2.0 AI you get you will need an adaptor* to get USB 2.0 from the MBP. I do not wish to be rude but, if you can afford the mac, surely you can run to a "proper" AI?

*Worth asking NI, Focusrite or whosever AI you consider for advice on that score?

Dave.

Hello! Just signed up this morning. Eager to get back into some home recording after a few years off from music. I currently run Reaper and have been making occasional sketches and ideas but want to spend the time to get some more concrete stuff sorted in the coming months.

In the past I have used various 4-track tape multitrackers, a Boss BR-600 and have recorded extensively with my old bands, albeit leaving the majority of the recording and mixing work to the main guitarist/vocalist - hence my cluelessness with working with Reaper/DAWs. I'm working on a tight budget so I don't have particuarly high-end gear, but hoping I can work within the limitations of my wallet! No doubt I will have some questions about midi controllers, samples etc etc at some point soon. Cheers!

Hi folks. I have just got into home recording in the past few months after 40 odd years of just playing at markets, parties etc. I am using the Scarlett solo interface.
I have put together 6 original songs. Been looking at various options at mastering online but the tracks keep coming back a bit loud and muddy. I gather I need to drop the loudness from the tracks before mastering. They were running around -14dB so thought that would be OK.
Got a rather basic question - if my song is only say 3 minutes long, how do I stop the track from coming out as a 7 minute file when I bounce it down. Have tried clearing it to the end of the screen after each clip but that doesn't work?

Cheers,

Hi folks. I have just got into home recording in the past few months after 40 odd years of just playing at markets, parties etc. I am using the Scarlett solo interface.
I have put together 6 original songs. Been looking at various options at mastering online but the tracks keep coming back a bit loud and muddy. I gather I need to drop the loudness from the tracks before mastering. They were running around -14dB so thought that would be OK.
Got a rather basic question - if my song is only say 3 minutes long, how do I stop the track from coming out as a 7 minute file when I bounce it down. Have tried clearing it to the end of the screen after each clip but that doesn't work?

Cheers,

What software are you using to record? Export should not be longer than the song. -6dBfs should be enough headroom for master. Don't use online mastering BS. It just someone or a program throwing a limiter on it...

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers!

Hello! Just signed up this morning. Eager to get back into some home recording after a few years off from music. I currently run Reaper and have been making occasional sketches and ideas but want to spend the time to get some more concrete stuff sorted in the coming months.

In the past I have used various 4-track tape multitrackers, a Boss BR-600 and have recorded extensively with my old bands, albeit leaving the majority of the recording and mixing work to the main guitarist/vocalist - hence my cluelessness with working with Reaper/DAWs. I'm working on a tight budget so I don't have particuarly high-end gear, but hoping I can work within the limitations of my wallet! No doubt I will have some questions about midi controllers, samples etc etc at some point soon. Cheers!

Hi and welcome. No matter how modest your present rig do post details of what you have. Especally important to know is what you use for an interface. AS important is how you monitor your recordings. Really good monitor speakers cost a lot but good work can be done on high quality headphones but it helps to check stuff out on some sort of stereo rig, be that a modest hi fi system or even the car.

Dave.

new!

I'm new to here!
LOL

No I'm one of the ppl over a decade ago lol. When this entire homerecording was pretty fresh still.

but I'm still new to like 100% of yall probably.

But yup, we're still doing our thing.

I'm now contract into DefJam fresh out of IHeartMedia
18920515_544262939296434_9032034104426652559_n.jpg

When can we post links? It would be really helpful to provide an example for an issue I'm trying to troubleshoot.

When can we post links? It would be really helpful to provide an example for an issue I'm trying to troubleshoot.

Pretty sure you hit the 5 posts needed. Welcome! :)

Think I got you going. I posted your link on the other thread, but Soundcloud states that the track is set to 'Private'. You just need to change that...

Hello, just looking to learn how to record simple tracks of Irish wooden flute that are decent enough for home recording. Maybe one day get to the point where I don’t suck. Total newbie here.

Hello, just looking to learn how to record simple tracks of Irish wooden flute that are decent enough for home recording. Maybe one day get to the point where I don’t suck. Total newbie here.

If it is JUST flute you want to record then something like the Tascam DR-07X would probably be all you need (but a bog cheap mic stand would be invaliable) If however you wanted to get into voice recording, other instruments and building tracks, you really should be looking at an Audio Interface.

That means a much more complex setup and naturally more dosh!

Dave.

Back