Need help with Microphone purchase

SRoyC

Hello friends and fellow members

This is my first post here, so I hope it is not the wrong section to post.

I am planning to buy a microphone for home use, mainly to record songs, to connect with my desktop (sometimes with a smartphone). The main use of the microphone would be record songs. My computer has Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3, AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, 16GB DDD4 memory and Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Graphics card.

My budget is limited and for example, one I found on Amazon India is a BM800 condenser Microphone, but as this is my first post, I can not share the link.

Could members here please guide me on this?

Do I need to buy a separate sound card to use this microphone properly?

Thank you.

Last edited:
If it's this kit:

Amazon.com: ZINGYOU Condenser Microphone Bundle, BM-800 Mic Kit with Adjustable Mic Suspension Scissor Arm, Shock Mount and Double-Layer Pop Filter for Studio Recording & Brocasting (BM-800 Microphone Bundle): Musical Instruments

it includes a very cheap "interface" kind of dongle but the comments suggest is is not good, and probably will add noise. So, short answer is that it may work, but not well unless you buy a separate audio interface (external, USB connected "soundcard").

So, at that price-point, a plain USB microphone might have better sound, at the expense of not being able to be used with a separate audio interface. But, around here, most everyone would recommend a decent mic with a good audio interface to start.

It is a budget system that will get you started. If nothing else, it will help you figure out the recording process, but don't expect too much from it.

If it's this kit:

Amazon.com: ZINGYOU Condenser Microphone Bundle, BM-800 Mic Kit with Adjustable Mic Suspension Scissor Arm, Shock Mount and Double-Layer Pop Filter for Studio Recording & Broadcasting (BM-800 Microphone Bundle): Musical Instruments[/url]

it includes a very cheap "interface" kind of dongle but the comments suggest is is not good, and probably will add noise. So, the short answer is that it may work, but not well unless you buy a separate audio interface (external, USB connected "soundcard").

So, at that price-point, a plain USB microphone might have better sound, at the expense of not being able to be used with a separate audio interface. But, around here, most everyone would recommend a decent mic with a good audio interface to start.

Thank you for your reply.

Sadly, good quality condenser microphones with an audio interface is extremely costly in my country.

Would you please comment on this USB Microphone which otherwise has very positive reviews both on the Amazon and on YouTube?

Fifine T669 Condenser USB Microphone Kit with Adjustable Scissor Arm Stand Shock Mount for PC and MAC o Amazon India, sadly I am not yet allowed to post any link.

Thank you for your reply.

Sadly, good quality condenser microphones with an audio interface is extremely costly in my country.

Would you please comment on this USB Microphone which otherwise has very positive reviews both on the Amazon and on YouTube?

Fifine T669 Condenser USB Microphone Kit with Adjustable Scissor Arm Stand Shock Mount for PC and MAC o Amazon India, sadly I am not yet allowed to post any link.
[edit/kr - link added]
Amazon.com: FIFINE Studio Condenser USB Microphone Computer PC Microphone Kit with Adjustable Scissor Arm Stand Shock Mount for Instruments Voice Overs Recording Podcasting YouTube Karaoke Gaming Streaming-T669: Musical Instruments

Well, I can't comment on something I've never actually used, but I watched one (poorly done) review on YouTube where the user was using the mic with the foam windscreen and it sounded Ok on spoken word.

The one thing I notice about this USB microphone is that it does not have a headphone jack on the mic, which can be a useful feature because it gives you direct monitoring of what is going into the microphone without any latency. Maybe not a deal killer, but you might find that it's limiting to have to set up one device for input (the USB mic) and use the system audio for output. At least, having a direct monitoring capability is something you might research and see if it's a feature that you'll wish you had.

This is a USB mic with that feature and you can see the headphone jack on the front. (I don't have any thoughts about whether it's a suitable option, or even available in your region - it was just listed in the Amazon page with the T669.)

Amazon.com: USB Microphone 192KHz/24Bit Zero Latency Monitoring MAONO AU-PM401 USB Computer Condenser Cardioid Mic with Mute Button for Podcasting, Gaming, YouTube, Streaming, Recording Music: Home Audio & Theater

Note, the diaphragm size of this mic is 0.16" which means it's not really a "large" diaphragm condenser (LDC). The AU-PM422 model has the larger(er) condenser, but is more expensive. Whether this is useful for your situation, or creates more problems, I don't know. We've had lots of questions from folks using LDC microphones in relatively noisy locations, and keeping those kinds of mics from picking up *everything* in the environment can be a challenge.

Good luck.

They're not terrible mics, and the non-usb version runs from 5v unbalanced to 48V balanced.

Do you mean this one Rob? Bm800 Dynamic Condenser Microphone Sound Studio Audio Recording Mic with Shock Mount for Broadcasting Ktv Singing Silver & Black: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

If so I have had two and as you say, not nearly as bad as the fantastically low price might suggest.

They are versatile in that they come with an XLR to 3.5mm jack cable and can thus just be plugged into the mic jack of a laptop. If at some point you wished to buy an audio interface or mixer, they can be used with a standard XLR-XLR mic cable and phantom power.

The other option is a USB mic. Here the sound quality is independent of the sound card's recording quality though you are still at its mercy for replay. I have to say though that in over 10 years messing with computers I have never had a bad sound card*.

For the money, £30-45, you will find the Citronics CCU3 as good as any at the price. My son has both (as do I) and he has compared them on classical acoustic guitar. He prefers the more expensive Citronics but admits the BM-800 (through a Behringer UMC202HD) is very nearly as good.

Since you have to buy at this level the choice really comes down to which method of operation suits you best.

Should have added...The quality control for the BMs is very poor. We were lucky and both of ours worked fine but there have been many stories of people having problem. I suggest, buy from Amazon because they are very good about returns and money. Test the mic the day it arrives.

*Latency is usually pretty poor however.

Dave.

It looks like the Citronics aren't available in India.

Although I haven't used the Fifine 669, there were a couple of online tests that sounded decent, although they noted that it was very sensitive to overload, and the volume knob was a bit "touchy". This is one review:

You might look for a Samson C01U. It won't be as low cost as the BM800 offshoots, (Zingyou, PowerPak, Wright) but I suspect you will find the quality control a step up over the really low cost mics.

The Samson looks good Rich but likely over £100 delivered to OP?

Reading the first post again I spot "smart phone". The use of that means he must go for a USB mic.

I have yet to try my Citronics on my Sony Android phone but I am pretty sure it will work.

Dave.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind assistance.

After searching continuously for the last three days, I have come to the conclusion that even after increasing my budget by 100%, there are only two brands available either online or offline in USB condenser microphone category. These are Maono and Fifine. Both of these are actually imported and marketed in India, none are manufactured here. Interestingly, the only amazon.in has choices available. The other online retailer Flipkart hardly has any variety to offer.

This is a bundle from Fifine (can't post the link) Fifine T669 Condenser USB Microphone Kit with Adjustable Scissor Arm Stand Shock Mount for PC and MAC available on Amazon India.

So which one I should go for?

I understand that these brands are neither common, nor popular in Europe, but sadly, these are the best I can get for my budget. Hence if experienced members here could be kind enough to guide me, I would be really grateful.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind assistance.

After searching continuously for the last three days, I have come to the conclusion that even after increasing my budget by 100%, there are only two brands available either online or offline in USB condenser microphone category. These are Maono and Fifine. Both of these are actually imported and marketed in India, none are manufactured here. Interestingly, the only amazon.in has choices available. The other online retailer Flipkart hardly has any variety to offer.

This is a bundle from Fifine (can't post the link) Fifine T669 Condenser USB Microphone Kit with Adjustable Scissor Arm Stand Shock Mount for PC and MAC available on Amazon India.

So which one I should go for?

I understand that these brands are neither common, nor popular in Europe, but sadly, these are the best I can get for my budget. Hence if experienced members here could be kind enough to guide me, I would be really grateful.

Go for the T669. I doubt there is anything to chose between the performance of the sub £100 capacitor USB mics and if my two Citronics are anything to go by you will be pleased.

Do use Amazon. I am not a big fan of their tax policies but they are very fair about returns should you have a problem.

My son sent me the attached just today. That is the Citronics, I would expect the T669 to be AS good, maybe a lower noise floor being a 24 bit device?

Dave.

Attachments

• 2020-10-09 Mozart variations by Sor Op01.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
You need to realise that these are not really even brands. They are cheap mass produced things that have an acceptable sound to many people. The USB versions will work reasonably well used in close when the mic gain is not critical but really you need a proper pre-amp. Not only are they used for recording but they are used for replay too when you have proper monitor loudspeakers. However, you'll find that where you record has a huge implication for the results. Most people start their recording progress with a modest mic and modest everything really and get used to how their DAW works and how their recorded music sounds on cheap old earbuds, their car, the decent hifi a friend has and things like that - then you progress. You've not really explained what you want to record? Your songs? As in voice and guitar, or voice and piano or even voice and backing track. The mic you are looking at is bright and quite hard sounding. If that is not what you want, then perhaps something different would be better - but we don't know what you want to do. Why do you want, for example, the adjustable mic arm? Are you going to be a DJ on a radio station? A normal, floor mounted boom stand would be so much more useful.

If you can explain a little about what you will be recording - what software you intend using and what these recordings are actually for - we can give better advice.

Me personally - I avoid USB mics because you can only ever have one at a time. What if you want to sing and play an instrument at the same time. An interface is much more useful as you grow.

Evening Rob, I agree with your last post in most respects but the chap cannot afford a decent 'XLR' capacitor mic AND an interface. He also wants to use the mic with hos smartphone and that means it must be a USB mic.
Do you find anything seriously wrong with my son's recording of the Mozart? If so please tell me and we will take steps, if we can, to correct it. The mic by the way was a good mtr from the guitar, he is blessed with a very quiet flat (most of the time!) I found the level to be just about bang on? Averaging around -20dBfs with a single peak to -6.

Yes, all these cheap cap' mics are much of a muchness but they DO work and the build quality is remarkably good for the money. USB mics have come a long was since their inception. No, I would also not suggest one as the basis for a home studio doing a variety of works and techniques, the AI and a choice of mic type is of course the way to go but even the cheapest usable (by MY lights) AI will set you back £80, the Berry UMC204HD. A hundred gets you a foot on the ladder for an LDC/SDC or even an SM58. Add stands and cables and £300 is gone.

We all has to do the best we can with what we's got.

Dave.

I've got two or three somewhere -bought on a whim, and they're crazily good for the money. I'm firmly of the opinion that they're probably responsible for so many YouTube videos having decent sound. Not good for everything, but with a bit of EQ - quite usable.

Dave,

I gave the Mozart a listen finally, and all I can say is that I'M JEALOUS!!!. I wish I could play like that. Give your son some major props for his talent.

As for the sound, not being familiar with the sound of his guitar, I can't comment on how faithful the recording is, but it seemed to be acceptably quiet. You can hear a bit of noise at the fade-out but I know some of it is room noise. Certainly there's nothing foul. It will be interesting hearing the Mackie soon.

As for requests... how about Mood For A Day from Steve Howe. :)

Probably more his style, something from Vivaldi's 4 Seasons would be nice.

Dave,

I gave the Mozart a listen finally, and all I can say is that I'M JEALOUS!!!. I wish I could play like that. Give your son some major props for his talent.

As for the sound, not being familiar with the sound of his guitar, I can't comment on how faithful the recording is, but it seemed to be acceptably quiet. You can hear a bit of noise at the fade-out but I know some of it is room noise. Certainly there's nothing foul. It will be interesting hearing the Mackie soon.

As for requests... how about Mood For A Day from Steve Howe. :)

Probably more his style, something from Vivaldi's 4 Seasons would be nice.

Rich, although he has always been interested in classical music he has put in thousands of hours on rock and jazz. He has worked through all the Beatles stuff. We used to jam Quo songs, me on bass and trying to sing. AC/DC, big Django fan, Clapton.
He has got into his classical guitar due to being in lockdown and even now there is little work, playing or teaching.

He has sent me a very brief first bash at a Brandenburg, part played on classical, part electric and he might use distorted electric to simulate the brass parts.

Dave.

Back