Monitor Questions: A/B-ing, purchase...

mbouteneff

I'm currently looking into Monitors for my home studio (Delta 1010LT, dmp3 preamp, MXL v67 mic, SM57 mic).

- I've been reading a lot of posts on this board, and several people talk about having Monitor speakers plus a second set of A/B monitor speakers. Can someone explain what "A/B" speakers are for? And do they have to be another set of monitors?

- I'm thinking about getting the BX8s...will these be okay without a subwoofer?

Thanks,

-M

I'm a big fan of the BX8's - IF they're set up properly, it's kind of a "user call" on the sub - I almost always use one for mastering, but I wouldn't for tracking... Yes & no for mixing...

The "A/B" designation is just that - My 802's are my "A" set and my BX8's are my "B" set. I do 90% of everything on the "A" and just switch to the "B" once in a while to make sure I'm not going crazy somewhere.

It's just a "main" and "auxiliary."

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

when i used multi media speakers for playback....i kinda liked having the subwoofer.....now that i have the samson 65as....i have more of a bass punch to it so i dont need a subwoofer as much....I'm sure the bass response on the bx8 would suffice unless your doing dance music or hiphop with bass drops in it.

Thanks

Great, thanks guys. I'll be shootin' for the BX8s only, then. They'll probably serve as both A & B monitors..!

Back