My first studio setup

p3go0

Hi,
Im currently setting up my first recording setup and have a few questions about what I'll actually need. I'm a complete beginner and don't know almost anything about the studio world and recording. The instruments I'm planning on recording are synth and guitar. I want to be able to get studio quality from this setup. I want to get the most, or atleast try to, of the things right at the beginning.

For recording synth, the signal chain I'm planning on putting together is as following: ROLI Seaboard Block (paired with ROLIS software synth Cypher2) -> Delay and Reverb guitar pedals in stereo -> Interface -> Macbook Pro 2012 with Logic -> JBL LSR 308

I have heard a bunch of different thoughts about plugging in synths to guitar pedals. Will I be able to put together a signalchain like this to use with my synth and recording it to the DAW hassle free?

I will use a Kemper Amplifier to record guitar and will be running either two XLR:s or SPDIF from it directly into the interface I'll be using.

When it comes to interfaces, I have heard and seen alot of good things about the Apollo Twin. It seems to be very popular. The setup I'm planning on running doesn't include any microphones. Would it still be worth it to purchase one? I hear that their preamps are really good, but that's only relevant if you're using microphones right? Maybe something like a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen would be better suited for my needs?

Thank You

Hi,
Im currently setting up my first recording setup and have a few questions about what I'll actually need. I'm a complete beginner and don't know almost anything about the studio world and recording. The instruments I'm planning on recording are synth and guitar. I want to be able to get studio quality from this setup. I want to get the most, or atleast try to, of the things right at the beginning.

For recording synth, the signal chain I'm planning on putting together is as following: ROLI Seaboard Block (paired with ROLIS software synth Cypher2) -> Delay and Reverb guitar pedals in stereo -> Interface -> Macbook Pro 2012 with Logic -> JBL LSR 308

I have heard a bunch of different thoughts about plugging in synths to guitar pedals. Will I be able to put together a signalchain like this to use with my synth and recording it to the DAW hassle free?

I will use a Kemper Amplifier to record guitar and will be running either two XLR:s or SPDIF from it directly into the interface I'll be using.

When it comes to interfaces, I have heard and seen alot of good things about the Apollo Twin. It seems to be very popular. The setup I'm planning on running doesn't include any microphones. Would it still be worth it to purchase one? I hear that their preamps are really good, but that's only relevant if you're using microphones right? Maybe something like a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen would be better suited for my needs?

Thank You

Maybe you should plug in your synth directly to your computer and use the Delay and Reverb from the Daw? My reasonning is that you use less cabling so you would have less risk of having distortion in your sound? All the Daw comes with reverb and delay. And anyways that roli seaboard block only have wifi or usb connection so not sure how you would connect a guitar pedal to it...
By the way midi keaboard doesn't need interface, you just plug it with the usb cord to your computer.

For the apollo twin I don't know if it's very popular. I find it expensive but you need that if you plan on using pluggins from Universal Audio. Other than that I've never tried it or heard anything else from it so I would go read some reviews before making a choice. (well look who's talking lol, I did buy an interface almost as expensive haha, the rme babyface). I know that focusrite are popular and much cheaper. Personnaly I use a RME babyface for recording alone and a Focusrite with more input to record live practices with my band. I can recommend both. I have tried a Presonus too but had some problem with the installation. Once installed it was good too. That's about it with my experience with the interfaces. My friends who have studios uses RME too, they are the ones who told me to get one.

For a mic well if you don't record voice or an accoustic instrument, for your setup I don't think you would need one.

Back