Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need advice please

Thanks

Need advice please

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, im new here, just wanted to ask couple of questions.

Now i want to start producing music on my own pc, got a bunch of home studio stuff and now i only have to get little things to have it done.

I was really confused about either getting a Midi with pads or to get a separated Midi keyboard and Midi Pads alone.

Im a **piano player** and i already own a YAMAHA YDP-143 which has a usb connection port.

so what should i do ?

Should i get a 25-key Midi with pads, or to get a 49 keyboard and a separated Pads Midi instead ?

Thanks
    For me a no brainer - I have an 88 key master keyboard and it has loads of pads. I have never, ever, used them for anything. If you are a pianist - how well will you play with half a keyboards? The questions though is what do you want to do. if you just want percussion and effects then a small one with pads could be fine and use your Yamaha for the real playing? If you ever buy Kontakt samplers and other similar ones that use keyswitches, bigger keyboards allow simpler and easier performances. If you need pads, and have your keyboard, then more keys seem a bit pointless?

Thanks
    Thank you for replying,
    Well i thought that way but a friend of mine told me to get more keys since they have better sounds than the yamaha which will make me love it more and stuff.
    Well, as im a noob let me ask this question,
    Since i have the yamaha, can i change its sounds from the DAW? Or just the existing built in sounds?
    And by that you think i should get a 25 with keys as the best option ?

Thanks
    I myself do not do much keyboard based music, so anything I say may not be on point.

As far as I know, unless purchasing a very high end keyboard, you are better off using your DAW for sounds and the keyboard as only a controller for software.

I am just going to leave this alone here, because I am not the right guy to answer...

Best to you! Sure someone will be back soon. Holiday weekend in US so it might be a few days..

Welcome Naffaa!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    You have the Yamaha and all its sounds.

Once you record the midi that you play on the midi, you can then use that midi to play other sounds from within your DAW. In particular, you can down load hundreds of virtual instruments that will give you no shortage of variety.

If you have the Yamaha and are happy with its number of keys, stick with that.

Thanks
    Thank you so much guys, i appreciate your help.
    So as i understood having my Yamaha is more than enough for the keyboard playing, so getting a small midi controller gonna be the best option ?
    I need a pads midi for percussion, will it do the job?
    I mean is the 25-key w/ pads worthy ? or waste of money and get a whole pads midi with no keys instead (such as Akai MDP128) ?

Thanks
    Are you a drummer? I have found that many cheap pad controllers are kind of shitty a the low price points.

I have the Akai MDP128 that you mentioned. Used it once.

You can have it if you close...
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Nope im a pianist but would for sure include beats in my songs, and i have no clue how that works so thought pads would do the job.
    but it is really my first time producing and i dont know what's necessary and what's not.
    so i thought i necessarily needed pads to do beats and percussion stuff.
    And im on a limited budget that's why im asking for the best option to get.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Are you a drummer? I have found that many cheap pad controllers are kind of shitty a the low price points.

I have the Akai MDP128 that you mentioned. Used it once.

You can have it if you close...
    Btw how does the AKAI feel?
    do you think it is worthy to have ? or just extra stuff ?

Thanks
    You can trigger 'pad sounds' from your Yammie via MIDI. Pad controllers are for those who just want a big trigger surface to hit (rather than just a piano key). If this is for live use,then a pad controller might be a good idea.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information