Needing some advice

xMordecu

Hey everyone, first post here!

Recently I bought an audio interface, a Scarlett 2i2, and I've been trying to learn about home recording from myself, just from websites and youtube videos but I feel confused about what's is the best way to start. I've already watched a lot of videos, and think I know the basics, but not much.

Can you help me?

I know this is kind of vague, but I think you can give some advice.

Hi,
If you know how to set up and record I'd say just jump right in.
The only way to really get to know your gear and environment is to just record, listen, change something, rinse, repeat.

If you get stuck on something specific, just ask. :)

Welcome to HR.

What, exactly do you want to record?
Voice? If so singing? Speech? For the former and the beginner a good dynamic mic is probably best and the Shure SM58 will get you going.
For speech you really need a capacitor(aka condenser) microphone and a good, low noise one at that. Rode are the people to look at there.

Instrument? Guitar is of course favourite (if you are trying to record a concert grand boy! Have you got your work cut out!) Electric? SO many ways. Mic in front of amp, straight into the interface, both!

Acoustic guitar? Back to a good LN Cap' mic.

So, help us to help you!

Dave.

I don't have a good amp neither a mic, only the audio interface. So my option is to record a guitar line directly plugging it.

But i get kind of lost while recording, because looks like I have to learn a lot of things at the same time like: learning how to use a DAW, the plugins, the recording itself, etc.

I wanted to know if there is some steps I can follow (not religiously) to organize this learning process. Did you get what I'm trying to say?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a good amp neither a mic, only the audio interface. So my option is to record a guitar line directly plugging it.

But i get kind of lost while recording, because looks like I have to learn a lot of things at the same time like: learning how to use a DAW, the plugins, the recording itself, etc.

I wanted to know if there is some steps I can follow (not religiously) to organize this learning process. Did you get what I'm trying to say?

What DAW are you using? First thing you should mention here. They all will give similar results but how to get there can be a different story.

As far as basic steps, you just need to spend the time via trial and error to figure out what works for you. First and foremost is getting your levels right and hopefully have a decent set of monitors and a room you can be assured that what you recorded is what you are hearing. The rest is for you to decide what works for you.

I have just downloaded the trial of Ableton 9.

Ableton is the software bundled with the 2i2 and if you are using it I would advise you to stop!

It found my 2496 sound card ok and I was able to play the demo tracks and, with a bit of faffing about, get an audio track set up and a signal running on the meters.
What I could not do is get my recording to play back! Now I must have downloaded and tried a score of DAWs in the last 7 years or so and this is the first time I recall being so defeated!

You also have to register the software in order to save or export anything. I presume, hope! That only applies to the trial version because I was not able to register it so far.
Wake up Abe! IF you are giving us a demo (usually for noobs to try!) don't make things difficult from day one!

I would suggest Reaper or download Audacity to get you started. Forget plugins, and other FX for the moment. Just concentrate on getting a good clean signal into the PC.
Levels are key, this is not tape! You need to run 44.1kHz sample rate and a bit depth of 24bits (a setting I could not see in Ableton?) . The meters in the software should be averaging about -20(dBFS*) with peaks no higher than -10ish. When you have this off pat, setting inputs, recording, saving and keeping things organized..THEN you can start to think about modifying and treating the sounds. I don't know how good the 2i2 is for latency but you should be able to run some guitar FX software in realtime ONCE you have the basics sorted!

Good idea to save your work elsewhere. A USB stick, burn it to DVD or up in a cloud. It might not be musical nirvana but it represents time and effort.

*That's "Decibels Full Scale" one of myriad bits of jargon you will need to get to grips with.

Dave.

Read everything you can get your hands on.
Put butt in chair and apply what you read.
Repeat.

(It's the same in any other technical hobby/profession....)

I have just downloaded the trial of Ableton 9.

Ableton is the software bundled with the 2i2 and if you are using it I would advise you to stop!

I use Ableton and have no problem. The main issue with Ableton (good or bad) it takes a whole different approach to recording music. That is the good and the bad. I like it and it is not bad software, it just is very different.

I use Ableton and have no problem. The main issue with Ableton (good or bad) it takes a whole different approach to recording music. That is the good and the bad. I like it and it is not bad software, it just is very different.

Absolutely! My indication that the OP should stop using it was in no way a slurr on the software. I know it is very well respected in many musical circles.
It was just that "I" could not get it working in ten minutes and that tells me that a noob probably won't.

I still think however that they should not hold you to ransom re saving. We gather SO much unwanted clutter doing of the simplest things on the net now. Many people do not want to fill in yet another bloody form JUST to try something out!

Dave.

Okay.

First, I use headphones to hear what I'm doing. I know it's not good, but i live in Brazil and here things are pretty expensive. For example, a pair of reference monitors can cost up to 3x to 4x the price in the US. So, until I get some experience I'll continue using the headphones (Senheiser HD202).

Second, I've tried to use this Ableton software, Reaper and Audacity. Didn't like any of them, and now I'm using an older version of Cubase.

So the key to learn is record, make mistakes, try again until i get a good sound. But how will I know if what I hear is really good or not?

Okay.

First, I use headphones to hear what I'm doing. I know it's not good, but i live in Brazil and here things are pretty expensive. For example, a pair of reference monitors can cost up to 3x to 4x the price in the US. So, until I get some experience I'll continue using the headphones (Senheiser HD202).

Second, I've tried to use this Ableton software, Reaper and Audacity. Didn't like any of them, and now I'm using an older version of Cubase.

So the key to learn is record, make mistakes, try again until i get a good sound. But how will I know if what I hear is really good or not?

Whether you get REALLY good is in the lap of the gods but you should compare your work to that of successful commercial tracks of a similar genre.

Dave.

Back