Mixer Christmas present

bincosho

Hi! Hope someone can help me.. I want to bye a mixer table for my husband for Christmas, he has never had one himself befor. Can anyone help me with some tips for some gear that's good to start with?

He probably has a store he always goes to - since you posted a link from Amazon.ca I assume you are here in Canada. If so, a couple of days before Xmas take him to Long and McQuade and have him pick out what he wants. Wrap it up and make him wait to open it. Or, just get a gift card from there and he can pick it out after Xmas.

He has done some mixing.. So he knows a bit what the deal is.. I'm from a small town i Norway, if you want to bye any mixers here you have to go online. And the price in Norway is way higher then on Amazon for example..

He has done some mixing.. So he knows a bit what the deal is.. I'm from a small town i Norway, if you want to bye any mixers here you have to go online. And the price in Norway is way higher then on Amazon for example..

Mixing in what context? Live on a stage? Mixing songs in the basement? You're going to have to provide more information about what tasks he performs with his current setup so we can figure out what he might be trying to accomplish with a new mixer.

The critical question that has already been asked is "what does he want to mix?". The mixer you linked to is specifically for DJs and useless if he wants to record live music at home. On the other hand, it might be okay if he wants to DJ live. If he wants to record live, what will he record? Just himself and a guitar or a whole band all at once? Does he have other gear needed for recording (or being a DJ)?

Unless you know the details, a gift certificate might be the best idea.

However, if you DO decide to purchase, I can also recommend Thomann. They have about the best prices in Europe, offer good service and (I just checked) ship to Norway.

Okay...I can't comment on DJ kit (I do live recording an mixing) but I can give some general background. Behringer make gear for the economy/entry level end of the market. Their quality isn't always the best but you tend to get a lot of features for the money. They also now give a 3 year warranty in case of problems. There's all sorts of history of them making some pretty bad stuff but, in the past few years they've really upped their game and some of their stuff now competes well on the professional market.

The mixer you linked to is full of features, far more than many entry level DJ mixers. That might make it harder to learn but also give some options that would normally take buying a rack of other gear.

It's sold at the previously recommended Thomann for a not bad price: Behringer DDM4000 - Thomann UK However, if you want a totally entry level DJ mixer without all the extras, they have some going down as low as about 79 Euros.

Sorry to be so vague...hope this sets the scene at least a little.

Do you have the equivalent of Cash Generator shops in Norway?
I ask because I frequently see such DJ mixers in them.

I can only conclude that there are a lot of failed DJ Wannabees in Northampton!
(but SURELY there is a software equivalent?).....Found "Virtual DJ8" in 2 minutes. Had it downloaded and playing in 5!
Of course you have to have the tracks "in the can" first!
Dave.

Last edited:
The biggest questions here are what does he have already? Turntables? CD players? Is he going to be mixing Vinyl, CD's or mp3s?

A mixer, like the OP linked to, on it's on will not be of any use.

Too little information here on what the Husband wants to achieve and how.

He want's to try it as a DJ. He has tride some DJ equipment at the local nightclubs

You should consider something like the Numark MixTrack Pro (DJ controller with built-in audio interface) or one of the Pioneer controllers...

The one you linked to will be pretty pointless if he doesn't already own much gear...

Back