New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

a tip of the hat and a smile!

Greetings to you, and profound gratitude for the engineers, musicians, and community here for creating a space where everyone from tinker-ers like myself to hard-knowledge audio engineers can gather and communicate and share and educate, and so forth. Thank you, all of you.

This community and this space is, well, invaluable. I'm stoked to be here, and while i have a formidable learning curve in front of me, I feel confident that questions i have will be commonplace answers for a great percentage of you. Mad respect for this lovely group.

Me: 49, west coast US, lover of music and audio and tech and gear since i can remember. My first store-bought cassette tape was the brand-new Peter Criss solo album from the 70's (much to my parents chagrin). A lifelong musician.

Current Project: Composing and recording a "throwback" album, reviewing electronic music from the mid-late 90's. I'm using period-specific gear and processing, and sending my final mixes to cassette tape for a two-time-zone-distant compatriot- a true analog fiend who doesn't trust any instrumentation newer than his 1977 Multimoog synth. As such, he doesn't use the internet, so file-transfer won't work for our production. Ergo, we now mail cassette tapes back and forth.

Status: To undertake this project, I've acquired a bunch of NOS tape (usually nothing more fancy than our 4-Track fave, the XLII-S), a working Teac 3-head deck, and we've even gone as far as to acquire the same model Boston Acoustics 2.1 system we used in the 90's for authentic, time-travel monitoring. Geeky!

I raise my glass of West Coast IPA to you, this unmatched community. Cheers!

-JammyPants
Oregon, US

Greetings to you, and profound gratitude for the engineers, musicians, and community here for creating a space where everyone from tinker-ers like myself to hard-knowledge audio engineers can gather and communicate and share and educate, and so forth. Thank you, all of you.

This community and this space is, well, invaluable. I'm stoked to be here, and while i have a formidable learning curve in front of me, I feel confident that questions i have will be commonplace answers for a great percentage of you. Mad respect for this lovely group.

Me: 49, west coast US, lover of music and audio and tech and gear since i can remember. My first store-bought cassette tape was the brand-new Peter Criss solo album from the 70's (much to my parents chagrin). A lifelong musician.

Current Project: Composing and recording a "throwback" album, reviewing electronic music from the mid-late 90's. I'm using period-specific gear and processing, and sending my final mixes to cassette tape for a two-time-zone-distant compatriot- a true analog fiend who doesn't trust any instrumentation newer than his 1977 Multimoog synth. As such, he doesn't use the internet, so file-transfer won't work for our production. Ergo, we now mail cassette tapes back and forth.

Status: To undertake this project, I've acquired a bunch of NOS tape (usually nothing more fancy than our 4-Track fave, the XLII-S), a working Teac 3-head deck, and we've even gone as far as to acquire the same model Boston Acoustics 2.1 system we used in the 90's for authentic, time-travel monitoring. Geeky!

I raise my glass of West Coast IPA to you, this unmatched community. Cheers!

-JammyPants
Oregon, US

Hello there and welcome Jammy!

I find that funny yet inspiring that your first cassette was Peter Chris solo record. I was a kid then and had all of the records and was a KISS Army member. Shit, I was 8 when I saw them live for the first time.. Forever burned in to my head....My mom took me to a show in 1976. She ruined me... lol

Peter had a different aspect musically than the money based machine that made and continues to financially support the 'KISS' product. It however was the 70's. A bunch of crap music came from that time...

So , in relation to that type of recording, I must ask 'why and what'?

I have a KISS tribute band that records in my studio regularly.

I'll post a mix of 'Hard Luck Woman' just for fun. :)

Attachments

• Hard Luck Woman R6.mp3
    7.5 MB · Views: 7
The main singer is obviously a Paul Stanley sounding guy. Not sure that is relevant to your direction.

I just placed this here for whatever direction and maybe help for ya. :)

And obviously this is the drummer singing 'Peter' tunes...

I may have forgotten to make that clear.

hiya jimmy,

Thanks for the warm welcome- considering the depth of information and the sheer scope/scale of this community, i'm thinking it's going to be a long time before i absorb the necessary data required to streamline my recording process.

While I haven't been inside of KISS' circle of music for 30 years or longer, their schtick was absolutely instrumental in my desire to learn all i could about music. I have a happy/cringy memory of me proudly showing my (very) Norwegian grandmother my latest handful of KISS trading cards. I can still see the look of confusion on her face, and the rapid returning of said cards into my 7-year-old hands after she saw the grainy closeup of Simmons in full regalia, blood splattered everywhere. Sorry Grandma, but you know... not sorry. Rock and Roll was pretty much invented to unnerve grandparents. At least *my* grandparents. (=

Thanks for the music! I often find myself listening with my "analysis ear" and, well, it seems that the product your studio produces is wicked awesome. Clear highs, deep lows, crystal clear vocal treatment. You must have a really interesting story with regard to your engineering education and the eventual studio that you've built. The music sounds great- even in a compressed format! I bet the lossless files could break a crystal glass if the spl were high enough.

the "why and what" for my current project would take far too much space in this welcome area, so i'll poke around to find the right space to blab about it.

Thanks again,
JP

Haha! Yeah, KISS was all about pissing off Grandma. haha

Many twists and turns in my life tying to be a rock star and all the while recording.

This was just a fun one off for some friends who record their original songs. I am now a daddy and lucky enough to have a trade that allowed me enough cash to put together my 'man cave' studio. A retirement plan maybe? Who knows. I do this for fun mostly, and make a bit of cash because my time and investment is worth something.

This was recorded 5 years ago. Things are way better now. But the fun of this recording is the kind of thing that keeps me moving forward.

'Baby til you find your man'.. Well I found a woman who appreciates what moves me. That was my mom. Then I found my wife! lol! And now a daughter. I have 3 inspiring women that support what I do.

Music for some of us keeps us alive. Whether playing, creating, or recording others, it is just a part of me.

If that is your feeling. then by all means continue. It can get expensive really quick tho...

Feel free to talk and blab anywhere man. There are a bunch of members here that will take the time to help in any way possible. Including me obviously.

Cheers JP!

Hi, I'm Jeff.

I've been playing guitar for 50 years (since I was 6), and used to play professionally, both live and as a session/studio musician. I gigged almost every single night for about 6 years all over Missouri, Oklahoma and into Kansas. We were the house band for a couple of local clubs and also got booked to in and out of town gigs by folks that came and saw us play. Before we got regular gigs, we played open mics and band battles for over a year.

When I was gigging 5 to 7 nights a week, I'd play anything from Jim Croce to Garth Brooks to Extreme, Kiss and Aerosmith in the same night. My current favorite influences are John Mayer (I know, everyone hates him, but whatever lol) as well as Dorje, Killswitch Engage, and Leann Lahavras. Yes, my tastes are all over the place, just no opera lol. My favorite guitarists are Nuno Bettancourt and John Petrucci. I'm currently booked for a hotel lounge gig with a friend every Friday night, and trying to get another band together around life and kids. Back in the day, our band actually sold 1 song, to YYZ, we had a few songs on radio (mostly folk/ballad stuff), and one of our vocalists got a recording contract, so it was the best of times. :-)

I've been recording on and off for about 20 years, mostly in other people's studios as a studio musician on other people's songs. A couple of years ago I decided to set up my own studio so I could record my own music on my own schedule.

My current studio setup is a Behringer Xenyx 1202 into Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 with a Boss Dr 550 and Zoom R8 into Reaper on my PC, and out to a pair of Mackie CR 5's or my new Behringer M20s. I also have and have tried most every other DAW out there, but usually revert to Reaper. I've got a small Akai keyboard/pad thingy I use in addition to my instruments, and a couple of acoustic hand drums, as well as a Tascam Porta-04 (yes, cassette tape! I keep it for all my old recordings made on a 424 lol). I got the R8 for jotting down quick ideas in the living room or when at friends houses, but plan on integrating it with Reaper also.

I moved a year ago into a new house that I've been remodeling, so I'm just now able to start getting my studio set back up, so I'll have mare than a few questions lol. Hopefully I might have an occasional answer as well. :-)

Anyhow, enough tooting my own horn, because I still, always, have LOTS to learn.

Thanks for being here, and for letting me join! :-)

Hi... I'm Rikk….new guy....I have a 48 yr,old sansui ra-500 reverb that has lost a lot of it's reverb effect...suggestions ?

hello, im sadman sakib. I love to produce music with my daw fl studio and ableton. :-) im from asia!

---------- Update ----------

nice to meet you sir :)

I am old and in the way. I have a lot of questions. I play acoustic rhythm guitar and harmonica. I want a sound other than the jangly warm bright acoustic amp sound. I am looking for a small mixer to practice with and possibly record some stuff.

Hi... I'm Rikk….new guy....I have a 48 yr,old sansui ra-500 reverb that has lost a lot of it's reverb effect...suggestions ?

Welcome,Rikk... I'm also new here,but been recording at home and on location for about 25 years. Now,about your Sansui ra-500,I suggest doing a search on here. I just found a highly rated repair facility near me,(Deltronics in Chicago) thanks to reading old posts on here,but the search function at the top right in the blue bar should be helpful.

Hi
I'm Andy, 50 something, with a drive to create my own music. I'm a complete and total noob as far as home recording goes and I'm looking for patience and tolerance with my silly questions!

Hi, I'm Jeff.

I've been playing guitar for 50 years (since I was 6), and used to play professionally, both live and as a session/studio musician. I gigged almost every single night for about 6 years all over Missouri, Oklahoma and into Kansas. We were the house band for a couple of local clubs and also got booked to in and out of town gigs by folks that came and saw us play. Before we got regular gigs, we played open mics and band battles for over a year.

When I was gigging 5 to 7 nights a week, I'd play anything from Jim Croce to Garth Brooks to Extreme, Kiss and Aerosmith in the same night. My current favorite influences are John Mayer (I know, everyone hates him, but whatever lol) as well as Dorje, Killswitch Engage, and Leann Lahavras. Yes, my tastes are all over the place, just no opera lol. My favorite guitarists are Nuno Bettancourt and John Petrucci. I'm currently booked for a hotel lounge gig with a friend every Friday night, and trying to get another band together around life and kids. Back in the day, our band actually sold 1 song, to YYZ, we had a few songs on radio (mostly folk/ballad stuff), and one of our vocalists got a recording contract, so it was the best of times. :-)

I've been recording on and off for about 20 years, mostly in other people's studios as a studio musician on other people's songs. A couple of years ago I decided to set up my own studio so I could record my own music on my own schedule.

My current studio setup is a Behringer Xenyx 1202 into Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 with a Boss Dr 550 and Zoom R8 into Reaper on my PC, and out to a pair of Mackie CR 5's or my new Behringer M20s. I also have and have tried most every other DAW out there, but usually revert to Reaper. I've got a small Akai keyboard/pad thingy I use in addition to my instruments, and a couple of acoustic hand drums, as well as a Tascam Porta-04 (yes, cassette tape! I keep it for all my old recordings made on a 424 lol). I got the R8 for jotting down quick ideas in the living room or when at friends houses, but plan on integrating it with Reaper also.

I moved a year ago into a new house that I've been remodeling, so I'm just now able to start getting my studio set back up, so I'll have mare than a few questions lol. Hopefully I might have an occasional answer as well. :-)

Anyhow, enough tooting my own horn, because I still, always, have LOTS to learn.

Thanks for being here, and for letting me join! :-)

Hi Jeff and welcome. I am just an old (v old!) retired amp tech' with a lifelong interest in audio and recording. I would say your recording gear is pretty well up to snuff but you are badly let down in the monitoring dept? (I have an 8i6. s'ok but I have my Native Instruments KA6 in the system most of the time)

New place? So, how big is the new music room? A plan with dimensions, however crude is SO helpful. Monitor choice is of course a minefield but I would say, if you are at all serious. long term the minimum spend would be $1000 per speaker and that is for nearfields (~1-1.5mtrs) and NOT earth moving bass. You have obviously been around and so must have heard some seriously tasty systems but don't judge them on volume or initial WOW! factors. Good monitors should be revealing but a little understated. Does that acoustic guitar SOUND like a real acoustic guitar or a tarted up impression of one?

Then of course there is room treatment. I hope you have saved a nice wedge from all those gigs!

Dave.

Hello everyone, my name is Daniel and i'm a complete newbie on this stuff. Not trying to make my career on this but want to look professional.

Thanks for the help

Hello everyone, I've been failing at recording for 15 years, on Windows, Linux, Boss Recorder, Tascam. I know how to fail on all of those - on Linux I couldn't even get sound most of the time.
Now I'm trying again on a Mac, very slowly and methodically as I can.
I have been writing songs for over 30 years, but have always been held back by recording difficulties.
I am determined, with your help and know-how, that this time I will get somewhere.

Hi everyone! My name is John, I am 15 years old and I am a music producer from Romania. Atm, I am making progressive house, big room and sometimes deep house. I am doing this for almost 2 years and I hope I'll am gonna get better and better! :)

Gidday All;

I am C. Emu from Australia.
Don't let the feathery rough exterior put you off!

In my younger years (long ago now) I did live sound, lighting and PA rigging.
These days I make and compile sound effects and try to make some money from it... trying and succeeding don't always work together.

Set-up is more 'post-production' orientated. Focusrite 2i2, Alesis Elevate 6 monitors, Focusrite HP-60 Headphones, Focusrite CM-25 (I think) condensor mic (yeah I brought the Focusrite studio pack), BM-800 el-cheapo condenser mic brought off eBay - but it sounds okay surprisingly enough. A couple of old tape decks that I keep running for the sake of keeping them running. Audio software is Reper DAW and Audacity, use Audacity for quick and easy editing WAV files. Machine is an i7, 16GB RAM, 4GB GPU (I play with video editing/production as well), 2TB HDD and 2x 2TB Backup drives - I've learnt to backup daily to multiple drives the hard way!

Not a musician, can't read music - working on both these though. But I love mixing and audio.

Hello all, I'm a mediocre self taught drummer in the process of turning my basement into a recording studio.
I hope to learn a few things here, because simply reading online and magazine articles is like wandering blind through a desert....always running into terminology I am not familiar with and such.
I'm a real caveman here, so go easy.

Back