New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

I am new to the group. I have been using a Yamaha AW1600 for about 10 years. Have just bought a Tascam DP32-SD and have lots of questions. First one, can you use a 64GB card? Manual recommends a 32GB.

Hi, I'm Paul from London, trying to get a few answers for some problems I've got re recording. I'm fairly new to it & trying to understand things a bit better

Hi Paul and welcome.
Have you bought any gear yet? If not come back with a breakdown of what you play, the sort of music you want to record and what sort of money you intend to invest. Assuming you want to record to a PC (mac?) you might well wonder if what you have is good enough? Answer is, almost certainly for basic one instrument at a time and track building.

Size of room is also good to know.

Dave.

Whatsup all!

New to the forum!
I'm Jan, I'm from Belgium, and just started my YT channel, filming my progress in earning my spot in the music industry, starting basically from scratch.
Hope to learn a lot here!

Have an awesome weekend!

Hello
I’m Liam from Manchester uk. I’m into EDM of all kinds and I hope to learn some new tricks.

Cheers

Whats going on guys this is Sonny. I produce various genres from my home studio, which is why i joined. So far i have definitely come accross some very good information with regards to gear, software, and techniques. Im also the proud owner of twoelevengear.com where i host a variety of gear and software if you guys ever need anything you can catch me on facebook, twitter and pinterest. Nonetheless, i am very pleased to be a part of this community!

New to Here , new to recording/ mixing .

99% computer illiterate , accept that, not endeavoring to gain meaningful generalized computer knowledge , just to do a few specific things.

I do play Dobro and lap steel , but this is Not about recording myself ( my playing is a long ways from recording worthy ) .

My interest is recording live humans, playing actual instruments . Primarily accoustic , in the spectrum of bluegrass into really old country . Primarily in organic Jam Sessions .

No fake instruments, no ( loops ? ) , just reality with minimal to no processing .

Taking a cpl non-credit classes from local Comm College , tought by owner of a local studio .

Current equipment as of today :

Small Kustom PA
Tascam DR 05x
Today obtained a replacement MBP , replacing previous that was stolen before I even used it . Everybody told me I should get a Mac , but I am very sceptical about them . I'm already 99% ignorant with real computers, hate to loose my 1% of knowledge and go to absolute zero.

And alas, refurbished ones don't even have the originally instlled Garage Band , that I bought one specifically for . ( Nevermind the comments , I know Garage Band sucks , but specific requirements for it, worthy of a seperate thread if needed .)

Last edited:
Hi all. Software engineer slowly closing in on 50 here, new to the forum, not so much to home recording. I play guitar and bass passably, keyboards sufficiently for my own needs and love singing but just not very good at it :D Which is part of why home recording is such a thing, really...

Started out almost exactly 30 years ago with a second-hand Tascam 144, co-owned between my and the band's lead guitarist/vocalist. Did a whole bunch of funny stuff on it over a few years and had a load of fun, before it broke down and got trashed (something I bitterly regret these days) sometime in the nineties.

Fast-forward more than twenty years of practically zero recording or song-writing activity (I did play in a band all the time) to a few years back when we moved to a bigger house with a room to spare for a home studio. Started out with a Linux laptop, Scarlett 2i4 and Zoom R16. Fiddled and tinkered with it all quite a lot, tried different software and setups, even writing some glue-type software of my own to make it nicer and whatnot but no music came out. Then in 2017 tried dropping the laptop from the setup and program the drums directly on Zoom RT-234 and record on the R16 standalone, and it was like magic: all of a sudden I had three new demos and actual desire to make more. Bought Squarp Pyramid and a JV-1080 synth module for sequencing more than just drums and then another module and ... you know how it goes.

That's also when the limits of the R16 really started hitting home hard: Sure it has a truckload of effects and all, but if you want to route sound to an outboard effect ... you don't. If you want to pan around live during mixdown, no, nope. Both very basic things that even the old Tascam 144 could do! And if you wanted to sync it to the sequencer, well, not that either. And the eight inputs that seemed like a huge amount initially were suddenly all permanently occupied and not enough at all.

This is where it starts to get a little crazy :D For the last year and a half I've been building an analog-style studio around a Soundcraft FX16 mixer and Fostex D2424LV multitracker, adding patchbays and effects as time and money have permitted. Building the studio has become almost as much of a hobby as making music itself - this "project" finally kicked me to learn how to solder (lots of multicore-cables to do!) which has led to other interesting paths, etc. And having a terrific time both building it and creating music in it.

FWIW, I'm not a DAW-hater, not at all. It's just that for me personally, music making and computers don't mix, for whatever reason. Maybe it's because I always end up tinkering with the setup and trying out new software toys instead of actually making music. That is, when the heap of #¤%#¤ actually works after latest update-round etc. Might also have to do with dayjob revolving around computers and wanting to keep a certain distance on freetime.

Anyway, nice to find such a place for sharing experiences with like-minded people. The wife is a patient listener but there's a limit... :p

Last edited:
Hi, and thanks in advance.
I'm having trouble locating the specific forum that could help with my issue.
If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
And the issue is that 2 of the plastic shields on the xlr/mic inputs have come out, probably pulled out when disconnecting mic's.
Is this an easy fix, where can I get replacements, or is repair more involved?

Hi all, J-Bot here. Some of you (AwwDeeOhh, Massive Mastering) might remember me from the Studio Central Recording that John hosted for awhile as Tweak's forum slowly got eaten alive by spambots.

Thanks for having me!

Hey all! I'm Tom. 26, based in Brooklyn. I write comedy tunes in the style of The Lonely Island. I specifically love writing hip-hop comedy. I'd like to self-record an EP this summer, but I need to sharpen my mixing skills before I tackle the task, which is why I'm here.

I'm working with a Scarlett 2i2, A Yamaha MODX8, Logic Pro X, a Martin DCX1E, a Fender J-Bass, and a basic-ass compressor mic. Stoked to kick things up a notch!

Hey all. New to the forum and to audio - have some equipment that my friend passed to me which is all like brand new so thought I'd register to the forum for some tips etc going forward!

Hi all, i'm Indiehead, been playing guitar, recording and stuff using cubase 5 mainly 'i stick to what i know!' haha for a few years now. I'm pretty good on the program itself in terms of knowing how to get about it! but really only understanding basic panning rules & basic EQ, but have come up with decent results for the demo tracks I've recorded & put on sound cloud, maybe not to a proper engineer obvious but a person who doesn't really know what they doing lol i'm into bands like stone roses, oasis, kasabian, miles kane... etc... mainly indie rock. i will try and help anyone out on here if i can and hope to get some help and advice myself too. anyway hope everyone has a good day.

Hi. My name is dwillis45 and I'm an alcoholic. Whoops! Wrong meeting.

I'm not a a newbie but a returnee. There is not forum for returnees so I posted here.

I left in 2007 after about four years and now I'm back until I leave again four years from now. I believe that a good bbs should be like college: you take a few classes, drink some beer, find a few like-minded friends, and then move on.

Hola

Hello
Been recording in various humble and fancier spaces for many years. Mostly here for the electronic recording discussions. Come from a jazz, classical, rock background, but recently gotten much more into synthesis

Hi,

I'm an aspiring voice actor, been taking a few classes with a Scarlet Solo 2nd Gen. Teacher says I have talent and I'm expected to record my demos soon.

Hi all, I've been recording for 35 years. Well, I've been recording for a year, 35 times more like. I never seem to get any better than novice level! Hopefully this forum will help me get a bit more proficient.

Hi all, I've been recording for 35 years. Well, I've been recording for a year, 35 times more like. I never seem to get any better than novice level! Hopefully this forum will help me get a bit more proficient.

Ok then......just ask away!!

Back