Muddy boomy guitar? Help!!!!

pvo_dave

Hi,

Found this place today, glad I did already! :D

Started to do some demo's of our band, it's only a cover band at the moment, so I refuse to pay for studio time etc...

I have managed to record the drums good enough using 1 SM 57 on the snare, one other semi decent mic in the kick, one mic for ambiance and one mic near the floor tom - not perfect, but very useable.

Tried to record my guitar on saturday, had my SM 57 in front of my Marshall AVT100 into the micro mixer then into the PC, but I just can not get a good sound, it's just muddy boomy crap (tried several mic positions).

I think I am going to need a Pre Amp, so I can have the guitar amp quieter and get a good sound out of it, am I thinking along the right lines?

Thanks for any help in advance :D

Dave.

Preamp...preamp...preamp.....when i first started recording (not to long ago) i thought this was just a nice addition....NO....you neeed a preamp or it will sound like CRAP....get a preamp..if you still have a problem post again.

yeah....and dont get a p.o.s. preamp either...even a good sm57 through a 2 dollar (figure of speech) preamp will sound bad

Just out of curiousity, how are you using the mic without a preamp? You probably have a preamp already (albeit a shitty one) and you don't know about it. Are you plugin the mic directly into the computer's "mic in?" in which case you will definitely want to look at something better. But if you are using a mixer with built in preamps, then the problem is most likely elsewhere. Post your signal chain and we'll be able to tell you more.

Hi,

Just plugging the mic into a micromixer then into the PC, if it has a pre-amp it's total turd LOL

Dave.

What is a micro mixer? Does it have xlr inputs? If you are getting a muddy sound, perhaps you need to turn up your mids.

Hmm, never seen one of those before. Only thing is if you do get a standalone preamp, you might still have to go through this thing to sum the different channels. The cheapest solution may be to get a little Yamaha MG board. They're relatively cheap and the preamps are very usable.

I am only planning on using the pre-amp to record my guitar (poss the bass) so I should be able to run the pre-amp straight to the PC?

Cool :D

Fingers corssed I win it! (m-audio audio buddy - not amazing I know, but cash is not something I have right now :()

Thanks for the advice :)

AND ANOTHER THING!..if you dont know this already .....turn some of the gain and possibly the volume down on your amp so the distortion has more detail. i know it may not be how you normally play but it wont sound like bees and will sound a little more full. also flip the switch on your guitar to the treble setting and that will ease up on the "distorted rumble" lol. it'll actually sound a little more punchy in some cases

Back