Monitor controller + avantone mixcube

frank1985

I’m looking to buy a monitor controller (Mackie Big Knob) in order to switch between a set of stereo speakers and a single avantone mixcube for the purpose of checking my mixes in mono. Obviously I would connect the main outs of my Focusrite interface to the inputs of the controller, with the source A outputs on the Mackie feeding my stereo pair.

For the source B output to the avantone, do I just use a single TRS cable from the left channel and sum the audio to mono from my DAW as well as the mackie? Setting things up this way, I wouldn’t need any other summing devices, right?

As long as both inputs are going to the BK, just hitting the 'MONO" button will take care of the mono sum. If you're only sending to 1 MixCube, you're fine. If you're sending to both of your normal monitors (assuming that you have a pair of monitors in there somewhere) you're also fine.

As long as both inputs are going to the BK, just hitting the 'MONO" button will take care of the mono sum. If you're only sending to 1 MixCube, you're fine. If you're sending to both of your normal monitors (assuming that you have a pair of monitors in there somewhere) you're also fine.

Ah ok, and seeing as the signal is mono anyway, could I get away with using a TS cable instead for the Mixcube?

You might have routing software for your interface that allows you to send a mono signal to one set of line outputs. My F'rite has that, so I just have one of the unused line out pairs going to my Behri C50 (or whatever it is). That way I'm sending a balanced mono signal (using a TRS-TRS cable). The only problem with that is I don't have a physical [volume] knob to twist so I am trying to figure out some alternative.

If the BK had a mono switch on individual outputs that would be really nice, but still wouldn't address the cabling for stereo->mono balanced. I actually made a cable that did that, i.e., physically summed - seems like I had to stick a resistor in there or something.

Back