Need a New Recording Setup

Sheba

I have recorded on a Fostex MR8-HD for years with no problems.

Unfortunately, in the last few years I've really gotten into crazy time signatures, which the Fostex cannot facilitate, as the click will only run with 1 time signature the entire time.

Which leads me to the question, what should I switch to? I really like that I don't have to mess with a computer, as all the computer lingo confuses the crap out of me. I only record one track at a time, no full band recording. I just need a fix for this time signature thing and I would also like the new one to be 16 track or more as I find that 8 is just not enough for what I'm trying to do.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks,
Ethan

I don't know enough about stand-alone recorders to know whether or how they can deal with changing time signatures.

I use both Logic and Reaper on PC, and both deal with odd and changing signatures and tempos admirably.

Are you sure you're not Rick Wakeman in disguise?

So I'm not getting why you need a configurable click to handle different time signatures unless you absolutely have to have the louder click on the first beat of the bar. Or are we talking tempo changes as well.

My Yamaha AW4416 (probably long obsolete) can do that sort of stuff, I think, but I've never had a use for it - I think it's called a Tempo Map, or somethihg like that...

Actually I never use click tracks... if I want a metronome I set up my drum machine and record a drum pattern on an actual track then work to that... helps me move stuff around later and if it's a "proper" drum pattern, helps with the whole feel / groove thing with the stuff I'm playing on top, rather than just having this robotic "Tick, tick, tick, tick" thing to play against - have you considered that option? I presume any decent sequencing / rhythm producing device can do the same thing..

Good luck..

Are you sure you're not Rick Wakeman in disguise?

So I'm not getting why you need a configurable click to handle different time signatures unless you absolutely have to have the louder click on the first beat of the bar. Or are we talking tempo changes as well.

My Yamaha AW4416 (probably long obsolete) can do that sort of stuff, I think, but I've never had a use for it - I think it's called a Tempo Map, or somethihg like that...

Actually I never use click tracks... if I want a metronome I set up my drum machine and record a drum pattern on an actual track then work to that... helps me move stuff around later and if it's a "proper" drum pattern, helps with the whole feel / groove thing with the stuff I'm playing on top, rather than just having this robotic "Tick, tick, tick, tick" thing to play against - have you considered that option? I presume any decent sequencing / rhythm producing device can do the same thing..

Good luck..

Yes we are talking tempo changes and also 7/16s and so forth that would throw off a 4/4 click anyway. The drum track thing is a good idea except I will be using a true drummer for some of the tracks and need some sort of click in it for him.

Also, I've just grown extremely partial to non-computer recording and am in need of more tracks to record what I want.

I know you said computer recording is out of the question... but in case you change your mind, MOTO Digital Performer is great for setting up click tracks. You can program the click to vary as many times as you want during a song.

But if you must stay away from computers, a drum machine can get the job done too. And you don't have to program a beat as the click. Just program a ride cymbal or some other sound. I used to do that when I was in high school and had really crappy stuff to record on.

Back