Need help with my setup / Interface?

Narmo

Hi all,

I want to start recording but I absolutely have no idea what equipment I need to get something done.

For now I'm recording on my Laptop (HP pavilion G6 2345sg), I have a electric guitar, a midi keyboard (Akai LPK25) and a Line-6 Toneport GX. Next month I also want to add a Alesis DM6 e-drum kit.

What is the best possibility with my equipment to record everything without switching all cables?
Do I need a audio interface? If yes, how can I switch from usb midi to 5-pin midi? (The LPK25 only has midi via usb, directly connected to my laptop.)

My budget is around 1000€ (abt. $1400).

Sorry for my bad english, I am no native speaker ;)

If you need any other information I will try to reply asap.

That Toneport is quite an old one. That's not necessarily a problem though - I have an old Toneport UX2 and you can download the latest drivers from the Line6 website. It should work fine for getting a signal from a guitar or mic into your USB Port if that's all you need. The TonePort is your Audio Interface - I didn't know this until someone on here told me either.

I record alone so generally just use the one guitar input - for most of what I do the single input on the TonePort GX would be fine for me. If you need to upgrade from the GX you could go for the latest POD UX2 (same hardware as my old TonePort UX2) which has a few more features or try something like the KA6 from Native Instruments which is similar - I've heard good things about this and am considering getting one myself if I can't get the TonePort to work on my next computer.
Komplete : Audio Interfaces : Komplete Audio 6 | Products

You'll need some recording software known as a DAW. By far the best value for money is Reaper - I've used a couple over the last 10 - 12 years and haven't felt any need to change since I discovered Reaper. It's free to test for a month and then it's doesn't cost much to get a license after that.

The other thing you will probably want is some sort of amp simulation software. This is a virtual collection of amps that live in your computer. The TonePort originally came with amp sim called GearBox. GearBox was fine at the time (about 5 years ago) but is starting to show it's age now - there is far better amp sims out now. I am currently looking for one and have started a thread about it.

You should be able to get this sort of set up for well under 1000 Euros, probably under 500 Euros. Which conveniently leaves you with 500 Euros to buy a telecaster.

I don't know anything about MIDI sorry.

Hi all,

I want to start recording but I absolutely have no idea what equipment I need to get something done.

For now I'm recording on my Laptop (HP pavilion G6 2345sg), I have a electric guitar, a midi keyboard (Akai LPK25) and a Line-6 Toneport GX. Next month I also want to add a Alesis DM6 e-drum kit.

What is the best possibility with my equipment to record everything without switching all cables?
Do I need a audio interface? If yes, how can I switch from usb midi to 5-pin midi? (The LPK25 only has midi via usb, directly connected to my laptop.)

My budget is around 1000€ (abt. $1400).

Sorry for my bad english, I am no native speaker ;)

If you need any other information I will try to reply asap.

Hi Narmo and welcome.

First off! Did you know there was a safety recall out for that laptop's power lead? If not, get on it ASAP*!

Otherwise the PC looks well capable.I have an i3 HP lappy and mine is easily capable of 20tracks of Cubase.
I note too that it has a USB 3.0 port? Might be good to think of a USB 3.0 external drive for music storage. Keeping the internal 54000rpm drive as big as possible and clean will keep it speedy.

MIDI: Now I know you have the Line 6 but I would duggest a much better interface and for low latency, MIDI ports and general all round BSH reliability you will not beat the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

*The company I worked for recently had a very bad experience with some supplied equipment out of their control. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. So even good people can get caught.

Dave. (JDOD: You might not know anything about MIDI but Great Minds they say!)

I already have Reaper installed on my computer, but unfortunately i can not record my guitar with reaper (LPK25 works fine!), but I think it's just because of some software issues as I can not select the drivers of the Toneport GX within Reaper.

The Komplete Audio 6 looks interesting, even though I'm happy with my Toneport GX for now. Maybe I will go for it next year.

I already have Reaper installed on my computer, but unfortunately i can not record my guitar with reaper (LPK25 works fine!), but I think it's just because of some software issues as I can not select the drivers of the Toneport GX within Reaper.

The Komplete Audio 6 looks interesting, even though I'm happy with my Toneport GX for now. Maybe I will go for it next year.

Bit out of date now but download Asio4all. That should get the Reaper/L6 problem sorted.

Dave.

Hi ecc83,

thanks! :)

I already have a USB 3.0 external drive (500GB).

Will the Komplete Audio 6 be sufficient if I have 2 MIDI instruments? (LPK25 and Alesis DM6)

How exactly should I connect the devices to the interface, is a USB to MIDI adapter enough?

Hi Dave,

I already have the Asio4all driver installed, but it still does not get input from the Toneport GX.

I will try to reinstall my computer and hope it works then.

Hi Dave,

I already have the Asio4all driver installed, but it still does not get input from the Toneport GX.

I will try to reinstall my computer and hope it works then.

Have you tried the Line6 website for the latest drivers? I had this problem when I "upgraded" to a Windows8 Computer. My TonePort UX2 no longer worked. I used Line6 Monkey to get the latest drivers and then it worked no problem.

I have the latest drivers, that's not the problem. But I'm sure I will find a solution for this. Possibly I will get a new computer in a few weeks, that should help. ;)

LPK25 and Alesis DM6: AFAICT neither of those devices have any DIN MIDI ports on them? Very slightly forgivable on a (wtgr!) cheap keyboard..NOT so for a drum kit!

It might therefore become slightly problematic to connect everything USB to the laptop. I would suggest a good quality USB hub (not a Pound Shop cracker barrel jobbie!) with a power unit to run the keys and DM6.

The Line 6, being an interface must go into a port on the PC. If you get the KA6, same will apply. Stand by! Hobby Horse a'rearing!

See! IF both those devices HAD MIDI in, out (thru would be nice) you could connect keys to drums and play them from the keyboard as well as hitting things which might be most convenient at times? If MIDI "things" continue to be USB only we shall end up with a generation that knows nothing of the possibilities of chaining instruments together.

I dare say is it POSSIBLE to route such kit inside the PC but I do not have a clue! (MIDI OX?)

The KA6 would easily cope HAD the gear got DIN ports! As it is it is still the best AI extant in its price range for MIDI because of the very low latency. It comes bundled with Cubase and that might be the very DAW you need to sort the MIDI snafu!

Dave.

I have the latest drivers, that's not the problem. But I'm sure I will find a solution for this. Possibly I will get a new computer in a few weeks, that should help. ;)

Hmm? I doubt it. An i5 laptop should be able to cope with anything short of scoring a new Potter.
If you are getting a desktop can I make so bold as to suggest you put an M-Audio 2496 PCI card in it?

Thus equipped you are "MIDI sorted" . I still suggest the KA6 but you would then have 32 MIDI channels at your disposal.

Dave.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry so much about having to switch a few cables around to record different instruments. Are you really going to be hopping off drums to keyboard to guitar in seconds, trying to lay all tracks down as quickly as possible? The minute it takes is minor, in comparison to the time it takes to do multiple takes and get a good one. Yes, when switching MIDI devices, you'll need to go back into Reaper and tell it which one is the active one, still it takes seconds.
Have your cables ready near your interface or computer, label them so you know which is which. Time saved.

I wouldn't worry so much about having to switch a few cables around to record different instruments. Are you really going to be hopping off drums to keyboard to guitar in seconds, trying to lay all tracks down as quickly as possible? The minute it takes is minor, in comparison to the time it takes to do multiple takes and get a good one. Yes, when switching MIDI devices, you'll need to go back into Reaper and tell it which one is the active one, still it takes seconds.
Have your cables ready near your interface or computer, label them so you know which is which. Time saved.

No need to swap cables in either event Mike?
I just see peeps as being at the QWERTY and having a synth keyboard nearby. The drum kit will need to be "gone over to" and smacked maybe just to put in one note!

If OP uses a hub as I suggested he will only need to select the device in his DAW software but still physically move to play each instrument. I am NO drummer but I would have though having two keyboards and a laptop with you is a recipe for going arse over tit! (how many monitors have you swiped with a Precision headstock?!) .

Maybe I am just an ancient, out of touch old fart but I see a real danger of losing a world standard way of interconnecting MIDI instruments. Just today! Check out SoS, Panda Midibeam. Very clever bit of kit, very low latency (0.5mS) wireless MIDI device. Not a BIT of use on pennypinched kit without DINs.

Dave.

Whether USB or DIN, multiple MIDI devices can usually be selected in the DAW. For DIN, as long as there is MIDI In/Out you can daisy chain. That is the reason they have channels. USB, not 100% sure but it should just pick it up and worse case, select the channel. But if one is just playing one, then MIDI All is selected and the MIDI data should come through.

Okay, so the best thing I can do is:

1. Buy a drum kit with MIDI in/out
2. Buy the KA6 Interface
3. Buy the M-Audio 2496 Card

And if possible a new keyboard?

If everything works I will have the Alesis DM6 shortly and will try to buy another drum module with MIDI in/out, so that should be solved. The M-Audio 2496 is hardly available here but I will try to get one.

Okay, so the best thing I can do is:

1. Buy a drum kit with MIDI in/out
2. Buy the KA6 Interface
3. Buy the M-Audio 2496 Card

And if possible a new keyboard?

If everything works I will have the Alesis DM6 shortly and will try to buy another drum module with MIDI in/out, so that should be solved. The M-Audio 2496 is hardly available here but I will try to get one.

Keyboard, unless the new one does something your current one has, you don't need a new one. My keyboard I purchased in 89', MIDI hasn't changed. Drum kit, most use USB, if you can get one with DIN, fine, but you may be hard pressed to find one. On points 2 & 3, it is more either or, but you don't need both.

The 2496 is a PCI card, if you are on a laptop, it won't work. I suggest going with USB and be done with it. I have the M-Audio 192, love the card, but I also use a Tascam which is USB, I would forgo the 2496 all together. They are good cards, just dated and USB interfaces offer much better connections and provide pre-amps for microphones and line in options.

Whether USB or DIN, multiple MIDI devices can usually be selected in the DAW. For DIN, as long as there is MIDI In/Out you can daisy chain. That is the reason they have channels. USB, not 100% sure but it should just pick it up and worse case, select the channel. But if one is just playing one, then MIDI All is selected and the MIDI data should come through.

And those without/don't want computers can go fish?

PCI cards: OP said he was getting a new PC and so if desktop the 2496 is £20 here now and is still faster than most USB/FW AIs for MIDI! (not the KA6). I will agree the 192 would be better but they are like hen's teeth now.

Dave.

And those without/don't want computers can go fish?

Dave.

That is a little different and not what was discussed in this thread. Not many people are using MIDI without a computer and those that are using without a computer, already know how to set them up. The only reason to be concerned with DIN is for legacy systems. A system that people may have used 20 years ago. Multiple MIDI keyboards, sound modules, etc. Very few new people are doing it these days, unless there is a sound you need to get from the generators from a sound module or keyboard.

But you correct, if you do want to use legacy equipment, DIN is a must. But I will contend, not many are doing this and most have incorporated a DAW. Ableton Live and controllers is an example of how it has moved on.

But based on what was stated in this thread, a computer is very much in the middle of it all.

That is a little different and not what was discussed in this thread. Not many people are using MIDI without a computer and those that are using without a computer, already know how to set them up. The only reason to be concerned with DIN is for legacy systems. A system that people may have used 20 years ago. Multiple MIDI keyboards, sound modules, etc. Very few new people are doing it these days, unless there is a sound you need to get from the generators from a sound module or keyboard.

But you correct, if you do want to use legacy equipment, DIN is a must. But I will contend, not many are doing this and most have incorporated a DAW. Ableton Live and controllers is an example of how it has moved on.

But based on what was stated in this thread, a computer is very much in the middle of it all.

Yes ok I admit a bit OT but it is my firm conviction that we lose DIN at our peril. That wireless device I mentioned uses them and a several mixers and gear you would not expect.
Yes, you CAN buy a USB to DIN host but at $100 a pop!

Dave.

Yes, you CAN buy a USB to DIN host but at $100 a pop!

That is exactly was I was looking for, and ~80€ is not that much. I found the 2496 Card here for abt. 100€, which is not that cheap.

If I buy the KA6 Interface, is a adapter for XLR/6.3mm enough or do I need anything else to connect my guitar?

Back