New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Welcome, Jimmie. I found this at Tascam - someone asked the same question. I'm not sure, but I think the response contains additional information other than might be directly related to your situation. Additional options as far as far as selections go. But I believe somewhere in there is the answer.

When your device is turned on and you are looking at the main screen, push the REC MODE button to make sure your record mode is set to Stereo. Press the – key once to highlight the source and push the FF key once to highlight INT STEREO. Use the + key to change to EXT IN L/R then press the HOME/STOP key. Press the REC button once and the REC light will blink indicating that your unit is now in REC standby mode. At this point you can adjust the input sensitivity from the input level buttons on the left side of the unit and press the REC button again when ready to start the recording. Press the stop button when finished. If you are using a phantom powered mic, don't forget to turn the switch on the side of the unit to mic + phantom.
Thank you very much, Spantini. I had seen that elsewhere and tried it. I think it’s on the right path but did not work. However, when I selected EXT Independent it did seem to work correctly. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you very much, Spantini. I had seen that elsewhere and tried it. I think it’s on the right path but did not work. However, when I selected EXT Independent it did seem to work correctly. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
You're welcome. Glad it works. The descriptions of EXT IN are confusing and not very clear - the usual translation difficulties.

I’m Bill from Maryland. I’m retired and putting together a basement studio where I hope to record for fun (not fame). I play mostly acoustic stringed instruments like guitars, kora, sitar, hurdy gurdy etc. but intend to get into keyboards, electronics, and music concrete perhaps all blended together. My tastes run from progressive rock to world music to jazz to classical to avant-garde. I hope to both record my songs (before it’s too late) as well as compose & possibly collaborate in the studio using the sounds and tools available to me to produce something original and unique. I know I have a lot to learn, so I intend to learn by doing, one project at a time. I am currently contemplating DAW selection - I’ve used Cakewalk in the past but currently leaning towards Reaper. I look forward to sharing my thoughts and benefiting from the experience and expertise of this community.
Welcome Buddhabreath!
I sussed you were an acoustic man from your avatar picture.
You have a similar attitude to me. I tried Cubase, and got sucked in.

"I am also recording masters onto tape (Revox F35) and going back into my DAW and recording that in 16 bit...thus saving all that dithering stuff." AFAICT Gelan a "Revox F35" is a speaker? And please explain the bit about dithering? Even at 16bits any digital artifacts are going to be at least 20dB below even the best tape noise.

Dave.

Welcome Buddhabreath!
I sussed you were an acoustic man from your avatar picture.
You have a similar attitude to me. I tried Cubase, and got sucked in.
Thanks Raymond, I appreciate it. It seems to me that any of major DAWs will get the job done. I tentatively selected Reaper on the basis of price, flexibility, and most importantly, a large and supportive user community. It’s also regularly updated and has a small footprint unlike many of the DAWs that have big, bloated code bases. That’s usually not a good sign in my long experience in IT ;-).

I am open to suggestions regarding alternatives to Reaper. I’m not going to do a detailed evaluation of DAWs myself, so I’m kinda going on gut and limited knowledge.

I'm firmly in the Reaper camp, for many of the same reasons you mentioned, plus it works in a way that is very logical to me. I'm not into building beats and loops. For me Reaper works very well as a linear multitrack system.

I played with Cubase LE (I have 3 versions that were included with equipment that I bought). They worked ok, but Reaper just works better for me.

Back