need help improving ability to identify kick/drum patterns

hiphopsupamix

hey guys,

in order to improve on my ReDrum drum patterns that tend to be very boring and repetitive i.e. k---s--k-k--s--- (or some minor variation of that) I'm trying to learn from the professionals by replicating the drum patterns of popular songs

this is proving to be quite frustrating and difficult as although the snare pattern is easy to identify, I'm finding the kick patterns very hard to replicate :s

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to improve my ability to identify these kick/drum patterns and also, if I posted a few examples would anyone be able to help me identify the patterns?

thanks!

Start with the metronome. That was my first intro to Redrum, when I thought I had programmed this amazingly complex and cool pattern, only to discover that I missed like 3 beats! Once you're able to get the click track synching up with whatever you're listening to, it becomes sooooo much easier to figure out how to line up those drum hits. Then, just go with one drum at a time. Select your kick, for example, and then punch it it. Hit "play" with the kick still going, and see if it fits. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Seriously, getting familiar with the metronome, is the only way to learn this properly.

Purge said:
Start with the metronome. That was my first intro to Redrum, when I thought I had programmed this amazingly complex and cool pattern, only to discover that I missed like 3 beats! Once you're able to get the click track synching up with whatever you're listening to, it becomes sooooo much easier to figure out how to line up those drum hits. Then, just go with one drum at a time. Select your kick, for example, and then punch it it. Hit "play" with the kick still going, and see if it fits. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Seriously, getting familiar with the metronome, is the only way to learn this properly.

thanks for teh reply,

so you mean match the tempo of my Reason song to the the song I'm trying to replicate and then study how the metronome syncs up with the drum pattern I'm trying to recreate?

I think that's what you mean but I just want to be sure

Exactly. Just keep moving the metronome counter up and down until it's in sync with the song's beat. Once you get there, start everything over so that you can get the "heavy click" of the metronome on to beat 1 of the song. Everything will be so much easier to figure out after that.

Purge said:
Exactly. Just keep moving the metronome counter up and down until it's in sync with the song's beat. Once you get there, start everything over so that you can get the "heavy click" of the metronome on to beat 1 of the song. Everything will be so much easier to figure out after that.

cool, I'll give it a try :)

I've never really used the Metronome much before

thanks

I have a Boss Dr. Rhythm drum machine and started out with the simplist patterns and then progressed to creating the more complex patterns and then linking different patterns together to create an interesting drum track.

For me, a guitarist, I always hated doing the drum tracks and treated it as a chore. But, after listening to my songs and discovering the weakest link was the lack of attention I pay to the drums, I have since mended my ways.

Good luck.

Back