Need some help getting started...

HR_Jim

Hi guys. I'd like to dabble in music recording, primarily instrumental music (new age, electro, ambient). One of my favorite artists is Patrick O'Hearn. I've done some recording in the past but I had very limited experience and I did not use live instruments which I'd like to incorporate in my music now. I'm looking for a simple home set up here. I was thinking of getting Cubase to record and using Sennheiser MD421 as an all around mic. Would this be a good start?

Edit: Btw I'll probably get a midi keyboard as well

Last edited:
Cubase and MD421 is a start that would be ok.

You also need to look at an audio interface, which is how you get signals from the MD421 into the computer and into Cubase.

You also will need headphones and speakers to be able to hear what you are recording or what you have recorded.

Cubase and MD421 is a start that would be ok.

You also need to look at an audio interface, which is how you get signals from the MD421 into the computer and into Cubase.

You also will need headphones and speakers to be able to hear what you are recording or what you have recorded.

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking at the Steinberg UR-RT2 as it has a Z-input. It also has midi inputs, is this where I should be plugging in my midi keyboard?

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking at the Steinberg UR-RT2 as it has a Z-input. It also has midi inputs, is this where I should be plugging in my midi keyboard?

Midi keyboard goes into midi inputs on Steinberg, which becomes the heart of your system. Headphones, speakers and all inputs go via Steinberg.

Midi keyboard goes into midi inputs on Steinberg, which becomes the heart of your system. Headphones, speakers and all inputs go via Steinberg.

Thanks. For headphones I have an HD 650 with a Bottlehead amp that I'd like to use while recording. I have a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC that I'm already using with it. Is it okay to have the Multibit connected to one USB slot on the PC and have the Steinberg connected to the PC on a separate USB slot instead of having the Multibit connected to the Steinberg? Sorry for tedious questions

Last edited:
For mixdown you can use your DAC but during tracking you need to connect headphones via the interface to minimize latency.

Any MIDI keyboard/kbd controller you buy these days will have a USB connection. This will likely power it and allow bi-directional MIDI data to and from the DAW* but you might find it easier to grasp the data routing if you feed the UR MIDI in and out via DIN cables. In fact you could probably power the kbd from a USB wall rat device? Handy if working with a laptop as you are keeping current draw and hence heat down and not using up what is usually a limited number of USB ports. Note, MIDI kbds can almost always be run from USB hubs but AIs usually can't.

*The Steinberg AI of course comes with Cubase A1 and that could be all you need for quite a long time, even ever!

Dave.

Before I dive into buying the equipment, are there any other suggestions for my setup? If I need to spend a little more to get great quality recordings, I'd be willing to do that. However if you guys think the gear I'm going to get will take me pretty far, I'd like to get your approval on that also. Here is the gear I'm going to buy:

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR-RT2
All around mic: Sennheiser MD421
DAW: Cubase Pro (if needed)
Midi Keyboard: Doing more research

Also, does the Steinberg UR-RT2 come with Cubase? Do I need to buy a DAW like Cubase?

Best,

Jim

Before I dive into buying the equipment, are there any other suggestions for my setup? If I need to spend a little more to get great quality recordings, I'd be willing to do that. However if you guys think the gear I'm going to get will take me pretty far, I'd like to get your approval on that also. Here is the gear I'm going to buy:

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR-RT2
All around mic: Sennheiser MD421
DAW: Cubase Pro (if needed)
Midi Keyboard: Doing more research

Also, does the Steinberg UR-RT2 come with Cubase? Do I need to buy a DAW like Cubase?

Best,

Jim

All the UR interfaces come with Cubase AI Jim and that should easily be powerful enough for your puposes for quite a time and there is an upgrade discount should you need the biggy.

You would be paying a bit over the odds for the RT2 for a 4 in, 2 out AI with MIDI but the Neve "factor" is nice to have and the interface does have built in DSP. I doubt you could better the real specification for double the price and then I doubt you could hear it! The extra line ins 3/4 mean you could always use an external preamp or mixer to get two more mic channels into it.
Bottom line. If the UR-RT2 takes your fancy, go for it.

Mics? Too personal to call but a Small Diaphragm Capacitor is always handy, especially around things like acoustic guitar.

MIDI kbds? All I would say is, make sure you have 49 proper sized keys minimum and at LEAST a MIDI DIN output port. Note, if you have any second hand/charity shops in your area scope them out. You see some stonking keyboard kit in those for really silly money.

Dave.

All the UR interfaces come with Cubase AI Jim and that should easily be powerful enough for your puposes for quite a time and there is an upgrade discount should you need the biggy.

You would be paying a bit over the odds for the RT2 for a 4 in, 2 out AI with MIDI but the Neve "factor" is nice to have and the interface does have built in DSP. I doubt you could better the real specification for double the price and then I doubt you could hear it! The extra line ins 3/4 mean you could always use an external preamp or mixer to get two more mic channels into it.
Bottom line. If the UR-RT2 takes your fancy, go for it.

Mics? Too personal to call but a Small Diaphragm Capacitor is always handy, especially around things like acoustic guitar.

MIDI kbds? All I would say is, make sure you have 49 proper sized keys minimum and at LEAST a MIDI DIN output port. Note, if you have any second hand/charity shops in your area scope them out. You see some stonking keyboard kit in those for really silly money.

Dave.

Much appreciated Dave! You saved me a lot of money by not buying a DAW. It's probably best I start with Cubase AI anyway since I have not used a DAW in several years. That and I'll be able to understand what everything does instead of being overwhelmed by all the features. I will be sure to look into those MIDI kdbs with a MIDI DIN output port.

With that money I was going to spend on Cubase PRO, would you be able to recommend a small diaphragm capacitor?

Best,

Jim

Much appreciated Dave! You saved me a lot of money by not buying a DAW. It's probably best I start with Cubase AI anyway since I have not used a DAW in several years. That and I'll be able to understand what everything does instead of being overwhelmed by all the features. I will be sure to look into those MIDI kdbs with a MIDI DIN output port.

With that money I was going to spend on Cubase PRO, would you be able to recommend a small diaphragm capacitor?

Best,

Jim

You are very welcome Jim. Cubase, even the "lite" version is not the easiest DAW to learn but then none are really simple. At least with Cubase there is a huge forums following and peeps are happy to help. There is also a huge body of YT vids and books (bet there is a " Cubase for Dummies!) really cannot beat C for MIDI work.

SDC mics? I have two, what are now AKG P 170s but I REALLY like the SE Electronics Se8 from the review in Sound on Sound and had I anything to record these days I would buy the stereo pair package.

Dave.

Hi Dave. Thanks again for the help. Where's the best place to buy "used" equipment online? I'm thinking of just going with a better mic right off the bat if I can get one cheaper used. I was looking at Reverb.com and their prices are pretty good. I'm guessing this forum has a for sale forum as well. Where's the best place to go?

Also last question, what would be a good all around mic under $1K? I'm not looking to use it for vocals just instruments like percussion, acoustic guitar, bass etc.

Is it better to go with a pair of SDC's or should I go for a LDC? I'd really just like to have one solid mic but maybe this isn't the way to go?

Best,

Jim

Just to add, I am not a big fan of the MD421 myself. It sounds good but the mount is the most crappy I have seen. $35 for replacement and it still likes to come loose. I use one of mine for ride cymbal of all things.

As far as Condenser mics, I personally would go with separate LDC and a SDC if you are planning on recording acoustic guitar. Now that will have a bunch to do with the sound of your room. Treating a room for acoustics is way more beneficial than the actual mic-maybe, but it depends on what you are recording.

Always hard to give opinions to others, other than what works for me. Just personal experience in my room with the things I record.

Though a matched pair of Shure KSM 141's is not a bad choice. Great for drum overheads and acoustic guitar. Kick out the dog and don't record while the neighbor is mowing his yard tho...Not tried them on vocals, but use a SM7b for that mostly.

Choice of microphone(s) is a huge subject (and subjective!) Jim and I am not remotely qualified to answer you.

IF there is any kind of concensus it is that two mics are often said to be better than one on acoustic guitar? One at about 12th fret and one pointed at the lower bout. Both about a foot away. Then you will never forgive yourself if you don't try co-incident stereo! That need a matched pair of cardioids.

Dave.

Just to add, I am not a big fan of the MD421 myself. It sounds good but the mount is the most crappy I have seen. $35 for replacement and it still likes to come loose. I use one of mine for ride cymbal of all things.

Big +1 there.
If you use one regularly you should definitely consider modding a regular clip, to slide in to the slot, and hot glueing it in place.
I did that with both of mine and they're rock solid now.

imgext.php.jpeg

Back