Mixer Question

wafflesk

Howdy All. Another day another newb question from me. I recently purchased the BCF2000 for use with Pro Tools 8. I know it is a hazzle to get it to work but it was the only contrl surface in my price range. The next item I was looking into getting would be a mixer. I am currently using Pro tools 8 and the mbox 2 so i only have 2 inputs. I would like to begin mixing drums and figure if i get a mixer i can bring the mics into the mixer then bus them to Pro Tools. I figure mix the overheads together and then do the toms or snare. I havent quit figured out the logistic yet. any suggestions on a decent..low price mixer im thinking between 200-300 bucks. i would like to have 6 inputs at least. thanks for any help

You can get used interfaces with 8 mic pres for less than $300. Then you wouldn't have to bus anything. Record each mic on it's own track.

I agree with Dastrick. Here's the deal: with a mixer, all you're going to get in Pro Tools is the output of the mixer--2 channels (left and right) with the drums all mixed together.

Wanna add some compression to just the kick? Can't. Wanna EQ just the snare? Can't. Wanna change the stereo spread of the toms? Can't. (See a pattern? :D)

But with an 8 channel interface (with 8 mic pres) you'll end up with 8 separate tracks in Pro Tools. You could have Kick, Snare, 3 Toms, L overhead, R overhead--and one to spare. Now you can edit and mix your drums--with control over each piece--in Pro Tools.

very interesting obsevations guys. would this take care of the problem http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=S16

if not could you offfer any suggestions that would be pro tools 8 comatible?

Unless something has changed that I don't know about--that mixer from Carvin would not do the trick. It's USB and as far as I know, USB only sends 2 channels (again, L & R). The difference between this and a regular non-USB mixer, is that a regular mixer would have to go into a soundcard or interface, whereas a USB mixer becomes your soundcard/interface, only needing a USB port to go into.

But I still don't think that gets you any more than 2 tracks going in. I use FireWire (1394) for multiple channels (24 in fact) but 8 channel FireWire interfaces are common.

That mixer only sends a stereo signal through USB. I would go for something like a Presonus Firepod or a MOTU 8pre. Check ebay for used ones. I have 2 Firepods that I bought used and they work great for my needs. I would also go with firewire over USB. Mabybe a Mackie Onyx if you just really want a mixer, although probably over your budget.

tascam tm-d1000. still using mine after all these years and still has NEVER given me trouble.

How many inputs does your interface have? I have an RME Hammerfall card and I get all 8 tracks of drums into Logic seperately.

Back