Mixer + Audio Interface vs. Zoom H5

WillBran

Hello,

I'm looking into getting a setup to record just myself. I'm just looking for what would be best to line-in/plug mics into, to feed into my mac while maintaining the best quality. Obviously I don't need anything overwhelming since I'll only be using a max of two channels at once.

I'll only be recording vocal, keyboard, and acoustic guitar.

Looking forward to your help,
Thank you.

Do you want a Cadilac, a Buick, a bicycle, or a pogo stick?

Seriously, an interface into a DAW and a handheld field recorder are apples and oranges. Sure, the end state is some kind of recording, just as above the end state is arriving from point A to point B, but a Cadilac certainly should not be considered amongst a pogo stick (or should that be the other way around?!).

Think specifically about what you want to accomplish. Capture live takes or multitrack recordings with overdubs? In that question you find your answer. When you narrow it down, you'll have a multitude of other things to consider. So ask away.

Do you want a Cadilac, a Buick, a bicycle, or a pogo stick?

Seriously, an interface into a DAW and a handheld field recorder are apples and oranges. Sure, the end state is some kind of recording, just as above the end state is arriving from point A to point B, but a Cadilac certainly should not be considered amongst a pogo stick (or should that be the other way around?!).

Think specifically about what you want to accomplish. Capture live takes or multitrack recordings with overdubs? In that question you find your answer. When you narrow it down, you'll have a multitude of other things to consider. So ask away.

Alright. In that case, what you recommend to meet my needs while maintaining a moderate price line.

Right, so what are your needs? Are you planning on multi track recording? Editing in a DAW? Moderate amount of tracks, overdubbing? Then...

You can get a PreSonus USB 2-input interface for $125. Their StudioOne software comes free at the basic (yet very robust) level. Then you can pick up a suitable microphone for another $100.

I plan on multi-track recording and editing in DAW etc.

I have microphones galore. StudioOne over full GarageBand?

There are many threads here on which DAWs people prefer. I won't dare make a recommendation. I was just giving an example.

So you think for the needs of recording guitar, vocal, and keyboard PreSonus is enough? I have money, so really if there is something better suited at all. Basically I am buying into my own studio at home, so that I no longer have to go places to get it recorded.

But for about the same money, less in cases, I think you'll be we'll suited with a lot more functionality if you go the interface and DAW route. Don't get me wrong, that Zoom serves a purpose, just not really the best avenue for pursuing multitrack recording.

So you think for the needs of recording guitar, vocal, and keyboard PreSonus is enough? I have money, so really if there is something better suited at all. Basically I am buying into my own studio at home, so that I no longer have to go places to get it recorded.

PreSonus, Focusrite, M-Audio. These are reputable brands. There are others. You are going to want to research and read reviews. I'm not trying to be evasive, there just are so many options. I'll jump off and let someone else chime in.

Full disclosure, I use PreSonus hardware and software primarily.

---------- Update ----------

Alright, so you see no purpose for a mixing board?

Not really if you plan on working in the DAW.

Not really if you plan on working in the DAW.

The way I look at control surfaces are they are VERY nice. However, everything they can do can be done through a DAW. They, most of the time, just do it faster. So I agree with Greg on this, I would not get something right now. They usually can be added later down the road as your needs, or funds, grow. Unless you wanted an interface/control surface combo, but they tack on a lot of extra money to the purchase price.

You mentioned that you want to do multi-track recording. Later you talked about guitar, vocal, and keyboard. I assume you plan to do these all together? Some suggestions when looking into an interface are determining the amount of individual inputs you need. If you want just guitar and vox, you only need 2. If you want to have keys, you may need 3 or 4. Do you plan on micing drums or ever doing full bands live? Then you may need 8. Other decisions are the type of pre's you want. Most home interfaces have their own built in pre's that sound a little different from each other. Some, like the Roland Octa-Capture, have built in compression. What capabilities do you want/need from your interface and what can be done through the DAW and plugs?

One last question I have is about your thread topic. Where you thinking of using a live mixer for your inputs and then running everything through an interface to your computer or were you thinking of a control surface that has motorized faders, etc that will do what your DAW does?

No, you don't need a mixer - read THIS THREAD.

there are a multitude of sub-$200 2-input audio interfaces, Tascam, Scarlet, Steenberg are all popular. Garageband will work for you if you are used to it, but most other DAWs have more features. Everyone has their prefernece to DAWs (more often than not, its what they learned on). I prefer Reaper - all the features of the big DAWs, free to download the full version, $60 to register it.

The way I look at control surfaces are they are VERY nice. However, everything they can do can be done through a DAW. They, most of the time, just do it faster. So I agree with Greg on this, I would not get something right now. They usually can be added later down the road as your needs, or funds, grow. Unless you wanted an interface/control surface combo, but they tack on a lot of extra money to the purchase price.

You mentioned that you want to do multi-track recording. Later you talked about guitar, vocal, and keyboard. I assume you plan to do these all together? Some suggestions when looking into an interface are determining the amount of individual inputs you need. If you want just guitar and vox, you only need 2. If you want to have keys, you may need 3 or 4. Do you plan on micing drums or ever doing full bands live? Then you may need 8. Other decisions are the type of pre's you want. Most home interfaces have their own built in pre's that sound a little different from each other. Some, like the Roland Octa-Capture, have built in compression. What capabilities do you want/need from your interface and what can be done through the DAW and plugs?

One last question I have is about your thread topic. Where you thinking of using a live mixer for your inputs and then running everything through an interface to your computer or were you thinking of a control surface that has motorized faders, etc that will do what your DAW does?

The only time I would be using both channels would be to record a basic track, to use so I can sync individual guitar/vocal/keyboard tracks together.

I think the more I can do in the interface, and not in the DAW, the better.

No, you don't need a mixer - read THIS THREAD.

there are a multitude of sub-$200 2-input audio interfaces, Tascam, Scarlet, Steenberg are all popular. Garageband will work for you if you are used to it, but most other DAWs have more features. Everyone has their prefernece to DAWs (more often than not, its what they learned on). I prefer Reaper - all the features of the big DAWs, free to download the full version, $60 to register it.

What would be your personal preference for the two input audio interface if you in my situation? Alright, I have heard several people using Reaper. I guess once I start using Garage Band, as I am switching from PC to Mac, I will see if I think I need to be able to do more.

EDIT : Tascam US-200 seems to be pretty solid. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a tascam US800, very solid unit with no problems. The US200 is a newer model, have not heard much either way about it.

Here's a link to a chart, showing what interfaces are available and listing features and such. See what fits your needs and google a couple to see what they cost. Do some research on the preamps in each to see what suits your vocal needs.

LINK

Back