Need Help Finding a Suitable Mixer/ Audio Interface for Podcasting

AeroTuck

Hello!

I have spent a number of hours in that last few weeks trying to find the goldie locks setup I need for podcasting.

My aim is to get a mixer or audio interface that can output multiple tracks over USB. Although, I am also hoping this device has levels and an EQ. Price is not necessarily a deal-breaker, I just want a 'all-in-one' device.

Currently, I have been working with the Yamaha MG12XU, but the output volume is always too low over USB, and it only allows for a single track (2 if you split it into L/R) recording. I almost jumped on the Zoom Livetrack L-8, but the lack of EQ has made me keep searching.

Anyone have any ideas of what would be the best next step? Or perhaps something to compliment the MG12XU that will provide me with solution? Any help is much appreciated!

A typical DAW with an interface with enough ins and outs would do this? There are a few fader panels if you need real faders, or of course you could use a small version of the X32 mixers with a computer attached. What exactly do you need, in terms of spec?

I really don't need a ton. Just at least four inputs, with the ability for multitrack recording.

Apologies if this is more simple than I am making it. I am pretty new to all things audio recording, so any suggestions are welcome.

Why do you need EQ? We typically do the EQ in the mixing phase. Even digital mixers tend to output a dry track over USB, though there may be some that don't or give you the option. Just start digging into the digital mixer manuals to see what you can find.

Just spotted this and my recent discussions with my musically gifted but technically challenged son is I think moot.

He has in France a Soundcraft 8FX USB mixer. I bought it and sent it to him but had only the briefest time to play with it myself.

He reports that is has some serious shortcomings for his purpose, recording electric guitar and sometimes vocals (SM57) notably...

Pan, EQ, channel level and master volume slider do NOT affect the USB signal sent to the PC. I can think of reasons why this is so and I am pretty sure most small USB mixers will have the same routing paradigm. This does not help son though!

I have thus bought him a Behringer UMC 204 HD and showed him that feeding the 202 line inputs from the main outs on the 8FX WILL give him all those functions. He is visiting sis' at the moment but will I hope report back with good news once back in France.

Dave.

I know a lot of people using the Rode Procaster. Covers the whole shebang including phone inputs, multi-tracking to USB *and* to onboard Micro SD, SFX pads, mix-minus for phone inputs (including BT input), basic EQ curves, auto-ducking on input 1, 4 adjustable headphone outs plus engineer out, (there's more). Remarkably well thought-out device from what I've seen.

Back