Thread: Need help with Shure SM7b

Thanks

Exclamation Need help with Shure SM7b

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello all so im new to audio equipment and all that and don't know much. So recently i have been having problems with my microphone audio and having a buzzing noise in the background of my audio. I have a shure sm7b, m-audio m-track 2x2, and a dbx 286s. When i bought this stuff back in late 2018, it was working fine, but now the buzzing noise is starting to happen and i dont know how to fix it. Can someone help me out to whether sell my whole setup and go buy like a modmic or just buy a new audio interface or something?

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    Just to do basic troubleshooting, you need "another" of just about everything. Plug a different (mic, cable, interface) and see if the problem is still there. If so, try one of the other two. Try taking the 286 out of the chain and use the preamp on the M-Track. Problem still there? Go on to the next. Plug an instrument directly into the M-Track. Problem? It's the M-Track.

Thanks
    What have you discovered so far? I assume you are going XLR from SM7 to the DBX, then " to " to the m-track. If you plug headphones into the m-track and do NOT connect to the computer is the audio here clear? Then you connect to the computer and the hum/buzz/hiss or whatever start? It's probable the noise is computer hash type noise, but unless we hear it we are guessing. Ground loops, interference and other rubbish are getting in, but the system is a decent enough one - so until we hear the noise, my guess is the computer is the culprit. Could of course be dodgy cables and all that kind of thing, but with the computer disconnected is it quiet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puggs101 View Post
    Hello all so im new to audio equipment and all that and don't know much. So recently i have been having problems with my microphone audio and having a buzzing noise in the background of my audio. I have a shure sm7b, m-audio m-track 2x2, and a dbx 286s. When i bought this stuff back in late 2018, it was working fine, but now the buzzing noise is starting to happen and i dont know how to fix it. Can someone help me out to whether sell my whole setup and go buy like a modmic or just buy a new audio interface or something?
    Does the buzzing go away if you hold the mic with your hand? This can rule in or out a ground issue.
    Did you get an LED lights recently?
    Has anything changed or been replaced from when it was working in 2018?
    Are you using balanced cables form your audio interface to your monitors?
    Are those cables crossing electrical lines?
    It can be hundreds of things. You just need to troubleshoot it until you solve it.

You just have to do some basic troubleshooting methods, by replacing, changing and/or taking out things in the signal chain and the Electrical chain.
    Online Audio Mastering - Online Mastering & Mixing Studio
    Audio Production Blog - Tips & Techniques Explained In Simple Terms

Thanks
    If it worked before and doesn't work now this probably isn't the problem, but are you using a balanced (TRS) cable to connect the channel strip to the interface?

Thanks
    Having a similar problem with my setup - will let you know when I find the answer. God darn all this buzzing! Does your mic also sound weaker than before?

Thread Information