Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Mixers and Home Recording

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrnvdb View Post
    hi all,

Dunno if this is the right thread for this one..as a starting sports announcer i'm doubting between a soundcraft notepad 12fx and a xenyx x1204usb.
    Mainly laptop with SSPro for the music and a mic needed.Also need to be rugged enough to go into the backpack to travel.
    read some good things about both already but still not really made a decision
    Still not clear why you need a *mixer*. Are you streaming live at events? Multi-party interviews? Is that what the mixer + ruggedness is needed for? Or recording? Is music also "on the go" or is that at home? Use cases, please...
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    The problem supply I saw a picture of was an SMPS PCB. There was a heatsink for the switching device (MOSFET?) and mounted very close to it were two electrolytic capacitors. The heat from the sink cooked the caps and caused premature supply failure.

I subsequently read that the poorly designed supply was NOT of Soundcraft's designers doing! Some beancounter insisted on an out of house PCB.

Repairing a Soundcraft Spirit E6 Mixer Switching Power Supply << Keith's Electronics Blog

Found that ^ You can see the "browning". Not read it through as yet.

Dave.
    Yes Dave. You're absolutely right. That darned "E" series. I tend to forget about those. They didn't do to well over here. I've never had to repair one. Maybe everyone who owned one threw it out?
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    Yes Dave. You're absolutely right. That darned "E" series. I tend to forget about those. They didn't do to well over here. I've never had to repair one. Maybe everyone who owned one threw it out?
    Ooo! Wish someone would chuck one my way. I would then just build an outboard, good old fashioned 50Hz supply for it!
    I can see that the dodgy SMPSU would be even "dodgier" in 115V land because as V in goes down I has to go up and heat is of course prop' to I squared.

(That's "I" as in amps folks not me. Tho I IS a bit of a square!)

Dave.

Thanks
    Sounds like a good idea.

Over here, the Spirits with analog supplies are plentiful. I imagine nobody cared enough to go the external PSU road.

I'm in the process of buying a 32/8/2 inline one. Or maybe a Tascam. The Soundcraft is a little too big. The Tascam requires more work, as the Soundcraft is already recapped. But I need to get rid of a few other mixers first to make room.
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

Thanks
    This is extremely helpful! If you guys would like to compare mixers after reading this id recommend checking some out at twoelevengear.com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SDZB View Post
    This is extremely helpful! If you guys would like to compare mixers after reading this id recommend checking some out at twoelevengear.com.
    Be careful there buddy. We don't allow spam here. You can place you business link in your signature line, but don't be using the site to promote it.

Welcome to the forum otherwise!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information