Mix Consistency

Bitter Dawn

BM is the Devil's Fuel
I've been reading quite a few threads that have taken place here over the years, all the variables are making my head spin! Thus far, most of my reading has been in the Mixing Techniques forum, the thread on "Software vs Hardware" that started in October '02 was incredibly fascinating.

I have one of those "dumb" questions to ask. The most direct way I can ask it is, how does one procure a consistent mix on a demo/EP/LP? Btw, I'm aware that EP and LP pertain to older formats but, I like to use those terms to differentiate a bands or, musicians releases.

In some respects, I know the answer to the question but, I can not but help to think there is more to it. Assuming one always uses the same mic set up in the same room for all their tracks/songs, what is the best way to keep every track on an album at the same level, without writing down each channel's EQ, pan, fader etc. that is on the mixer?
My best guess to achieve this (when using digital at least) is to have the EQ flat on the mixer, and to have one's plug-ins/fx etc., saved as a preset so the compression, fx, EQ and the like are consistent on every song. However, some thing tells me that such a thing isn't completely feasible, that slight alterations will need to be made song by song or, track by track.

Hopefully that all makes sense to you guys. I've always noticed that on my old band's EP that the tracks were all over the place in terms of mixing, some of it was even due to changing mic placement, using different mics and, I can even recall a time I let my college record and mix one track in a song and, one out of four or five tracks was recorded in mono while the others were stereo.

Why would you want every song to have the same mix sound? Unless the songs are all identical in instruments and sound, each should be unique with its settings.
When you are done mastering each song, chain them together and listen to them withough making any adjustments as you listen and note which songs need higher (or lower) volume and which sound too treble or bass-y.

Why would you want every song to have the same mix sound?

Because sometimes that is what is required.

Not too long ago I finished mixing a CD's worth of material for a guy who wanted his vocals to sound roughly the same from track to track, and likewise his guitar. In his case, we were able to work out the desired sound for each using an assortment of EQ and compression, and saved those settings as pre-sets.

Similarly, I have dealt with bands that wanted consistency of sound across all the tracks. They don't want one track to sound like the sixties, then the next to sound eighties and so on.

If you are recording material that is performed consistently, using similar arrangements and a common suite of instruments, then each time you mix you should get roughly similar results; in mixes and output levels.

It is when the material is vastly different from track to track that trying to achieve consistency becomes more difficult. Then it just calls for a sharp ear and perserverance.

depends what you mean by consistencey

The same overall volume on mixes with different blends of vocals and intruments and arrangements can still sound wildly different.

Generally volume leveling should be based on RMS vs peak levels as this gives a better indication of perceived volume.
Setting yourselves presets is OK as a start but it will only work if the tracks are extremely similar. Compressors are extremely program dependant and need to be set based on the performance. A punchy, hard vocal needs very different settings than a smooth, soft one.
A vocal in the singers higher register will take EQ differently than if they are singing in their lower ranges.
Ears are always the Key

I think the best way to acheive consistency in an EP/LP begins long before tracking even begins.
You need to have a vision of what the EP/LP is going to be. There needs to be a flow in the material, some sense of style and maybe theme that can be heard/felt throughout even though their is plenty of variety in the individual songs. so it really starts with a vision, then the material, then the arrangement and style of play, recording in a simillar fashion with a similar chain on each song and finally mixing in an appropriate fashion for each song (maybe with simillar Plugs as perhaps mixing one song through an SSL emulation, another through an API simulation and another through the DAWs native plugs and another through a bunch of outboard gear may perhaps lead to a jumbled sonic signature (or maybe not)).This will give you a much greater sense of consistncy than trying to EQ and compress a bunch of disparate material to try and make it "The Same". So if you have some Dub Step tracks that you want to put between some hard core death metal intermingled with some childrens song you may have a problem getting them to sound consistent even with the best EQ and compression presets in the world. Develop your own style and it will always sound like you no matter what the tempo and volume of the material is.

As always YMMV of course

ymmv

I have one of those "dumb" questions to ask. The most direct way I can ask it is, how does one procure a consistent mix on a demo/EP/LP? Btw, I'm aware that EP and LP pertain to older formats but, I like to use those terms to differentiate a bands or, musicians releases.

In some respects, I know the answer to the question but, I can not but help to think there is more to it. Assuming one always uses the same mic set up in the same room for all their tracks/songs, what is the best way to keep every track on an album at the same level, without writing down each channel's EQ, pan, fader etc. that is on the mixer?
My best guess to achieve this (when using digital at least) is to have the EQ flat on the mixer, and to have one's plug-ins/fx etc., saved as a preset so the compression, fx, EQ and the like are consistent on every song. However, some thing tells me that such a thing isn't completely feasible, that slight alterations will need to be made song by song or, track by track.

Hopefully that all makes sense to you guys. I've always noticed that on my old band's EP that the tracks were all over the place in terms of mixing, some of it was even due to changing mic placement, using different mics and, I can even recall a time I let my college record and mix one track in a song and, one out of four or five tracks was recorded in mono while the others were stereo.

I tend to record very dry, with similar set up each time.
But use what fx you need to get a good recording. And no more.

Make necessary tweaks in the mix. You can add whatever you want to get a certain sound here. Mix to *stems* and leave room so the master step can get you what you want.

Mastering will smooth out the consistency of the tracks so they sound good together both for levels and sequence of play as well as sound style.

A different take on this-

Somewhere along the way in a multiple (or single) mix project I shift from mostly 'this song' mix mode to master mode. The diff is tightening the focus (or loosening depending on how you want to see it) to macro view. The contrast of seeing mixes in the final context changes my perception on several levels; tone balance, wet/dry’, forward/back’, dynamics etc. I should mention this applies to projects that often leave here finished’, no mastering, but that only effect how far we take the end file.
My method is to recall and go back to the mix –it takes me many return trips unfortunately :D;) ..but in the end it works really well.

Thank-you for your responses guys. I'm just getting back into recording after a couple of years of hiatus so, it's very much like learning how to do this all over again.

I've just finished (as much as I consider anything finished) mixing a 3 track demo for a friend's band and I was looking for a bit of consistency and tried saving channel presets from the first mix I was "happy" with and transferring them to the other tracks hoping to also transfer the mix sound across, it didn't work.

However, I did mix all the tracks to a certain standard and then used the best sounding mixdown to reference to whilst finishing off the other two tracks. I think this way gives you a good idea of what you're aiming at while also giving you room to manouver around slight differences in instrumentation or playing style from track to track.

I will never use presets or saved settings again. It's too easy to rely on those things and I think something is lost by trying to make all the mixes in a project exactly the same.

I agree with Bristol Posse - the way to get a consistent level is to make sure the tracks all have similar RMS levels.

Assuming you're on a DAW...

There are plenty of free RMS plugins. There are also plenty of free limiter plugins. If it were me, I'd put a limiter on the final mix, and an RMS meter after the limiter. Then adjust the limiter until you're getting the level you'd like (read up on how to use a limiter if needed). And make sure all the tracks on the "LP" have a similar RMS reading.

*What* that RMS level should be is an entirely different (and possibly lengthy) conversation. :)

Level depends on more than RMS. EQ is a big part for one. Your ears will give a more acurate track-to-track consistent level than any meter.

nick: I'm inclined to say that I have tried the saving preset and then load on another track thing before but, I don't recall if I tried that on my old bands EP or, if I tried it on some tracks before that when I was just experimenting. Good to know that it's not a fail safe method, as I had my suspicions that it wouldn't be that easy.

TripleM: Yes, I do all my work in Reaper. Looks like I wasn't thinking ahead too properly as I just checked my plug-ins and, I didn't back up my VST folder from the last time I reformatted my system..doh. :o
I will certainly look into a RMS plug-in to see if that helps on my next project.

Chibi: You're probably quite right about the EQ bit, as it's a crucial aspect to recording and mixing. I'm willing to bet that I messed around with my EQs too much from track to track before recording. We always used the same mic for the snare as we did for guitar amps, so I'm willing to bet that the levels were adjusted every time we did a new song and, if they weren't adjusted on the mixer before recording, I probably tried to fix the EQ with one or more plug-ins and thus, inconsistencies occurred. Having three to four different EQs adjusted to different levels would likely make it harder to get a more smooth mix ie: amp, pedal, mixer levels being all over the place.

Think I'll just have to pay more attention next time around. Thanks once more guys. With any luck, I should be getting my new mixer tomorrow so, let the fun begin.

Back