MIDI routing ?

Chin_Muzik

I have a couple samplers and modules I want to daisy chain thru midi...and I'm looking to buy a compact midi controller since I'm trying to streamline my setup significantly.

So I was looking at 25 keys and 37 key controllers and the thing I noticed is that they almost exclusively operate via midi over usb and none of them (except the mpk25 IIRC) have 5-pin midi.

So my question is...am I restrained to sending midi strictly from my controller to my DAW with midi over USB? My audio interface has midi out so I was hoping that this would transmit the midi being sent via usb on my DAW/PC.

Sorry if I'm not conveying it clearly..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can do what you're saying.

Ideal world - Midi keyboard straight into other hardware.
Solution - Midi keyboard into computer via usb, and back out again via 5pin on interface, right?

Whether you can do it in real time or not is just down to the specific DAW and interface, but I expect most setups will do it.

If you're into your midi hardware, I'd make an effort to get a controller with the old style connection. It just makes life easier.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can do what you're saying.

Ideal world - Midi keyboard straight into other hardware.
Solution - Midi keyboard into computer via usb, and back out again via 5pin on interface, right?

Exactly, but what confuses me is my AI has MIDI OUT not MIDI THRU...but I don't recall seeing THRU on any interface so I kind of just deduced that the AI would obviously send midi messages from the DAW...

Whether you can do it in real time or not is just down to the specific DAW and interface, but I expect most setups will do it.

Yea and that's probably what it boils down too...I'm using FL Studio and I don't think it passes midi thru in real time...and I believe the stock MIDI OUT plugin serves this functionality perfectly...

But it just kind of sucks as it's an extra step when firing up a project...if this was the case I'd just be whining anyway lol..

If you're into your midi hardware, I'd make an effort to get a controller with the old style connection. It just makes life easier.

Well..I'm using an old Ensoniq Mirage as my controller right now and it actually makes a fantastic controller (has release velocity!)...everything daisy chains without a hiccup...I wish I could keep it but space constraints demand otherwise.

I wonder if there's a behind the scenes thru function, without using your daw?
I have a feeling there's something like that in OSX, but I couldn't be certain.

I'm PC and I believe microsoft midi mapper would route the midi directly to the AI as long as the AI is selected as the main device within windows...so as long as I dont have the ms midi mapper configured as a midi out within FL...then it should work...

Just wish I had a usb midi controler to test lol

Back