Must have recording books/DVDs

ericlingus

Hi, I am new to home recording and was wondering what books and/or DVDs are a must read/watch. I already have Pc recording studios for dummies,The idiots guide to home recording, everything home recording book,guerilla recording,home recording basics,and rhythm basics(drum programming tips). Anything else that I should definately get? I heard modern recording techniques and The Mixing Engineer's Handbook are good.

I just got Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Bob Katz, and it is amazing! You should check it out. It is not so much geared towards beginners, but it has some excellent information.

BTW there was a thread about this not too long ago. Just search for it. :D

IMO
Recording Tips for Engineers by Tim Crich. Easy easy easy book to understand. He makes it really simple for beginners.

to watch...Tom Dowd and the Language of Music. You'll just sit in awe for a couple hours.

easy books

Hal Lenard products have many books and videos for beginners the BoB Katz mastering book is like 800pages and is for a recording engineer that wants to learn to master great book but not a beginner, the PC recording for dummies Is almost worthless, It has sometimes only a paragraph or no needed info at all I give it a 1 out of 5 its crap due to the extreme brevity of it.Honestly sometimes you can not beat a DVD on home recording as you see not just read.I have a free level 1 home recording interactive PDF text I wrote and other resource's as I am now adding to my music business teaching products the PDF is totally interactive with video clips, and links to the freeware stuff used in the course.
http://www.digitalgoatee1.zoomshare.com/I am almost done and my free and cheap PDF stuff will be up soon I posted it on my little free site, got rid of my big pay site due to cut backs.
also on you tube there are many, many good 10 min videos on home recording for beginners that is my target audience absolute starters I see a big gulf between getting equipment and now where does this cord go type of stuff we all begin somewhere I was no better 30 years ago, but new bee stuff was hard to find aside from Hal Lenard I am the new age Hal Lenard . LOL
most books are over the new musicians head and all the recording magazines articles and tutorials are not for the new recordists this gap needs to be filled. So I am trying to do my part and most of what I do is free.
www.soundclick.com/daniellouis
my music page give a listen and see my post about how I have a burden to help for free new artist start with you tube they have many, many good vids posted on the basics.

Hal Leonard

Like I said Hal Leonard, yes they published the book mentioned great book,
Guerrilla home recording, many fine good books are put out by Hal Leonard most do not know that as the title says Guerrilla, etc. Also Hal has great DVDs I think it is so important to see like your looking over an Engineers shoulders, Try some vid's and see what I mean. Good luck, oh and one poster told me about a site I never heard of and man he was right what a great site I thank that poster Tweakheads.com
Awesome, but like most sites and books it still lakes detailed info for the new bee, but tweakheads is the best site I have seen to date, Thank-you poster awesome.
Dan

Back