need help with recording. Not sure if this is possible

growingcow

I have some old Sony mini discs that contain some old songs that I like to save into mp3 or wave. The mini disc player still works but I'm not sure how long. There is a audio optical out and a analog out on the player. I was thinking about pumping the audio out to my computer and then just record the audio into a wave/mp3 file. But the problem is how do I get the correct loudness? I don't want the recorded audio to be too loud or to be to soft. Is there a way to record the incoming audio and have it match the same loudness as the original that's on the mini disc?

Loudness won't change at all with digital transfer. With analogue you just adjust the gain till the meters on the MD recorder match the meters on the computer. Is it a full size player with metering? or a portable thing without? Does your computer and/or interface have the right sockets? Digital would be my preference for a proper copy of the music, but analogue is still OK. Levels wise - it's like recording any source - set the levels and away you go. If you have no metering on the MD, then you just turn the gain up till it's max on the loudest part, then back it off a bit? Have I misunderstood?

Loudness won't change at all with digital transfer. With analogue you just adjust the gain till the meters on the MD recorder match the meters on the computer. Is it a full size player with metering? or a portable thing without? Does your computer and/or interface have the right sockets? Digital would be my preference for a proper copy of the music, but analogue is still OK. Levels wise - it's like recording any source - set the levels and away you go. If you have no metering on the MD, then you just turn the gain up till it's max on the loudest part, then back it off a bit? Have I misunderstood?

it is a mini disc player. The small portable ones from the late 80's early 90's. There is no metering on it. I never did any device to device recording so I'm a little out of my depth here. I can route the analog line out or optical out to the line in on the Macbook, but I'm not sure how to set the volume on the output and on recording device.

You really should go through a real audio interface, and as suggested, one with an optical input would be nice (assuming it would accept the Sony's output).

If you go the analog route, the input software would display the incoming loudness, and you could adjust the output level manually until you were sure the recorded file was not clipping (i.e., not hitting 0dBFS by a safe margin).

You really should go through a real audio interface, and as suggested, one with an optical input would be nice (assuming it would accept the Sony's output).

If you go the analog route, the input software would display the incoming loudness, and you could adjust the output level manually until you were sure the recorded file was not clipping (i.e., not hitting 0dBFS by a safe margin).

it's not many songs on the mini Disc, if there were more i would definitely look at an actual device with a real audio interface. So basically all I need to do is dial back the output level till it doesn't show clipping at the loudest point in the recording software and then I'm set.

it's not many songs on the mini Disc, if there were more i would definitely look at an actual device with a real audio interface. So basically all I need to do is dial back the output level till it doesn't show clipping at the loudest point in the recording software and then I'm set.
Yes. I still would consider at least a basic A/D converter and not rely on the Macbook's input, but give it a try. Maybe the results will be fine.

You have some audio software I assume, like audacity (it's free if you don't have it) The optical output cannot connect to anything you have, so has the player got a line level output - not the headphone output. if it has, the MacBook can be made to accept the line level just about in the sound preferences panel - click on the speaker icon. You'll find the adjustment quite coarse so getting the level right can be a pain.

Beat me to it BSG! I expect the analogue out on the MD is a 3.5mm jack so you will need a jack to 2 RCA phono plugs cable.

The analogue level really does not matter so long as you keep below 0dBfs in whatever software you are using. The 202 is 16 bits only but you should get a noise floor of -80dBfs, so you don't need to peak much hotter than -8? I would guess the DR of MD is about comparable to 16 bits anyway.

I have two "big" MD recorders and find the repro fine and "ONE DAY" I am going to integrate one into my music system! I also have shedloads of discs.

Dave.

I don't have my MD here but I believe it has a line out and not just the headphone out. I'll take a look at that speaker volume in the mac panel.

What about this, I have a couple Sabre + AKM DACs at home. What if i ran the line out into one of the DAC and then from their output into the mac? would that work better?

I don't think that I have missed this, but exactly what is the make and model of your MD unit. With this information I/we can look up the unit and tell you exactly how best to lock everything together.

Another thing that has not been mentioned is that when Sony first designed the MD system --- (did so because Philips designed the CD system and every CD or CD player that Sony made/sold, they had to pay a royalty to Philips)-- they designed it to be one step better than CDs of the time --- they made it recordable (just liked the then popular cassette tape system), but because it was digital it was possible to do a direct transfer to another MD unit without loosing quality as you did if you went from CD to cassette.

Because record companies were (even then) having problems with piracy (ie people buying a CD and then running off cassette copies for their friends, etc), Sony built into the MD recorders a copy protection system that allowed one only copy transfer if using digital copying, this protection was added to the copied MD with the result that if someone tried to copy the copied MD it would not copy.

I say all of this because if you go from your MD unit (which will have recorded the protection onto the MD when you first recorded it) to another MD unit or another device in digital format, it is quite probable that you will not be able to do anything with the copied file.

However if you go analogue from the MD unit to whatever then this copy protection does not come into operation and you can copy, edit, or whatever to your heart's content.

Being the current owner of four MD players/recorders and having used MD units professionally since they were first released if you use the analogue output from your MD unit (especially if it has "Line Out" rather than Headphone Out" and you set the correct levels on your input recording system (reaper, audacity, DAW, whatever), then I will almost guarantee that you will not notice the difference between copying in digital or analogue format and a couple of analogue leads will be a lot cheaper than having to purchase a digital interface, TOSLink optical cable, optical input card for your PC, etc.

I have done this analogue copying system for more almost 25 years for radio station broadcasts, super professional live theatre productions, client song copies, singers backing tracks for their live performances, etc and I have NEVER had a complaint that the audio quality was not good enough.

One final thing to remember is that there are two optical audio formats, the Sony TOSLink format (two channels of audio --- ie stereo left/right) and ADAT optical (8-tracks of audio for multitrack recordings) AND THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE, even though the optical cables can look the same, but even there there are two TOSLink cables, the difference being the plug at the end of the cable --- one looks a bit like the bumpers at the end of a rail-way track, the other looking a bit like a 3.5mm plug but with a hole in the centre to let through the optical light. But either type is expensive compared to an analogue cable and if going optical be sure to get GOOD quality cables, cheap ones often will fail completely or will not give good results and be sure to get the one accepted by you MD unit and whatever it is going into.

David

Hi David. I had forgotten about the copy protection! I was also dimly aware that it was possible to do a fast, digital "dump" from MD but have never investigated the process.

I have had M-Audio 2496 sound cards for many years and it LOOKS as though there is a "stripper" function in them to remove copy protection?

I really like MD and I am convinced there was some skulduggery going on that prevented it becoming THE preferred medium for car systems? Way better protected and handier than CD.

Oh yes! And go Anny to Anny, you cannot tell.

Dave.

I'd not even worry about copy protection, I've never found any of my computer systems implemented it - even when MD was popular. Domestic machines did, of course - but my pro MDs ignored it by default!

Unless you have a "pro" Sony unit, the digital route may be a problem due to their insane copy protection schemes. You may have to go the analog patch cord method.

We are not talking about machine to machine are we? He wants to go into a computer which does not have support for copy protection flags or at least, mine don’t!

Back