Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New here....been 10 years...help me

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    CaptainT

Welcome.

I would encourage you to look at Reaper. I started out with the very early free version or ProTools, and several versions of Cubase LE. I ended up with Reaper, and never looked back. I'm running on a 4th gen I5-4570 system and I don't run into any issues with processing interruptions. I also run it on a 10 yr old Phenom X6 system for some mixing without trying to optimize anything. Its nice too, that you can run it on more than a single computer. Thats great if you have a main system plus a mobile computer.

As for interfaces, I've got the Tascam 16x08. Current drivers seem to be solid. I've looked at some other interfaces to add to another system, and can't decide if I just want to grab a Behringer on the cheap, or spend extra for something like the KA6 or a Steinberg or M-Audio interface.
    On the new interface conundrum? I can tell you I was impressed with the UMC204HD . If it has a failing it is that the output level is rather low. Quite usable but noticeable against my KA6 or F'rite 8i6.

I would of course suggest the KA6 but if you want a 'knockabout' portable interface a cheap Berry will serve. If you want to push the boat a bit further out I REALLY like the look of the new MOTU M4!

That AI is not just a nod to the lower end of the market. The mic pres and converter speccs are bang up there with the state of the art.

Dave.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    awesome. Thanks for the info everyone. I'm thinking I can't go wrong with the focusrite scarlet 2i2. I do have an electronic drum set though. Would I be better to get a seperate midi interface or should I look at one that has midi included? Not that I plan on using it much. Maybe the tascam us 16x8 to future proof. Damn decisions. The KA6 looks good too.....

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captainL View Post
    awesome. Thanks for the info everyone. I'm thinking I can't go wrong with the focusrite scarlet 2i2. I do have an electronic drum set though. Would I be better to get a seperate midi interface or should I look at one that has midi included? Not that I plan on using it much. Maybe the tascam us 16x8 to future proof. Damn decisions. The KA6 looks good too.....
    Deffo get an interface with MIDI in and out if you have a drum kit. Ka6 would be the best bet.

Dave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    While the 16x08 is running well, its probably the oldest interface in their current line. Tascam has the 20x20 which is slightly newer, but the newest is their "Series" line. I haven't read much about them as far as driver stability. Support is anyone's guess these days. Of course, 10 years from now, USB 2.0 will be about as common as Centronics parallel ports!

At the same time, at under $300, the US 16x08 is bordering on being a disposable item. I spent almost that amount for a pair of concert tickets!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TalismanRich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captainL View Post
    Look at the Focusrite 2i4 for MIDI in/out.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information