[SOLVED] My akg p120 doesn't give any sound

Paconxy

Hello. After some research, I ended up buying AKG's microphone P120. However, I needed a soundcard and a XLS cable, apart from the headset I already own (Audio-Technica ATH-M40X). I bought a simple, economic soundcard, with one input and output (Alesis Core 1) and the XLS cable.
A few hours ago, I got home, and built the set. I got my headphones plugged into the Alesis Core 1, as well as the AKG P120 with the XLS cable. Then, an USB comes out from the soundcard and goes to the computer. I've made sure I got the right sound configuration (Alesis Core 1 selected as input and output), and the output works just nice (I can hear sound from the computer into my headphones, so I'm wondering if it isn't a problem of whether the soundcard, but of either the microphone itself or even the cable.
Anyone who can show me what I should do in order to get sound from the microphone. I've already tried Audacity, FL Studio and the default Windows audio interface to prove everything should be correct.
I'd be glad to get a response of anyone who thinks can solve my problem.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
The AKG P120 is a condensor mic that requires 48v phantom power. The Alesis Core 1 doesn't supply phantom power - you can only use a dynamic mic or a mic with self-power (battery).

As Mike has said, the P120 (I have 2 P150s) needs 48V phantom power. If you are stuck with that interface your cheapest option is a phantom power supply and a second XLR (note spelling!) cable.

If you can return the Core 1 then the Alesis i02 Express is about another £20 more but is a full blown 2 mic channel interface WITH 48V. The i02 also comes with Cubase, much better for home recording than Audacity.

This, Neewer 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply Black with Adapter and One XLR Audio Cable for Any Condenser Microphone Music Recording Equipment: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

is probably ok. It looks identical to one I bought a couple of years ago but cannot recall the name. Comes with the extra XLR cable so you can plug up and test PDQ and get it returned if not good. Pretty simple things, spook juice boxes, about all that can be wrong is noise,i.e. hum.

Dave.

Dave.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I've got the same problem and hopefully you can help.
I'm using the audio interface Focusrite SOLO and the 48 V phantom power is switched on. also my beyerdynamics Dt 770 pro 250 ohm headphones and the AKG P120 are plugged in.
Do you got any idea that can fix this?

thanks in advance!

Hi guys,
I've got the same problem and hopefully you can help.
I'm using the audio interface Focusrite SOLO and the 48 V phantom power is switched on. also my beyerdynamics Dt 770 pro 250 ohm headphones and the AKG P120 are plugged in.
Do you got any idea that can fix this?

thanks in advance!

You haven't got the same problem. OP's problem was trying to use a mike that needed phantom power with an interface that didn't have phantom power, while your problem is a using a mike with an interface with that does supply phantom.

There are a couple of steps you can take.

1 Try a different cable
2 Try a different mike.

But even before that,

1 Do you have gain on the mike channel turned up?
2 Do you have monitor level turned up?
3 Do yo have direct monitor switched on?
4 Can you hear anything throughg headphones when you adjust any of these?

You haven't got the same problem. OP's problem was trying to use a mike that needed phantom power with an interface that didn't have phantom power, while your problem is a using a mike with an interface with that does supply phantom.

There are a couple of steps you can take.

1 Try a different cable
2 Try a different mike.

But even before that,

1 Do you have gain on the mike channel turned up?
2 Do you have monitor level turned up?
3 Do yo have direct monitor switched on?
4 Can you hear anything throughg headphones when you adjust any of these?

Thx for the answer!

I could already fix it. I needed to reconnect the audio interface and give it some gain :)

Back