Is my gear up to snuff?

Xrod

I'm probably really asking for it with this post.......

Yes, I know about developing a good ear, learning the gear that I own, capturing a great performance, room treatments, practicing, etc.

I would like your opinions and comments on the gear that I own. Is everything suitable? Are there any dinosaurs? Does anything stand out as being obsolete, low quality or missing? If I had, say, $500 to spend, what would you recommend for equipment that would help me the most in my recording endeavors?

I currently write and record one or two instruments or vocals at a time and don't have a control room, but wish to expand someday into a setup that will allow me to record full drums and bands.

Mac Mini w 4GB of RAM not expandable
Logic Pro X
External hard drives USB
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
ART TPS II channel strip
Samson S Com 4 compressor
KRK Rockit 8's
AT 2035
MXL V63MBP
Shure SM58B
Shure SM57
Sennheiser e815S

Do I have a decent setup?

That looks like a pretty decent home setup list.
What do you feel are the downfalls in your recordings? What do you struggle with or what doesn't please you?

You mentioned expansion for recording bands. Would you track drums first then layer everything on top, or would you be tracking the whole band live?
I ask because that's the difference between needing 4-8 inputs, or 8-16 inputs.
Tuscan us*** interfaces are worth a look. ;)

Out of interest, what model of Mac Mini do you have?

Thanks for your input Steen....

Actually, none of my hardware has really been a hinderance to my efforts.

Currently, I struggle the most with my software! Learning the in's and out's of my DAW so that it is second nature and less frustrating to work with. I often know what I want in a sound or edit, but get frustrated trying to figure out how to go about it. I'm treating it like learning an instrument....practicing daily and studying it, and I know it's just going to take time.

The next big struggle is having to switch between being an engineer one minute, then trying to be a creative musician the next. It's like using two different sides of my brain, and the switch doesn't happen instantaneously. I'll be working at coming up with a sound or melody, then run into technical problems. As I attend to that, my creative juices go out the window. I'm working on trying to save and or organize my sessions, channel strip settings, templates, sounds, etc. so that I can quickly repeat them to save time. I have spent countless hours just auditioning sounds.

I'm not sure if a control surface might be a help for workflow, but I'm not good enough yet to fully realize the benefit of one.

I thought I would probably record drums first then layer everything else on top of that. Trying to get everything right for a full band recording live sounds like a nightmare for one person to handle!

Having said that, I still think I would go for 8 or more inputs on an interface so that I have the options.

My first guitar was a cheapie. Followed by one a little better, then a little better yet, etc. I finally bought a Stratocastor, and if I had purchased that guitar at the start, I would have saved a ton of money! I don't want to be making the same mistake with my recording equipment if at all possible.

My Mac mini is the latest model, and the RAM is not upgradable. I bought the 4GB instead of the 8GB not realizing the demands of audio production, even though it is dedicated for music. Sometimes it has trouble keeping up, but another issue is the speed of my hard drive connection. I need to get at least one Firewire drive.

I'll take a look at the interface(s) you suggested.

Thanks!

Xrod, I feel your pain.
All I can suggest is practicing and learning your daw on sessions that don't matter to you.
Set yourself challenges and targets where the outcome really doesn't matter.
That way you're learning and getting good practice without getting frustrated that creativity is being stifled.

I used to record cover songs just to get super familiar with ProTools so if I did run into a problem it was much less annoying!

I'm glad I asked about your Mac Mini.
Ram is upgradable in those machines.
The new models will take 8gb as 2x4 according to apple but, in the real world, they'll take 16gb as 2x8.
Ok, it's a bit of a hassle to get in there, but it's certainly doable.

A tech will do the upgrade for you at a cost but if you're handy or have a friend who is, it's not that challenging to DIY.

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one!

I like your idea of doing some covers for the learning experience. That sounds like an excellent way to learn and develop my ear as well.

Thats good to know! The salesperson that sold me the mac told me specifically that it was NOT upgradable, I could get 4 or 8GB. Perhaps he was just trying to get me to buy the much pricier 8GB version? I will research that and see what I can find out. I'm pretty handy at that sort of thing. Thanks for the info!

I greatly appreciate your help and advice, and the time you take to explain. This is a great resource!
Cheers!

IAre there any dinosaurs?

Don't knock a decent dino... some gear transcends the endless upgrade chase.:)

The next big struggle is having to switch between being an engineer one minute, then trying to be a creative musician the next. It's like using two different sides of my brain, and the switch doesn't happen instantaneously. I'll be working at coming up with a sound or melody, then run into technical problems. As I attend to that, my creative juices go out the window.

Welcome to the party, pal! :D

We all deal with that....it gets crazy, but it also gets good-crazy after awhile.
Always try to serve the song...especially when you get caught up in techno-minutia.
Also...try to to separate out the two. Like when you are being creative, just stay in that mood and ignore the little shit that pops up for as long as you can. IOW....if something is a little off to you, don't stop and then tend to it...just let it go until your creative mood dies off naturally.
Likewise, when it's time to deal with the small stuff...just focus on that and avoid breaking off to be creative for 10 minutes.

It's not always easy....but just try to stay focused rather than let every little thing distract you from either.

One thing I didn't see you mention - acoustic treatment for your recording space. Always a good investment.

Miro, Thats great advice..... I think "separating the two" must be a specific skill set needed for the home recordist.

Steen, isn't Firewire connectivity pretty much required when working with that many inputs? What do you think of the Focusrite 18i20?

The Tascam 1800US is USB2 interface with 16in/4out. A few around here including myself use these. They are well received.

Thats good to know! The salesperson that sold me the mac told me specifically that it was NOT upgradable, I could get 4 or 8GB. Perhaps he was just trying to get me to buy the much pricier 8GB version?

I must apologise.
Apparently the 2014 model does, indeed, have fixed ram!
Thanks for the info....very good to know. :)

I'm very disappointed to hear that. I'm sure a lot of other people will be too!

Steen, isn't Firewire connectivity pretty much required when working with that many inputs? What do you think of the Focusrite 18i20?

Nah, the manufacturers know what they're at and stay within the limits.
There's nothing wrong with 8 channels of input over USB...More, even.

Back