New here....been 10 years...help me

captainL

Hi everyone. It's been 10 years and I need help getting back into it. Looks like things have changed a bit. I need help and recommendations on how to get going again! I haven't kept up with technology.

I have a Tascam US-800 that I can't get working in widows 10. Whats a good brand interface these days? Really only need 2 inputs.

I used to be pretty proficient with Cubase 4 LE but I seamed to have lost it. Thinking of trying Reaper? I think I need more than the light demo versions that come with the hardware.

I still have my KRK rokit 6's, sm57, and a cheap condenser mic.

Do computers still have finicky issues with pops, clicks, and driver problems?

Has digital sound processing exceeded analog quality yet?? Loaded question:laughings::laughings:

Thanks for any suggestions to point me in the right direction! I attached an old song I did years ago. Hope you enjoy and let me know if that's not allowed here?

Attachments

• Looking Down 9MB.mp3
    9 MB · Views: 12
Yes, boo on Tascam for not updating US-800 drivers for Win 10. There are new Tascam AIs, I went for a Focusrite, as most comments indicated driver stability and good mic preamps.

Go ahead and download Reaper, its free to try out the full version, $60 to register it to get rid of the nag screen. In 8 years of using an audio interface, the only 'pops and clicks' issue I've had was when my hard drive or motherboard started acting up.

Some have the US-800 working with Win 10.

US-800 and Windows 10 | TASCAM Forums

I'll go along with [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION], as well as many others here - the Focusrite interface is popular.

I believe you just need to become familiar with today's products - shouldn't take long. Reaper should handle all your needs for now. It's a deep program where you can just use a few simple operations at first, slowly immersing yourself as you progress.

Right on. I'll check out the focusrite. Thanks. I think the pops and click problems had to do with the wifi or internet connection. Glad to hear its not a problem.

Right on. I'll check out the focusrite. Thanks. I think the pops and click problems had to do with the wifi or internet connection. Glad to hear its not a problem.
There are lists of optimizations to do on your PC, primarily to remove background processing that can interfere with using it for audio/music recording and production. Turning off WiFi and disabling A/V software is usually near the top of the TODO lists.

Clicks and pops can indicate resource problems, either memory, disk, or getting CPU cycles when the software or drivers need them. Most modern computers, especially with SSDs and USB 2.0 (or 3!) ports and matching, reasonably current, interfaces have made things less nail-biting, but keeping other processes out of the way will never hurt.

The "consumer" audio interface field is pretty crowded these days, and they pretty much all are a couple generations removed from anything from 10 (or even 5, possibly) years ago. Can't argue with Focusrite, as an old Saffire FW model is what's plugged into my [old] Mini right now...

Yes, got to agree there is very little wrong with the Focusrite range of AIs.

If however you wanted really low latency sub £200 really the only game in town AFAIK is still the Native Instruments KA6.

And NO Steeny I am NOT on a commission! (but they COULD bloody ask?!!)

Dave.

CaptainT

Welcome.

I would encourage you to look at Reaper. I started out with the very early free version or ProTools, and several versions of Cubase LE. I ended up with Reaper, and never looked back. I'm running on a 4th gen I5-4570 system and I don't run into any issues with processing interruptions. I also run it on a 10 yr old Phenom X6 system for some mixing without trying to optimize anything. Its nice too, that you can run it on more than a single computer. Thats great if you have a main system plus a mobile computer.

As for interfaces, I've got the Tascam 16x08. Current drivers seem to be solid. I've looked at some other interfaces to add to another system, and can't decide if I just want to grab a Behringer on the cheap, or spend extra for something like the KA6 or a Steinberg or M-Audio interface.

CaptainT

Welcome.

I would encourage you to look at Reaper. I started out with the very early free version or ProTools, and several versions of Cubase LE. I ended up with Reaper, and never looked back. I'm running on a 4th gen I5-4570 system and I don't run into any issues with processing interruptions. I also run it on a 10 yr old Phenom X6 system for some mixing without trying to optimize anything. Its nice too, that you can run it on more than a single computer. Thats great if you have a main system plus a mobile computer.

As for interfaces, I've got the Tascam 16x08. Current drivers seem to be solid. I've looked at some other interfaces to add to another system, and can't decide if I just want to grab a Behringer on the cheap, or spend extra for something like the KA6 or a Steinberg or M-Audio interface.

On the new interface conundrum? I can tell you I was impressed with the UMC204HD . If it has a failing it is that the output level is rather low. Quite usable but noticeable against my KA6 or F'rite 8i6.

I would of course suggest the KA6 but if you want a 'knockabout' portable interface a cheap Berry will serve. If you want to push the boat a bit further out I REALLY like the look of the new MOTU M4!

That AI is not just a nod to the lower end of the market. The mic pres and converter speccs are bang up there with the state of the art.

Dave.

awesome. Thanks for the info everyone. I'm thinking I can't go wrong with the focusrite scarlet 2i2. I do have an electronic drum set though. Would I be better to get a seperate midi interface or should I look at one that has midi included? Not that I plan on using it much. Maybe the tascam us 16x8 to future proof. Damn decisions. The KA6 looks good too.....

awesome. Thanks for the info everyone. I'm thinking I can't go wrong with the focusrite scarlet 2i2. I do have an electronic drum set though. Would I be better to get a seperate midi interface or should I look at one that has midi included? Not that I plan on using it much. Maybe the tascam us 16x8 to future proof. Damn decisions. The KA6 looks good too.....

Deffo get an interface with MIDI in and out if you have a drum kit. Ka6 would be the best bet.

Dave.

While the 16x08 is running well, its probably the oldest interface in their current line. Tascam has the 20x20 which is slightly newer, but the newest is their "Series" line. I haven't read much about them as far as driver stability. Support is anyone's guess these days. Of course, 10 years from now, USB 2.0 will be about as common as Centronics parallel ports!

At the same time, at under $300, the US 16x08 is bordering on being a disposable item. I spent almost that amount for a pair of concert tickets!

Look at the Focusrite 2i4 for MIDI in/out.

Back