mixer routing and compression questions

UserFromHell

I'm looking in to upgrading my mixer. I'm using it for recording drums down to two tracks. I want to get a compressor as well, and i was thinking about purchasing the samson s.com 4 which gives me four channels of compression, which i plan to possibly compress certain drums suck as the bass drum (for sure), and the snare drum, but i think i need a mixer capable of sending my amplified signal to the compressor and back to the mixer. Is this true, and if it is, what is this called in technical terms? I also was wondering if it would work well (or at all) to use seperate preamps and run the mics to the preamps, and the the preamp signals to the compressor, before runing those signals to the mixer? I guess im asking if compression should be done post-eq or pre-eq. I know this might be a little beyond a "newbie" kind of question, but whoever knows what I'm asking will probably see it as a newbie question. Please help.

What type of mixer/
Does it have "INSERTS"? If it does, thats where you wanna plug your compressor, using insert cables. They look like a Y cable. Send on one side, returns on the other.

what if i wanted to use a compressior for more than one channel at the same time. how would that work?

Niimo said:
what if i wanted to use a compressior for more than one channel at the same time. how would that work?
(Or... ;) a sub-group (also known as a 'bus') of the selected channels sent to a sub-mix, the compressor would be placed there.

I was looking at a Behringer Ub 2442m which i believe has insert sends, but no insert returns, so i guess i'd have to return it to another channel. Is there a difference in insert cables, or are they just standard cables that are connected? I've been told that the smartest way to go is to use a dbx dual compressor and to compress the overheads before i did anything else, and then to get another dual compressor to compress the snare and bass if i wanted to at a later time. Any opinions on this?

It would help to describe your recording chain. 'Can't tell if you're multi-tracking or what.
Mixer-channel outs that don't have a return (those 'inserts') would otherwise be known as direct outs' not inserts.
We (and you ;) ) need to know what you're trying to accomplish with the compressors, and the routing.. Do you have to combine all your drum mics into a single stereo recording pair for example, etc..?
Wayne

UserFromHell said:
I was looking at a Behringer Ub 2442m which i believe has insert sends, but no insert returns, so i guess i'd have to return it to another channel.

They put the send and the return of the inserts on one jack. Unless it is a direct out, as explained above. I would bet that the Berry that you are talking about has inserts, not direct outs.

:)

Also if your mixer has subgroups, you can subgroup your drums and place the insert on the subgroup.
Try to stay away from the samson piece. I have found it to be less than desireable. Try the DBX or if you can swing it the drawmer. Since you are using this on drums try to get one with a gate as well. It will make that smare huge and the kick enourmous.

Back