New Interface with Old Gear - HELP

mpisani

I'm thinking about upgrading my interface. I use an old MOTU 828mkII that's connected via FireWire. I have an old Ensoniq keyboard that I would use mainly for virtual instruments. My iMac is from mid-2007 (I know...old).

I don't know if something like a FocusRite 2i2 or a PreSonus or something else would be "better". If I was to go to a different/newer interface, my Mac only has FireWire and USB, but I'm not sure if my Mac's USB is compatible with a newer interfaces' USB or if it doesn't make a difference. I believe my iMac is USB 2.0 but my OS system is only 10.11. Also, my keyboard only has ¼" and MIDI connections (no USB connection). If I wanted to use the keyboard for virtual instruments, do I need an interface with MIDI connections?

Basically
- MOTU 828mkII vs. newer interfaces - is one better than the other?

- is my old 2007 Mac's USB compatible with newer interfaces' USB? I'm running OS 10.11 which is the highest it can take.

- do I need an interface with MIDI connections to use my keyboard hit V/Is?

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,
The 828mk2 is a good solid interface on MacOS. I had one with my '09 Mac Pro until quite recently.
The preamps wont win any awards but it's got plenty of line level and digital IO so plenty of room for expansion.

Unless you're thinking upgrading the iMac, or there's something in particular you aren't happy with in the interface, I'd leave well alone.
That said, the mk2 does have two known issues. The screen backlight LED tends to blow and the pots for the two preamps give up after a while and crackle.
There are DIY fixes for both. If you're interested let me know. I've dealt with both before.

You mentioned the 2i2 which has very limited I/O. Are you thinking you want something smaller?
As it happens I now use a Presonus Firestudio mobile (fw) and Scarlett 2i2(usb). Both work flawlessly for me with MacOS.

Tell us more.

Thanks Steenamaroo. I think I want a new toy/interface. I'd be doing everything with 1 or 2 inputs so the 828 is overkill. I bought it used back in 2007.

Someone told me the FocusRite has USB 2.0, but I'd need IOS 10.12 or later. My mac can only go up to IOS 10.11. Do you know if this true?

I know not of macs but USB is "Universal" or have Apple eff'ed that up?

Yes, if the keyboard does not have USB for MIDI you will need an interface with DIN ports. The 2i4 has such but why not treat yourself and go for the MOTU M4?

Dave.

Yes, if the keyboard does not have USB for MIDI you will need an interface with DIN ports. The 2i4 has such but why not treat yourself and go for the MOTU M4?
M4 requires drivers and is not compatible with OPs operating system.

Thanks Steenamaroo. I think I want a new toy/interface. I'd be doing everything with 1 or 2 inputs so the 828 is overkill. I bought it used back in 2007.

Someone told me the FocusRite has USB 2.0, but I'd need IOS 10.12 or later. My mac can only go up to IOS 10.11. Do you know if this true?

The Presonus Firestudio Mobile I have has been working really well for me.
I bought it used for very little. It has two preamps, like the Motu, but they sound much better to my ears and have quite a lot of gain!
It's also got 6 line inputs on the back, midi I/O, and s/pdif I/O so small and portable but still room for expansion.
Drivers go right up to Mojave, at least.

The Focusrite 2i2 (gen2, certainly) is a class compliant device meaning it requires no drivers, regardless of platform.
It is a simple 2 in, 2 out with headphone, phantom, direct monitoring and line/inst toggle switches for 1/4" input.
I keep it handy for when I want a decent mic input on some unknown computer...Someone else's or a laptop or whatever.

I see no reason it, or any other truly class compliant device, shouldn't work on 10.11 El Capitan but, as it happens, I have a mac here with El Capitan on it so I can check that for you, if you like.

As far as I can tell 2007 iMacs have USB 2 ports so there's no issue there although I do favour Firewire on macs that have it.
If there's an option to keep your audio device away from the USB bus (data and power!), why not take it?

If the Motu doesn't have any of the issues I mentioned they still fetch £200-250 used, if you're prepared to list and wait a little while.

If you want to shop for something brand new I'd make 100% sure it's class compliant or, at very least, make sure it's from a company who have consistently provided MacOS drivers and state compatibility from 10.11 or earlier, right up to Catalina.
Last thing you want is a new interface then you upgrade your mac next year to find the manufacturer isn't supporting the latest OS.

Back