new audio interface/drivers

paresh

Hi - I'm not a newbie but don't understand audio interface drivers. I have an Edirol UA-5 - 12 yrs old. It works fine with WDM on Win 7 & I'm a little intimidated about change. I have not been able to use ASIO 4 ALL with it. Can I just get a new interface without any problems playing all my old recordings? Can I just stay with WDM & not ASIO drivers? It sounds fine to me recording at 16 bit/44K & then I don't have to mix down to CD standard.

I'm considering a change because my mixer is malfunctioning & I want to downsize. I think a new interface would work well enough as a mixer for a project studio. Thanks!

Yes - your old recording should play just fine through the new interface.
Have you any interfaces in mind? What recording software are you using?
I think mist interfaces use ASIO nowadays anyway by default.

Thank you!! No specific interfaces in mind yet...any recommendations? I also get confused about monitoring but I'm not using midi - just audio, so all I need is to be able to play guitar over headphones & record while monitoring the backing trax. Is there anything I'm missing?? I use Sonar X-1 & win 7

I use an old U42S by Lexicon (they have a new model # now same thing though). They have 2, 4 and 8 channel models. ASIO but pretty simple setup. Rock solid. My buddy uses an UA101 which is has more inputs but is also a solid piece. He also has the Quadra something by Roland which is pretty good.
I think you get Pantheon reverb plugin for free with the Lexicon.
I use Sonar X3 mainly to keep current with my writing buddy's software.

Thanks I'll check them out. I did forget to mention one thing: I have high-end ribbon mics, nice quality but such low output... the mic pres in my mixer barely boost them enough. I think I should just sell them & get a dynamic mic & not have to deal with it any more, as an interface with good enough pres would probably be too expensive. Thanks again.

Thanks I'll check them out. I did forget to mention one thing: I have high-end ribbon mics, nice quality but such low output... the mic pres in my mixer barely boost them enough. I think I should just sell them & get a dynamic mic & not have to deal with it any more, as an interface with good enough pres would probably be too expensive. Thanks again.

Hi Paresh. You will not see much of a sensitivity gain with dynamics. Most ribbons are on a par with the likes of the SM57 at around -58/60dB ref 1V/Pa. Yes, the droolworthy Coles 4038 IS very insensitive at -65dB but most ribbons are use 3 or 4 times the distance from source as dymos and so you get next to sod all out. I have a 30 Ohm Reslo RB and with a (40 quid!) 1:4 lifting traff from Sowter it is comparable in level to my 57.

There are few if any interfaces with enough gain for ribbons. If you want an AI that is compact, bus powered, ultra stable and of excellent sound quality I have to suggest the Native Instruments KA6.

For the ribbons, look into the CloudLifter devices...'S'all money this game innit?!!

Dave.

Any 'new' interface you buy will have its own drivers available from its manufacturers website... Should be an easy process to install though.

update - I got a focusrite interface - nice. Still getting used to it.
Also got the Fethead pre...it helps a lot. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back