New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hey, there. I'm Gustavo. I'm also a college student and I'm a home recording newbie. Music has always been my passion and now I want to learn more and more about the recording world.

Hi,

I've been reading posts off and on here for a couple of years, and I mean to get a bit more serous about my home studio.

I've been playing for 40+ years. Used to make a living at it as a drummer, but moved on to other things. Back in the 90's I bought a bunch of equipment and carved out a little spot for recording in the basement, but everything just sat. I'll probably create a separate post about this, but I'm trying to figure out the extent to which I should use the old stuff, or embrace new technology. I realize there's a forum for each :) I'm hoping that I can make use of both. In addition to drums, I platy guitar and keyboards, enough to do some writing. I live in Ohio.

I have a little bit more time now and I'm motivated. I'm 55, and I have a goal of writing and recording 6 songs by the time I'm 60. I call it my "6 by 60 project." Creative, eh?

I think that this site, and your collective wisdom will also give me a kick in the butt.

--
Diff

Hi,

I've been reading posts off and on here for a couple of years, and I mean to get a bit more serous about my home studio.

I've been playing for 40+ years. Used to make a living at it as a drummer, but moved on to other things. Back in the 90's I bought a bunch of equipment and carved out a little spot for recording in the basement, but everything just sat. I'll probably create a separate post about this, but I'm trying to figure out the extent to which I should use the old stuff, or embrace new technology. I realize there's a forum for each :) I'm hoping that I can make use of both. In addition to drums, I platy guitar and keyboards, enough to do some writing. I live in Ohio.

I have a little bit more time now and I'm motivated. I'm 55, and I have a goal of writing and recording 6 songs by the time I'm 60. I call it my "6 by 60 project." Creative, eh?

I think that this site, and your collective wisdom will also give me a kick in the butt.

--
Diff

KICK!!! :D

Nice man. It is always good to have goals like "6 by 60". I bet you have that done before 57. :)

Hey, there. I'm Gustavo. I'm also a college student and I'm a home recording newbie. Music has always been my passion and now I want to learn more and more about the recording world.

Welcome Gustavo. Much to be learned here. I know I have. :)

Hi, I'm Michael. Off and on over the years I've browsed this and other forums and recently decided to unpack, unwrap and set up the equipment I've accumulated over the years and put it to some use. I've always been "in to" music, more as a passive participant, but 18 or so years ago, the husband of a good friend and co-worker - who had a sound company (bands at clubs, special events, etc.) - had the opportunity to open a pro recording studio. I was an investor, and engineer wannabe. Well, after that folded (my "partners" were better at their craft than at business), I maintained my interest (from time to time) and acquired various equipment. I should say I've played keyboards (a little) and have been trying my hand at the acoustic guitar (although I have a cheapy electric - because a friend and sometimes teacher said it might be easier to learn on the electric). My first love is analog and I've kept a pair of Tascam 38's around to play with - but primarily use a Tascam TM-D1000 as my mixer. I'm learning more about computer recording, and hooked the TM-D1000 up to a pc with a MOTU 2408 to learn a bit about it. I'm playing with various software - but still prefer the physical mixer tot he on-screen version. I do a bit of recording work for friend who have some hobby bands - doing demos and the like.

Bottom line, though, while I like playing with the technology, the result is to hear something exciting, and on my "bucket list" (which I started before we ever heard the term) is to write some music, and be able to play it myself, record it, and learn how to be better at all aspects - writing, performing,a nd recording.

Thanks to all who post here. It's always informative.

Hello, my name is DrumRookie (member of DrumChat forums).

I have a passion for recording music, instruments, and different sounds. I've been lurking on the website for a couple days after I saw this forum recommended in a book called Starting a Home Recording Business (I might be a bit off on the title).
I read the entire book and he really recommended this forum, so I'm going to try to learn as much as I can from all of you pros!:D

Now for my current recording situation:

I run GarageBand and Audacity on a Powerbook G4 (1.33 Ghz, 512 RAM... Upgrading very soon), and I'm going to be getting an Alesis MultiMix8 USB this week (after I realized how small my Tascam US122L was) which I will run my Behringer C-2's and Nady SP-1's into (one day I'll upgrade those, but I have very little money to do so. :( I need to spend the money I do get on things I REALLY need right now, which is a growing list. So I constantly am looking for deals on recording and drum gear.)
I look forward to meeting people here and become the best I can at this art, and hopefully so I can be pushed to work harder and harder at this. And I'm seriously considering studying this field in college.

See you around the forum! :)

Hi all, just found this forum while searching around for various stuff online.

I play a bit of keyboard/piano and mostly bass/guitar. I play for my own pleasure, but recently have been interested in recording "covers" for YouTube (I'd more accurately call them "play-alongs". I did one about a year ago, and it came out ok, but I knew *zilch* about recording my bass along with the song. Any tips or forums I should check for this kinda thing?

I'm also trying to get to the point where I can play direct into my Mac using Garageband and not have it sound all crappy and distorted... :) (Keyboard sounds great; bass, not so much.)

Thanks!

My names Mike. im not new to Recording but im new to Pro Tools. So ill be on here being a n00b alot trying to learn the ins and outs of recording on Pro Tools. BTW im a R&B singer.

I'm Chad (aka JhawkBass) and I'm a bass player. I'm between bands right now and looking to get more into home recording during my down time, so I'm definitely a newbie. Found this forum last week while looking for some examples of home studio set ups. Just ordered the Tascam US800 today based on the reviews I've read here (especially those by jimmys69). Looking forward to using this great resource as I try to slowly build up my home studio.

I forgot to introduce myself. Although I joined 7 years ago, I didn't use the site much while I was learning. I have been posting more regularly in the new year and enjoy what I see here.

I'm a 53 year old geezer with a small studio in our front room, play my own guitar and bass and crappy keys, and enjoy pumping out music from the good old days when I have the time and inclination.

Howdy. My name is Jeff. Been a gtr player for 35 years. Was a metalhead. Now I am a blues butcher. I have been terrified of digital recording from day 1, but now I MUST take the bull by the you-know-what and figure this out. Just got an interface and Cubase AI5 to get me started. Wish me luck.

Howdy. My name is Jeff. Been a gtr player for 35 years. Was a metalhead. Now I am a blues butcher. I have been terrified of digital recording from day 1, but now I MUST take the bull by the you-know-what and figure this out. Just got an interface and Cubase AI5 to get me started. Wish me luck.

Have you checked out Reaper as a DAW? Down load it HERE for free.

No problem Jet. This is a full function free trial as well and after a while you will get a 10 second nag screen but once you decide that you like it I think it cost $40.
So go ahead and down load it it's not CPU hungry at all.

Hello everyone, they call me Siro (rhymes with zero). I'm in the process of building a studio at the bottom of my garden, purely for the love of creating my own music, although now my 12 year old son has started making his own music I think he may be in there more than me, payback time for him as my gear has been set up under his loft bed in his bedroom for the last 3 years. If its of any interest to other members then I will start a build thread.

Hello everyone, they call me Siro (rhymes with zero). I'm in the process of building a studio at the bottom of my garden, purely for the love of creating my own music, although now my 12 year old son has started making his own music I think he may be in there more than me, payback time for him as my gear has been set up under his loft bed in his bedroom for the last 3 years. If its of any interest to other members then I will start a build thread.

Yeah coolieo Siro see ya in the studio build thread. and welcome aboard!

Hi there.

My name is Jonesey. I'm 57 and have been playing guitar for nearly as long. By now, I should be a lot better than I am, but hey, that's life.

I've been recording for about 15 years and moved across to my first DAW in 2007.

I'm here to learn, as well as pass on whatever tips, tricks I've picked up over the years.

Oh yeah, I'm a Sonar head - some would call me a power user. Some might be less polite than that.

Back