Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need new headphones with fairly better sound isolation than HD201! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Question Need new headphones with fairly better sound isolation than HD201! Any suggestions?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok, so i have now used my Sennheiser HD201 for about 3 years and now i want better headphones.

Requirements:
    - better sound isolation than HD201! This is #1 REQUIREMENT! I guess i am not looking for any open headphones then, huh?
    - USAGE AREA: i do a lot of voiceovers, sound editing and i watch a lot of movies with them, so sound quality should also be better. occasional music listening to. I do NOT plan to travel with the new headphones, so they will remain in my room!
    - earpads should be softer
    - only ONE cable!
    - BONUS if has a coil cord!
    - BONUS if the cable can be detached from the headphones, but definitely not a requirement!
    - PRICE shouldn't go much higher than $150. Yes, im completely aware that im fairly limited on my choices because of such "low" price, but yeah... it's how it is). I am also located in north of europe, so unfortunately, i cannot rely on Amazon and U.S prices. :/ I can use eBay, however.

So far, i have tried googling and taken alternatives from my previous thread, but since im a noob at this, i definitely hope for some good help on this:
    - Beyerdynamic DT770
    - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
    - Grado SR60e (apparently, the isolation on these are not good?)

I realize those 3 have their missing requirements, but yeah... do come up with suggestions! I am eager to know!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Direct Sound EX29 plus. If isolation is king, they also sound good too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastedgoat View Post
    Direct Sound EX29 plus. If isolation is king, they also sound good too.
    Wow, those are some heavily isolated headphones! :O

Unfortunately, they are out of reach for me (no shops around here have them, not even across the country and continent) and quite the nudge up from my price range if I add shipping to it, sadly. Bummer. They seem solid and quality, for sure. I will surely get them some other year.

Any other recommendations? Thanks for that suggestion, though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoshead View Post
    Wow, those are some heavily isolated headphones! :O

Unfortunately, they are out of reach for me (no shops around here have them, not even across the country and continent) and quite the nudge up from my price range if I add shipping to it, sadly. Bummer. They seem solid and quality, for sure. I will surely get them some other year.

Any other recommendations? Thanks for that suggestion, though!
    I personally use Buyer DT770s , Shure SRH840s. I can get a decent mix on the 770s but, I have to really check the mix on other sources. I also wish they were a bit lighter in weight. I’m going to buy the cheap Behringer headphones for tracking in my home studio.

Thanks
    Hmm... so far, it seems to be a pretty close race between these headphones:
    Shure SRH840 (they get good reviews, they would work great for my purposes and they are also within my budget)
    Sennheiser HD25-II (these DJ-phones seems to be another good choice, even though im not planning to travel around with my headphones)
    Beyerdynamic DT770 (these were my initial choice, but im uncertain about the sound leakage on them, but price, quality and comfort seems to be top notch on these)

Not really sure which one to go for, really... So yep, im stuck... :/ Any other alternatives?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoshead View Post
    ...uncertain about the sound leakage ...
    What do you mean, exactly? Sound in, out? Listening, mixing, tracking, environment, etc?

If you want to seal yourself in, or the world out, you need "in-ears" and either custom fit or a brand that has a lot of different earpiece types and sizes so you an effectively plug your ear canal with the earpiece.

Over-ear/on-ear headphones are not, by themselves, going to keep outside noise from entering. That's why Bose (and everyone else, now) use technology to actively cancel most outside noise. (You'd probably get a headache pretty quickly if regular headphones were sealing tightly enough to shut out external noise.)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    The buyers are very good for tracking. They completely cover the ear. I have picked up click bleed from them though.

Thanks
    I like the HD25's but I've replaced the earpads on mine with velour ones which are much more comfortable.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
    I like the HD25's but I've replaced the earpads on mine with velour ones which are much more comfortable.
    Yeah... they seem to be the most fitting for me all-around. But... which one is it? I seem to get several choices: HD25-III, HD25-1 II, HD25-II, HD25 Plus, HD25 Basic Edition.... too many choices.... heh.

and where did you order the velour ones for those?

And when i was talking about leakage, i meant that the sound should not leak TOO much to the people near me when im wearing the headphones...

Thanks
    I bought my earpads on Ebay but Sennheiser also sell them. You can also buy them in all sorts of colours. I hadn't realised that they were up to the HD25-III now.

According to John Willett (who used to work for Sennheiser UK) the differences are:
    The HD 25 has not changed from the first to the current one - they will all sound the same.

The differences were in the cable length and connector.

HD 25-1 had a 1.2m cable with a rt-angle connector.
    HD 25-1 II had a 1.5m cable with a rt-angle connector.
    HD 25 II had a 2m cable with a straight connector
    The above had a steel cable with 3.5mm jack and adaptor to " jack

HD 25-13 and HD 25-13 II were 600Ω, had a 3m cable and a " jack only.

HD 25-C II had a 2/3m coiled copper cable.

The latest versions are just re-packaged and less versions.

It's only the HD 25-SP and SP II that sounded different as they were down-rated and had a cheap headband instead of the split one.
    Last edited by jamesperrett; 3 Days Ago at 09:11. Reason: clarifying the quotation
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thread Information