Need Help - Building my studio up

Vision_1

I worked in a studio before digital became popular. I finished my first album with a recording label in Ft. Lauderdale. I started putting together my own studio about 6 months ago and need some advice. I purchased the Mackie 32x8, AKG 340 Monitor headphones, SP1200 drum machine, Ensoniq EPS (w/8-expander), Yamaha SPX90, Packard Bell 166 w/32 Ram, 2.5 (I need a serious update). I'm in the process of buying some monitors. I think I'm gonna go with Mackie's HR824. Anyway, my question is how can I maximize my studio - converting it to digital but utilizing my Analog board?

Vision: The ability to see the invisible..

You will just need a music software, (Digital Performer, Cubase VST, Pro-Tools) whatever.

You then sinc everything up midi via through
a interface then through your mixer - no prob

we have a similar setup
Compaq 64Ram/Cubase & MAC Peforma/D.P
Fostex 20x8 mixer/microexpress 4x6/ASR10 Master controller/Planett Phatt/JV1080/JV880/MPC2000/DAT/Guitar/
CDRW recorder

Hey cool. Another question for you Bliss: About how many gigs are you using, or, are you dropping st8 to an ADAT, or hardrive? I'm assuming I will need a phat sound card to go with the software. Anyone have any suggestions on a card that could give me that professional sound without that professional price?

Vision: The ability to see the invisible

you are in the interface league now. Not a soundcard perse, but a card that accepts multiple inputs and midi. These puppies run from $500 on up. But you will definately want a hot card. MOTU has a great line, as does Echo with its Layla. Note you will want a boatload of RAM (no less than 128) and a huge hard drive. Of course opinions and preferances vary. Some swear by external storage (ADAT, minidisk) others by multiple hard drives. But the PC will be the core of the analog to digital game so beef it up.

I'm with Even, beef up your computer. If you can afford HR824s, you can afford a Pentium 600, 256 RAM, and a 30 Gig 7200 hard drive. Oh yeah, you'll need one of those $500 sound cards.

Back