Need some help recording at home

curtislholt

Hello everyone,
So I am currently into writing music, I play guitar and bass and my friend sends me drum tracks from his house, I am getting into recording at home, I am only really recording basic demos so I am looking to get a cheap Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 USB Audio Interface just for my guitar and bass. My question is, I have noticed the outputs on the interface are USB and a left and right jack output. If I am recording into my computer (using reason as a DAW) does the USB output carry my guitar sound? Like for example If I run a USB lead from the audio interface into my PC can I play guitar and record it from there. I know it's a very basic question but I just wanted to make sure :)

Regards
Curtis

My question is, I have noticed the outputs on the interface are USB and a left and right jack output. If I am recording into my computer (using reason as a DAW) does the USB output carry my guitar sound?

Hi! Welcome to HR.

Yes; These all-in-one interfaces are capable of totally replacing your on board sound card.
They have inputs, for your microphones and guitars etc, and outputs for your headphones and speakers.

Input->USB->Computer
Computer->USB->Output.

Hope that helps. :)

Hi Curtis and welcome to the forum.
I urge you to think long and read more before commiting to the most basic of the Behringer interface*.

I have been wary of the UMC range ever since they appeared but SO many people I respect have them and find them excellent that I thnk I HAVE to buy one now and give it a do! So, why do I say, "don't go cheap and simple?"

The one mic input AIs are really basic and if making music tracks is your aim you will, I am sure, soon become very frustrated. For somene that say just want a decent replay device to replace the internal soundcard of a laptop? Fine. The 'podcaster' lobby will aso find them adequate but for building tracks, not so good.

The UMC202HD gives you 2 mic inputs at £55 bit little else more. My choice would be the UNC204HD at £79 which has MIDI but also more output options. That is the one I am going to get.

Yes, I am spending YOUR money but I am just trying to save you from what I am sure is future dissapointment and frustration.

*I am not even sure the bog S model records at 24 bits? You do need that facilty.

Dave.

It is a bit murky, but based on all the reading I've done, the UMC22 is 24-bit, though fixed at 48kHz sample rate. The less expensive UM2 may not have 24-bit capability, and it has the older preamp design.

I was surprised to see that the UMC204HD and UMC404HD have gone up in price pretty noticeably here (USA) and now are listing almost at 2x and 3x the price of the UMC22! Note that it always pays to call and ask a big box place like MusiciansFriend if they can give you a better price. At any rate, I can see the price difference being a hurdle if you you are really looking to just enable some collaborative recording, say, with plugged in electric guitar and/or bass.

It is a bit murky, but based on all the reading I've done, the UMC22 is 24-bit, though fixed at 48kHz sample rate. The less expensive UM2 may not have 24-bit capability, and it has the older preamp design.

I was surprised to see that the UMC204HD and UMC404HD have gone up in price pretty noticeably here (USA) and now are listing almost at 2x and 3x the price of the UMC22! Note that it always pays to call and ask a big box place like MusiciansFriend if they can give you a better price. At any rate, I can see the price difference being a hurdle if you you are really looking to just enable some collaborative recording, say, with plugged in electric guitar and/or bass.

Cheers Keith, just 20 ago I ordered the 204HD from Amazon. £77.59 inc p&p. They say will be here Wednesday. BTW. is yours working on Win 10?

Dave.

Cheers Keith, just 20 ago I ordered the 204HD from Amazon. £77.59 inc p&p. They say will be here Wednesday. BTW. is yours working on Win 10?

Dave.
Don't have one, and certainly don't have Windows 10! I think about adding one to the old MBP downstairs as I get lazier and lazier about walking upstairs to the Mini, but also think about replacing the Mini, so might get a new USB 3 or TB device for a new Mini. But I digress... (Don't even have a working Windows computer myself right now as dimwittedly tossed the power supply to my 10+ year old son's old notebook - Win7, and I keep my hands off the still function Win7 all-in-one my wife gets along with.)

Don't have one, and certainly don't have Windows 10! I think about adding one to the old MBP downstairs as I get lazier and lazier about walking upstairs to the Mini, but also think about replacing the Mini, so might get a new USB 3 or TB device for a new Mini. But I digress... (Don't even have a working Windows computer myself right now as dimwittedly tossed the power supply to my 10+ year old son's old notebook - Win7, and I keep my hands off the still function Win7 all-in-one my wife gets along with.)

Ooo! Did NOT mean to offend a mac person! I shall be using it on W7 (but must get a W10 lappy soon). Son will be using it on W10 in France. I shall ask him to bring his laptop with him when he visits in January but he might not want to as it means more clutter to carry.

Dave.

Back