Need suggestion for a sound routing issue from computer mic to mixer

Nazul

Hi,

I need some advice for audio routing from my PC > Mic out to headphone when I am connected to an Audio Inetreface via USB.

I see when I am connected via an audio interface, there is no sound in mic. This setup is for live streaming, and only sound coming from audio interface should be streamed.

I tried with a macbook and a windows 10 PC separately, both the same result.

I want to play a track sound to take out from PC and then either listen to it via headphone, or route to a mixer to audio interface and then feed the same sound to live stream.

Any suggestion? If the question is not clear, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

You are not making sense.
Please tell us the makes/models of your gear, what software you are using, exactly how you have everything plugged together. Your interface should be selected as both the audio input and output device in your software (and in the computer's audio settings menu).

I'm guessing OP wants to (e.g.) play an MP3 on the computer and have it route back through the the interface so that device's output feeds into the live stream software. Generally it's easier to do with an external device like an iPod or smartphone acting as an MP3 player (IMO).

If the apps on the system allow specification of input/output, you could send the music player app output to the system's built-in speaker/headphones, then send that via a stereo-mono cable into the interface, and do all your monitoring directly at the interface, and configured the streaming app to use the interface for input and output. I'd mute the built-in system microphone too.

I'm guessing OP wants to (e.g.) play an MP3 on the computer and have it route back through the the interface so that device's output feeds into the live stream software. Generally it's easier to do with an external device like an iPod or smartphone acting as an MP3 player (IMO).

Exactly right, Thank you Keith.

My systems very basic and include the following:

- 1 PC Windows 10 (running Facebook Live and Also Karaoke Track with Lyrics)
- 1 16 Channel Analog Mixing board (Yamaha MG166CX)
- 1 Audio Interface (scarlette 2i2 3rd Gen)
- 2 Monitor Speakers
- Headphone

Setup I would like to achieve:

1. Mic connected to Mixing board Channel 1
2. Sound Track from PC connected to Mixing board channel 2 [yes an external device for track is simple, but I want to play track with Lyrics on the same PC where Streaming Software (Facebook Live) is running and I can view directly to webcam and follow the lyrics in the karaoke]
3. Mixer Board Main out goes to Audio Interface Channel 1 and 2
4. Audio Interface Connected to PC via USB
5. PC runs Audio Karaoke Track
6. PC also runs Facebook Live where sound source is selected as Scarlette 2i2
7. 2 speakers are usually connected to mixing board aux out or Audio Interface Output to use them as monitor
9. Headphone is to only monitor sound

I added the Audio Interface to get better sound quality in FB Live. PC is connected to network via gigabit ethernet.

All works fine when in [2], I connect Sound Track from an external device like iphone/ipad etc instead of the same PC.

Any suggestion to make this setup better is also very much welcome.

Thank you all.

I don't do streaming or podding but I cannot see how you are going to monitor on speakers with a live microphone? Feedback hell.

Dave.

I don't do streaming or podding but I cannot see how you are going to monitor on speakers with a live microphone? Feedback hell.

Dave.

I agree that it is a set up that could pose feedback problems, but that need not be the case.

Two thoughts spring to mind . . .

1 Speakers and mike facing the speaker is a configuration the same as foldback systems on stages that bands have used ever since someone said 'more me'.

2 I have participated in video meetings using that configuration, i.e. monitoring on speakers while having a live mike, and have avoided feedback.

However, there are few things that help: voice projection, getting close to the mike, keeping mike gain down and keeping speaker level as low as practical.

I just did a quick google around, and it looks like Windows 10 supports "per app sound output" - something like I've seen on my Mac, e.g., where the system settings might be to use the built-in devices, but a Zoom (meeting s/w) can be set to use an audio interface input and/or output.

So, first, connect the monitors to the interface, but turn them off or the monitor level down. Make sure your microphone is not facing the computer's built-in speakers, though I'd start with those turned down, too.

Just run a cable from the computer's headphone output to a channel on the mixer (or channels, if you want stereo), probably a 3/8" stereo (male) plug from the computer to mono 1/4" or a pair of RCA (all male) plug(s).

Make sure the system settings for Windows 10 are using the built-in speakers/earphone jack for output. Confirm in the per-app configuration that those things you want routed to streaming are using that same setting.

Plug the mic into the mixer. Plug the mixer (LR/main) into the 2i2.

Plug the headphones into the 2i2.

Configure your streaming app(s) to use the 2i2 for both input and output.

Monitor *only with headphones* and adjust your levels.

Back