Mixer to pc help

louis28

Hi ryt here is my problem i want to record the outputs of my mixer which is a behringer 2222fx into my computer for seperate multitrack recording. The mixer itselfdoes allow me to do that only an over all recordin. Im using the 4 outputs on the mixer i just need to know how to to record them all seperately into my computer onto my software which is samplitude.

Is there a devices to do this, iv read i need to convert it from anolog to digital aswel..... PLEASE help its frustrating me

Thanks alot

If you're asking this question I assume you're using your stock PC sound card to bring the signals into your computer.

That being the case, unfortunately you're going to need some more gear to do what you're asking.

Audio interfaces are built for this exact purpose--they accept 2, 4, 8 or more inputs and stream them individually to your computer via firewire or USB. Once they're in your computer you have the ability to mix/manipulate/process them separately.

I have a Presonus Firebox--a 4-input device--and it cost me $330 (Canadian).

thanks alot that really helps so i will be able to plug everything into the mixer and be able to select each individual channel by my pc (samplitude, by the way im on windows xp). Will i be able to record the channels i like seperately with out needing to record them all. And does it connect through computer through 1 usb port thanks alot

What exactly are you recording (what instruments)? If you don't have cash for an interface you can simply just record one instrument at a time.

List all the equipment you have and lets make a plan.

Cheers

hi well there isnt really equipment i want the behringer 2222fx outputs being recorded as i have the option of 4 seperate outputs i can assign mics guitars etc to which output i like (sub 1, main 1,2) i just want to know how i can record the outputs of the mixer into the pc for multitrack recording. Or is that not an option will i have to get a new mixer for this. thanks alot

If you just have a standard soundcard you will only be able to record 2 tracks at any one time - getting a new mixer wont really help unless its a USB/firewire enabled mixer thats intended for multitrack recording. You can actually pick up one of these usb mixers for relatively cheap - I know phonic makes one, not the best thing around but if will do fine considering your want to use your stock sound card to start with.

Check out http://www.phonic.com/en/mixers/helix-board-12.html - and please don't blame me if it breaks:)

hi well there isnt really equipment i want the behringer 2222fx outputs being recorded as i have the option of 4 seperate outputs i can assign mics guitars etc to which output i like (sub 1, main 1,2) i just want to know how i can record the outputs of the mixer into the pc for multitrack recording. Or is that not an option will i have to get a new mixer for this. thanks alot

You need to do some shopping.

If you want to use the mixer and its four separate outputs, then you need to find an interfce with four separate inputs. This interface will connect to your computer through USB, firewire, or will be inbuilt, i.e. a PCI card. I'm not sure that there are a lot of four channel USB interfaces about. Mostly they are just two-track (stereo) . . you need to look around.

Once you've done this, you connect the four mixer outputs to the four interface inputs and off you go.

Alternatively, as someone suggested, find a mixer with USB or firewire connectivity instead. These already have a built in interface, so all you need to do is connect them.

Check out http://www.phonic.com/en/mixers/helix-board-12.html - and please don't blame me if it breaks:)

That helix 12 is a USB mixer. That mixer sends ONLY the main mix L/R to the USB. You will NOT get multitracking with that device. There is a firewire version of that mixer that DOES send all tracks to your DAW individually:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--PHOH12FWMKII

I have the helix 18 fw mixer, it has inserts on 6 channels, 2 aux'es, 2 sub groups, and it works great for me. I've tracked 10 channels at a time in the past without a glitch. Dirt cheap for what it does. Pre's are kinda noisy, but you can get an outboard pres later. It works great for that and any other line-in stuff.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--PHOHELIX18FWMKII

One caveat about the helix's: The Cubase LE that comes with it can only track 8 tracks at a time. That's if you patch it, only 4 tracks at once if you don't. So you won't get the full 10 or 16 tracks unless you upgrade your software. Of course, that would apply to ANY mixer/interface with cubase le and more than 8 input tracks...

thanks alot guys youve helped me out alot hear but im still not sure. iv looked all over the net. i want to use my mixer its great has effect bla bla i no im going to have to buy some kinda firewire thingy. If you can spare the time could any1 look for a device or somthing to allow me to connect my seperate outputs to my pc. Possibly a new soundcard or any kinda usb device. Im not too sure what im looking for with your help i think we could crack this thanks alot people keep helping me

Maybe a rethink about whether you actually need the mixer?

Personally I would ditch the mixer altogether and get one of the entry-level 8 channel interfaces; pretty much everything you need in one rack unit.

In fact you don't even have to go that far - maybe one of the 4-preamp ones like the M-audio Fast Track Ultra. That would give you your 4 inputs and pretty much render your mixer obsolete.

i.e. then what is the point in having a small Behringer mixer smack in the middle of your signal chain when you have an interfaces with preamps built-in and very flexible zero-latency mixing/routing options for monitoring?

mattr gives sound advice!

Although the mixer has effects that you like, you can get all these with your recording software.

So not only do you need to do some shopping, you need to learn about the recording process is in a computer environment.

The fast track ultra looks like a reasonable USB-based option.

ok.............just my 2 cents.

If you mixer has tape outs please dont spend 300 some dollars on an interface.................just yet.

Check this out first.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx

I just bought a behringer Xenxy 1832 fx mixer. The interface came with my mixer.

pretty basically you are sending a stereo signal from you mixer to the interface listed above. From there you signal is converted from Analog to Digital then the signal is sent out throught the USB cable......then into your computer.

Dont get me wrong tho.......if your mind is stuck on the seperate outputs by all means i go for it..............but it would be waaaayyy cheaper to just use the interface that behringer is SUPPOSED to be selling with those xynex mixers.

I could be wrong but surely your mixer has a tape out.

so out of all this discussion the question still hangs,

get a mixer and audio interface and use pc sound card?

get a firewire/usb mixer and a recording software?

Everybody is giving the OP advice without asking exactly what he wants to record. The only thing we know is he wants to record the 4 outputs from a behringer mixer because he wants "to use my mixer its great has effect bla bla" He seems stuck on using this mixer, but might not have enough info to know there are better options available.

So, what exactly are you looking to do?? Record a band? Just yourself?

for interfaces, check these out, maybe you'll find something you'll like:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c683--FireWire_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

If you're not sure, do some searches on the site and learn a little more to base your decisions.

Back