New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Just pulled a Korg D888 out of the deep storage, along with the rack and instruments. It's been about ten years since I did anything musical. Needed to download the manual for the D888 and am slowly figuring it out what used to be second nature.

Hello, I'm an old man who is trying to help his son record his music. We have a second generation Scarlett Solo Studio and I'm trying to work out Ableton, but seeing as I can barely send a text message without a manual this is proving quite difficult...

Hi all. My name is John, and I'm a hobbyist guitar player. Got a cheap mic interface to use to try amp simulators on my modest laptop. That didnt work so well, so bought a cheap used SDC to try recording with it. It is fun, I look to upgrade hardware over time. I appreciate having the resources at this site available to me.

Hey. I am new here. Live in Munich Germany but am from Houston Texas. I am a pro since 1980, guitar and vocals among many other things. Had a real studio in the 90's and till around the mid 2000's. Was the guitarist for the first late night show in Germany (Thomas Gottschalks late night) and have toured and played with many people of various levels and music styles.

I am updating my home studio (no longer have a "real one") and am here to try and get some advice. I will post a thread as soon as I am sure where.

I just got a new 2017 imac, and need an audio interface, as well as some other things like midi interface, RAM (not from Apple) and Logic pro. I have a few questions about the RAM and the interfaces.

Anyway, howdy to y'all, and I will post my questions soon.

Hi, i've been songwriting for a long time now and home recording for the past year or so, I can't get to grips with DAW's (i'm not that old honest) so use a BOSS BR 80 digital multitrack recorder thing to record my music. Which is acoustic indie rock type stuff.

Hey, everyone. I’m Chris from Nowhere, OK. I’m 25. Writing songs started as a kid then bass, guitar, piano. Love alternative-independent-experimental music as well as Folk, Outlaw Country, Synth, Punk, Surf, Psychedelic, Jazz, Blues. Got recommended this site from a friend on reddit for songwriting feedback and recording advice. I recently got laid off so I’m taking advantage of unemployment for a few months and attempting to cherry pick the best of my song bank to make a cohesive album.

Hi all,

I just ordered a Steinberg UR22MkII interface so I can record with my guitars and rock/alternative/jaz/drum 'n bass/ambient influences.

I'm a bit puzzled and need guidance on the process of making music, going from a cool riff or sound to a song. I've been playing at home and for family for a long time but with some years playing
and better gear comes a desire to get some musical ideas saved and released to the world.

Thanks for all your help,

David

Hello All,
Been about in the shadows for a while, reading and takin it all in.
I’ve been a musician for a long time, doing little bits here and there. I’ve finally got my own room where I can have put guitars and have a go at getting down those songs that, you know, you’ll get round to recording on day...
Anyway, good to be here - thanks in advance for any advice and support
Cheers
Baz

Hi I'm RichyB .... Very new to the world of recording and have joined this forum for lots of advice ... You have been warned !!!

My main music passion is 70/80's Soul/Funk/Disco.

Hi, all. I used this forum some many years ago, ( don't know any of my old account info) and just joined again. Just posting to get my count up enough to post a mix I did for the Mix it section. Thanks, John

Hi everyone!
I'm a not so young anymore boy in love with music since the old days... thanks to the nowadays affordable technology, I've found finally my way to record my music at home!
Well... not young but still newbie... ;) so I will appreciate your help a lot! :)
Cheers from Europe!

Hello, I'm an old man who is trying to help his son record his music. We have a second generation Scarlett Solo Studio and I'm trying to work out Ableton, but seeing as I can barely send a text message without a manual this is proving quite difficult...

How old Deserter? I am 73 and helping my son record his music started me off on this madcap HR game over ten years ago. I have dabbled with Ableton a bit in the past. Did not suit us and fixed on Samplitude but you really should try Cockos Reaper. NOT! I hasten to add that it is simple or easy to learn, none of these "Digital Audio Workstations" are but with Reaper at least it is free for as long as you want it and only $60 or so if you want to go "legal".

Pity IMHO that you went for the bog S Solo, any chance you can swap that up for the 2i4? Reason being a single mic input interface is going to cause Son much frustration pretty soon I think. By my lights a 2mic in, 2 line out AI with MIDI is the very LEAST spec' peeps need for music work (tho' the basic jobs are ok for the "podders" I guess.)

Always around to help Des'.

Dave.

Hi everyone, I'm American-born but live in Czechia. I'm a writer/editor but I'm also in charge of recording and editing dialogues for educational CDs at my company. I got the job because the previous "sound master" was missing all the deadlines and generally not doing a good job, and the boss figured I might be able to do it, since I was already used to video editing for my YouTube channel. Over the last two years I've been teaching myself better and more efficient ways of editing (using Reaper), mostly with trial and error, but there's still a lot I don't know. One of the things I don't know is why it took me so long to find a community like this to turn to for my questions! This looks like a great resource. :)

Hello can anyone tell me if there is any way to retrieve a recording that was accidentally deleted in Sound Forge?

Hi folks:

First of all, thanks for having me. This may be a long introduction because I'm an old guy and have been messing around with all kinds of audio gear since the 1970's.

I got into recording from an Electronic Music standpoint in college - real, classical EM, not EDM (which didn't even exist at the time). Tape, lots of tape - cutting, splicing, loops. Revox, Otari, Teac, Ampex machines - mostly half track. I was pretty much an Electronic Music minor with a major in Music Ed.

After college I bought A Fostex 4 track and a couple of cassette decks. I tried to get into the film industry but only succeeded in producing "Special Sound Effects" for a couple of ultra-low budget horror films.

Married and with a kid to support, I ditched that idea and took a job with a pipe organ company for a regular paycheck and benefits. I stayed in that field and now run my own operation. I recently inherited the personal tape collection of John Kellner who worked as the chief audio engineer for the legendary organ company Aeolian - Skinner. My goal is the transfer these tapes to digital and post them on my web site for all the world to hear.

I still have the Fostex 4 track. I bought a Revox 2 track off "that auction site" and rescued a huge Skully machine from a studio that was going out of business. They all need work. I also have several cassette machines in various states of repair in addition to a mountain of all kinds of other audio gear.

I'm hoping that you folks will be kind enough to help me preserve Mr. Kellner's recordings and maybe I'll be able to contribute what knowledge I have to the group. Cheers!

I’m Artie. Hi.

I’ve been lurking here for several years. I’ve commented a few times, but I know nothing. I have taken advantage of some ears prior to releasing my first solo, recorded at home, album two years ago. This site is always a good source of inspiration and knowledge. Thanks to you all.

Hi guys,

I'm Sam and I'm 28 yrs young and been producing for around 5 or 6 years, seriously for about 3...

I make mainly Pop/House/disco'y tracks but have produced a few ballads and other genres too! I work mainly in the box and don't have a big rig or anything - I'm quite minimalist like that :) also don't have a great deal of money so make music with what I can!

Hopefully learn some stuff from here and I can continue to develop and get better!

Cheers,
Sam

Hi, I'm Paul from London, trying to get a few answers for some problems I've got re recording. I'm fairly new to it & trying to understand things a bit better

Back