New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

hello.... I'm new to this. frustrated that i shd know these things but seem to have forgotten. have some questions to ask

Hello everyone. We're a bit of a split personality. Well, a duo, anyway; we call ourselves sideSister. We collaborate on music together, dragging in others as need requires. I'm Leigh, and Aelyth is the other half of the equation. We're both from Dunedin New Zealand, although Leigh's currently a bit further north (and actually in Australia for the next fortnight).

We have a few tracks on Bandcamp (look for sideSister) and some new ones in the works. We were paying for mixing and mastering, but we're keen to learn and do it ourselves; we're just not very confident although we did mix and master the most recent track ourselves (and make the video - search for sideSister on Vimeo or YouTube).

Looking forward to hearing what other people are doing, and getting involved (Aelyth might say "you're already far too involved").

k-cat welcome..........ask away!!!
Hi thanks, I’m just wondering.... I want to use my spirit folio 10/2 to input guitars etc to my MacBook Pro, running Logic Pro x. The laptop has stereo mini output that I believe is an input too. How wld I monitor the play back whilst I was recording in guitars??....

Hi thanks, I’m just wondering.... I want to use my spirit folio 10/2 to input guitars etc to my MacBook Pro, running Logic Pro x. The laptop has stereo mini output that I believe is an input too. How wld I monitor the play back whilst I was recording in guitars??....

Don't have a mac but what you really need is an Audio Interface. Problem is, you wiill soon see a lot of an AI's functions are duplicated on the mixer but this is often the case with "noob" issues? Rarely do they start frm a clean slate!

If you JUST want to get the mixer into the mac and monitor the output you could go as cheap as the Behringer UCA 202/222 device. $30ish US but really quite good for the money. If you wanted something better take pause and think carefully about other gear you have, a MIDI capable keyboard e.g? Also, where do you want to be with music recording in a year or so's time?
Might be better to splash up to $300 on a an interface from Native Instruments. Tascam. Focusrite, Presonus and others.

Dave.

Nice, Thankyou Dave. I’m guessing the AI plugs into the usb leaving the stereo mini out free to plug in my foldback/cans? thx for this - straight answer. I got such horrific atrophy of the brain and forget so much. tech-stuff seems to disappear from my brain before “ability-to-walk”and “swallow-reflex” fortunately. But can be frustrating. Thanks again (what was i saying?)

Nice, Thankyou Dave. I’m guessing the AI plugs into the usb leaving the stereo mini out free to plug in my foldback/cans? thx for this - straight answer. I got such horrific atrophy of the brain and forget so much. tech-stuff seems to disappear from my brain before “ability-to-walk”and “swallow-reflex” fortunately. But can be frustrating. Thanks again (what was i saying?)

Yes, goes in a USB port. No, the 3.5mm jack is no longer used or needed an AI takes over all sound input an output duties.

Dave.

Howdy! My name is Kenny. Looking forward to meeting many of you fellas on here, as well as learning more about audio engineering. I'm having a problem with my entire studio setup and I have no idea what's causing it. All my guitars started sounding thin, weak, and hummy all of a sudden and everything's got awful hum/interference. Tried so many different cables, interfaces, amps, etc. to no avail. Hoping that I can find the answer to this completely insane-sounding problem and go forward to learning and helping out on this forum. See you all soon :)

Hello im from germany i make music since 5 years only using fl mobile on the phone, yes
my best beat i came up with is called "naci-can we feel the bass" u can find it on youtube and soundcloud
People like it and i also got a label which will advertise and release the track soon but i dont know how i can gain more attention on youtube or soundcloud. Can someone suggest me some ideas how to do it?

Thankyou Dave.... I decided on a cheaper version.... the one I went for kind of negates the need for 10/2 at all - will DI straight to the slaptop. Really just looking to demo some tracks for our band.... don’t have a plethora of quality recording gear anyway, but do have midi keyboard and leccy drum kit to use at future date. Getting to enjoy minimal approach - “get it all laid down on the logic then fuck it up after” approach?

Hi, I'm a musician from Raleigh, NC and have recently started to expand my musical interests into audio engineering as well. This site looks like a great resource. Looking forward to learning and contributing here.

is this where newbies intro themselves? haha
what’s up y’all!!!!!! texting in from texas. been playing psych rock reggae since my youthful days in good old kingston, NY.

i’ve always read these threads-i’m excited to now be a part of the Q&A. i have many questions Re: home recording. i know, very long intro...i’m a many of many words. y’all have a good one and thanx!!

Patrick

Hi. My name's Anika. I'm new and stuff. I've been singing forever, and I just recently started writing songs. I'm looking for some cool people to make music with. EDM/pop, preferably. Talk to me. I do bite, but as long as we just send messages, you should be fine.

Hi,

I'm a Linux Mint user just starting out in audio recording. At the moment I'm rediscovering and improving my voice (I was a mobile DJ in the 1980s).

I have a number of pieces of audio hardware:

1) Huawei Honor 8X mobile with Digipom Easy Voice Recorder Pro app and a TOQIBO Lavalier microphone (3.5mm TRRS plug).
2) R0DE NT1 Condenser microphone kit.
3) AKG D5 Dynamic microphone.
4) Zoom H5 Audio Recorder with MOURIV Dual Lavalier microphone (3.5mm TRS plug) and MOVO MV-RC100 Attenuator lead (Computer Headphone Out to Zoom H5 Line In).
5) Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Generation USB Audio Interface.
6) Samson SR850 Semi-open Headphones.
7) Toshiba Satellite P50-C laptop (Intel Core i5-5200U CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB SSHD) running Linux Mint 19.x, Audacity for audio editing, OBS Studio for screencasting, OpenShot Video Editor.

My interests are in producing audio commentary for video and podcasting. I use the ACX audiobook recording requirements as my quality reference. This is readily achieved on the Scarlett 2i2 or Zoom H5 with the R0DE NT1 and AKG D5 microphones in quiet indoor conditions. The Lavalier microphones can't achieve that quality level but are useful for outdoor commentary and interview scenarios.

I look forward to picking-up useful tips and sharing my experiences on these forums. Thank you for reading.

Hi I'm Mason! Starting to dive a bit deeper into analog recording and quickly realizing just how much I don't know. Looking forward to learning and sharing and so on.

Back