Mixing Vocals in Audacity, EQ, High-Pass, Low-Pass, AHHHH!!!

vocalizer

Basically, I use Audacity to record vocals over pre-made instrumentals that I download. The only effects I really use are compressor, AnwidaSoft plug-in for reverb, and noise removal. I haven't played around much with eq, because honestly, I'm not really sure where to start with it. I have read a little about high-pass and low-pass filters, but it's all a jumbled mess in my head, so I would like it all explained all at one time, lol. Basically I want to know where to begin... What are the main tools/effects that I should use to make the vocals stand out and sound as clear and professional-sounding as possible? And where do I start with EQ in Audacity, what exactly do I manipulate within it, and how to use it in general... Thanks in advance!

High pass means you are cutting low frequencies out. Low pass is the opposite.

You can adjust the volume level up and down the frequency spectrum....something like 20hz (low boomy rumbly sounds - bass) up to 20khz (high shrill sounds - treble)

Just keep looking into it...you'll get the hang of it

Eq, including high and low pass filtering, is just fancy tone control. Use it if you think something needs it. There's no "should" about it otherwise it would just be done automatically. But it would help to try it to hear the effect it has so you know what can be done if necessary.

High-pass and low-pass aren't generally used in mixing vocals, so you don't need to worry too much about those for now. Play with the EQ and adjust it until it sounds good. There is no right or wrong way to use EQ as long as you think the adjustments you make enhance the track.

Something to keep in mind: mixing with Audacity is pretty rough, especially with vocals. The way Audacity handles inserts is different than most DAWs: when you apply an effect to a track, it actually modifies the actual file, rather than just coloring the audio file as it plays through. This means that if you apply EQ to a track and then decide you want to change the EQ settings later, when you open the EQ window up all of your current EQ settings won't show. You will only be able to add EQ to the current settings rather than modifying the current settings. The only way to modify the current settings is to undo the act of applying the settings in the first place. Just keep this in mind because if you save your file and quit the application and then open it back up in a few hours to work on it some more, you won't be able to make any changes to what you have already done. It can be frustrating at times, especially since Audacity doesn't save the tracks as .WAVS, rather it saves each part of each track as a .AU file... but that's another explaination.

Anyways, good luck mixing!

...Something to keep in mind: mixing with Audacity is pretty rough, especially with vocals. The way Audacity handles inserts is different than most DAWs: when you apply an effect to a track, it actually modifies the actual file, rather than just coloring the audio file as it plays through. This means that if you apply EQ to a track and then decide you want to change the EQ settings later, when you open the EQ window up all of your current EQ settings won't show. ..!

Yikes that's damned right 14th century :eek:
Question- How about save a copy of the original, work on the copy?
I'd do that on any track I wanted to have a back-path for destructive mods.

Back