Need advice on starter equipment for recording. Warning, I have no clue!

Coyote88

Hi, I'm new to the forum. You will probably have to laugh at my ignorance, but here goes...

I play bluegrass. I play several different instruments, all acoustic, including guitar, mandolin, banjo, and upright bass.

I have tried to record in the past with cheap (or free) equipment and software, but I'm looking for a little better quality now. I can spend a little, but not too much since I will probably only record a few songs per year.... I don't need anything professional, just recording songs I write for personal use....

My main questions are:

1. What computer? I'd like to use my Dell Inspiron 1720 with Vista, but I don't know anything about sound card vs. quality, and how much it will affect recording. Can I use the one I have, or had I better think about a new one? If so, what should I be looking for?

2. What software? I need something easy to use (not too complex), wallet friendly, and something I can record several tracks with different instruments over top of each other....

3. What Microphone(s)? I don't have any pickups in my instruments now, should I consider some? Or can I use a microphone and play near it? Any suggestions on a decent mic that's fairly universal, or do I need a different one for different instruments, vocals, etc.?

4. Anything else I'm overlooking?? If I'm sounding real dumb, please let me know and why!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Michael

As far as computers, it's always better to have a dedicated one, but you can use a laptop for your purposes, although it sounds like the PC you have is outdated. My DAW is Studio One, very easy to use and relatively inexpensive. You will need condenser mic's (at least one but two may come in handy) - large diaphragm. Don't use pick ups or plug directly into the interface, always use your condenser mic, it will be good for instruments and vocals. I started with a used Rode NT1A ($70), then a used Sterling Audio Mic for $150, now a Neumann TLM-102 (used $500). I notice the difference in the mics, but as a beginner you can use pretty much anything within your budget. You should also pick up a set of monitors, not too cheap. I use M Audio BX5's ($300/pair). They work fine once I got used to them.

Hi Michael and welcome.

The laptop is a bit of a stumbling block but mainly because of Vista! This OS was a bit notorious for not playing well with a lot of audio hardware (mostly Msofts fault but the audio peeps did drag their feet on drivers!) .

I would strongly advise an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium*. Not only is 7 far better served with drivers but will in fact be a lighter "hit" on the computer. If you can, up the memory to 4G.

All that said, I did find an Audio Interface that took Blista in its stride without a blink. The Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and there really isn't a better interface for the money anyway.

As a newb you may not know?....For audio use you need to make some optimizations to the way the computer operates. These can be deep and go on a bit but the basic, most important ones are...

Disable Windows sounds, those irritating bleeps and bloops. Good idea IMHO to disable the internal "sound card" . Optional but I would certainly kill it while I installed better audio gear.

Disable all and everything to do with "wireless".

Disable automatic updates (set it for "notify but don't install")

Optional again but whatever anti-virus software you have I would remove and use Microsoft Security Essentials.

*Windows 7 64bits for preff' because it allows much more than ~3.5G of ram but much depends upon what the laptop allows and can take. You can download W7 test programs to see what your PC is capable off. In any case, you can still do a H of a lot of music with just 2gigs!

Rock on,

Dave.

a lot of bluegrass music used to be performed (for recording or broadcast) with all the players in a semi-circle arrangement around a single mic. the soloist would move a little closer and "work the mic" then move back into the group position.

bullseye.jpg

there are any number of relatively cheap large diaphragm cardioid condenser mics that would be suitable. most all of them will require 48 volt phantom power from your mixer or computer interface. several which i own that might work for you include the ~ $100 MXL V67... (thanks harvey gerst)

MXL V67G Large Capsule Condenser Microphone - Newegg.com

and the ~ $200 Rode NT1.

Rode NT1-A | Sweetwater.com

you can do some google or site searches on both these mics, or for alternate possibilities.

reaper is a cheap but serviceable software. there is a large grassroots support community at...

REAPER Forums - Cockos Confederated Forums

Thanks so much everyone. Some of that was still over my head but I'm learning!

It sounds like I should probably start with:

Upgrade to Windows 7. I tested and my computer should easily handle the 32 bit version, a little iffy on the 64.

Get a free version of recording software for now.

Buy an interface. (Still trying to figure out what it is and what it does exactly... google is trying to teach me)

Buy a decent Mic.

Buy monitors? Aren't monitors just speakers? Is there any way I can get by cheaper for now, without the $300?

Anything else?

Thanks so much everyone. Some of that was still over my head but I'm learning!

It sounds like I should probably start with:

Upgrade to Windows 7. I tested and my computer should easily handle the 32 bit version, a little iffy on the 64.

Get a free version of recording software for now.

Buy an interface. (Still trying to figure out what it is and what it does exactly... google is trying to teach me)

Buy a decent Mic.

Buy monitors? Aren't monitors just speakers? Is there any way I can get by cheaper for now, without the $300?

Anything else?

Ok, go for Win 7 32 bits. You probably can't put enough memory in the laptop to make 64bits that much better anyway. Moving from Vista to 7 should be easy since 7 is the next OS "up". Hopping over one, XP to W7 is rather trickier but "I" managed it so almost anyone else should!

Free software? I strongly suggest Reaper which is free until you feel bad about it but then it is really cheap.

The Audio Interface, basics of...
It does several jobs which combine the work of several separate devices and does them rather better than most.
1) Microphone pre amp which lifts the signal to a level that can be used by the....
2) Analogue to Digital converter which then sends that signal, almost always via USB these days, to the computer.
3)Back via USB comes the digital signal post recording (or indeed ANY other signal, CD, Tube, whatever in the PC) to feed the...
4) Digital to Analogue converter which produces the sound signal to drive external devices such as headphones or (active) monitor loudspeakers and MOST importantly, the AI provides CONTROL of this signal level.

In "control" of all this conversion are the "drivers" and these should be "ASIO" drivers since they alone will deliver low "latency" tho' this last might not be an issue for you straight away.

Yes, there are other ways to accomplish tasks 1 to 4 but NOT in such a compact and economical form nor usually to the same degree of sound quality.

Monitors: Yes they are speakers but a bit different from your run of the mill RED audiobox jobbies and MILES better than computer speakers. Probably 90% of home recordists use "active" monitors because they can accept the "line level" signal coming from the AI but if you have a decent hi fi rig you can feed the AI to the AUX or tape inputs of the amplifier and use that. Best to look at proper monitors fairly soon but speakers will likely be much better than headphones which CAN be used but are not the best solution.

"Anything else?" Yes! Try to get some basic electrical knowledge. Amps Volts and Ohms and try to understand level conventions and decibels...dBV, dBu, dBFS mV...etc.

Not a bit of good saying "I can't handle technical stuff". This stuff IS technical, always was!

Dave.

PreSonus has a free version of Studio One, that, IIRC, lets you record unlimited tracks, and has a few simple effects/processors included (channel strip w/3-band Eq and compressor, delay, 1 style of reverb). That ought to be enough to get you going.

Back