MIXER vs. PREAMP (low end) ---3 questions! Thank You!

Mr Music

First off everything I talk about is about VOCALS/CONVERSATION...

Ok as you can probably see already...im into simple stuff...nothing too complicated.....so anyhow....

I have a regular 2 channel mixer.....AKG 3000c mic.....Audiophile Midiman card...
and i have a Presonus Bluetube Preamp and DBX Compressor....

ok this is what ive noticed

When i record straight into the MIC-> MIXER -> CARD............
the sound is rather NAKED.........BUT!!!! very clean and much FULLER....

on the other hand....when i record through the bluetube preamp - the stupid thing gives me this weird ass warmth that isnt exactly helping with fullness....the signal is much less powerful and rigid than with the mixer....

QUESTION #1

If i have an engineer with great experience mixing my stuff- dont you think its better to record straight through the mixer? it might be naked and plain.....but since the bluetube is low end- MANY PLUGINS CAN ALWAYS ADD THAT WARMTH TO THE MIXER ONLY RECORDING ANYWAYS...
I find there are very nice plugins that can do the same job with better control.....the point is....my recording comes out much CLEARER with the mixer than with the preamp................am i wrong??

QUESTION #2

Do you guys know of anybody recording straight through mixer with a great sound at the end????
HONESTLY I dont really hear the difference....only cheap coloring is what i get with the presonus......

QUESTION #3

I want to sell everything I have so I can collect some money for a really nice nice preamp....Ill sell my dbx and presonus cuz they dont seem to be needed when I have plugins that do a very good job...I will have about 1500-2000 bucks for the preamp....
so my recording will be like this
AKG 3000c Mic-> Nice Preamp -> Midiman Audiophile Card
yes?

I really dont understand......the recording part is getting to me....

( also I was fortunate to have my room done with Clouds/Bass Traps/Absorbers so thats not a problem )

plz help!!! thank you!

Yeah, the Blue Tube isn't the quietest pre in the world, but it does what it says it does- it takes a mic signal to line level and adds a bit of "toob" noise to it. I'm not a big fan (although I do kinda like the BlueMAX).
Ányway, becuase of that, your recordings probably are going to sound cleaner through the desk rather than the Blue Tube. If you cna get he effectyou're looking for with plugins, then sure, use teh plugins. If it sounds right, it is right I believe is the saying.

I've done a few recordings straight off the mixer, but we're talking Midas Heritage, Soundtracs MX (modded- inc preamps). If you're not noticing any difference, and you're getting good enough levels without much noise etc, then go ahead and just use the mixer pres. Whilst they're not ideal, from your setup it looks like you're not going for the "ideal" to begin with, and for spoken word stuff you'll probably get away with it.

Yes, that signal chain at the bottom is right. Save up and get a half decent pre, and it wil change your recordings. If possible, see if you can have a demo at a store before buying, otherwise ask if anyone here has a similar unit to the one(s) you're looking at record something with a similar mic/setup etc, and see which one you like best.
It really sucks buying something off the specs only to find you don't really like it...

Just quickly, which dbx, and why would you want ot sell it?

There's a lot to be said for simply getting a nice clean signal going in, then using the software tools to dial it in at your leasure. And making those tweaks once you hear everything in context.
Do you guys know of anybody recording straight through mixer with a great sound at the end????
Sure, but it can be a step better to go for the short path -get the mixer out if it's not needed. But there's nothing worng with a clean front end. There are so many other hugely more important variables to get right before worring about that.
HONESTLY I dont really hear the difference....only cheap coloring is what i get with the presonus......
It's just a cheap tube pre. Try it with the toob dialed out yet?
There are some nice pres that will do the job for way less than $1000 though if that's where you're at. :D

Back