Which MIDI controller for a noob???

solo2racr

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
I am in the market for a small, inexpensive MIDI controller and am not sure about which one of these may be better (or some other) at the $100.00 price point. Of the two I am looking at are the M-Audio Oxygen 25 MK3 and the Akai MPK Mini Laptop. I am inclined to get the Akai because, I believe, I can assign the mod and pitch functions to a knob, if needed, and it has the pads where as the M-Audio doesn't.

Suggestions??????

I too was looking for advice on this and didn't get much help. I just picked up (like on my lunch break today) the Akai Pro LPK25 Laptop Performance keyboard and a used Akai MPD18 Midi Pad Controller (got lucky on the used find, they just took one in). I'll let you know how they do once I have a chance to play with them.

I was looking at the MPK Mini too, but I wanted more than 8 pads for laying down drum tracks. I use EZ Drummer with the Metal Machine pack and the metal drumsets are huge. I wanted to be able to assign all the toms and a couple of crash symbols.

Thanks. Looking forward to what you have to say about them. For myself, 8 pads is enough for drums.

At the moment, I have a first issue MAudio Axiom I bought used. Easy to set up in Logic Express 9 and adjustable sensitivity on the pads, plus a nice feel to the keyboard. I also have an Akai MPK 25 I use with my laptop, works well and fits right into the laptop bag.

What are you going to be using the controller for primarily? There are different kinds out there for different uses.

Bane01....When I asked about "which one of these may be better", it was in regards to quality and not use. Either one would serve my purpose of use.

Solo,

I had a chance to play with the controllers a bit last night. The keyboard controller is really nice for my purposes (adding simple bass parts, strings, winds, sample sounds, etc. Mostly playing around). The keys have a nice give to them and the buttons are responsive and easy to use. The octave buttons light up to show you when you're not in the "default" postition. Very useful since it only has 25 keys and if you're looking to play up and down a regular keyboard you'll need to switch real-time. It was easy to set up in Studio One and Reaper.

As for the MPD18 (pad controller), the jury is still out for me. I'm thinking about taking it back actually. The response on the pads is kinda wonky. The one mapped to the kick drum in my software (EZ Drummer) especially. I bought mine used so I can't say whether the same problem exists for sure with a new one, but I have read reviews that say that the pads are not very responsive. There is a button to make it turn off the velocity sensitivity which basically just outputs at the top volume no matter how hard you hit the pads. I had to turn that on or else most of the time I couldn't hear it. I thought that I would like the pads for tapping out drum beats, but honestly I think I could use the keyboard or I'll just end up clicking in the notes in the piano roll because the pad sensitivity is so bad. Not conducive for tapping out fast metal beats. Also I don't like the layout and I can't figure out for the life of me what to set things to in the editor to map the pads how I would like them. Not very user friendly and the documentation is not very good.

Hope this helps a little. I'll try to remember to post an update when I've spent more time with them. Good luck in your own search!

Thanks for the update, Xcaliber. From everything else I have read, it seems like the Akai stuff isn't to bad for inexpensive controllers.

Also good to know that it wasn't any problem in Reaper.

Also I don't like the layout and I can't figure out for the life of me what to set things to in the editor to map the pads how I would like them.

I was playing around a bit in Reaper and this may help you. Since I don't have a controller yet, I have no way to check. Once you have created a track and selected a VSTi, click on the "Track Envelopes" button. You should see all the various parameters for the VSTi. Find the one you would like to assign to a particular pad or control and select it. At which point you will see another "track" appear on the left hand side just below the real VSTi track. Select the button that says "MIDI Learn" and use (tap, turn, slide, whatever) the control you want to use to control that parameter. Be sure to read the instructions that pop up when you press the "MIDI Learn" button regarding MIDI settings in the "preferences" section.

I gave ya some rep and I hope this little tidbit will help. I THINK it will do what you want to.

Thanks man! Come to think of it I only set up the MPD18 in Reaper, not the keyboard. I did set it up in Studio One though. I'm trying to use Studio One because it's the Producer version, but I like Reaper so much more I keep going back to it.

Solo,

I had a chance to play with the controllers a bit last night. The keyboard controller is really nice for my purposes (adding simple bass parts, strings, winds, sample sounds, etc. Mostly playing around). The keys have a nice give to them and the buttons are responsive and easy to use. The octave buttons light up to show you when you're not in the "default" postition. Very useful since it only has 25 keys and if you're looking to play up and down a regular keyboard you'll need to switch real-time. It was easy to set up in Studio One and Reaper.

As for the MPD18 (pad controller), the jury is still out for me. I'm thinking about taking it back actually. The response on the pads is kinda wonky. The one mapped to the kick drum in my software (EZ Drummer) especially. I bought mine used so I can't say whether the same problem exists for sure with a new one, but I have read reviews that say that the pads are not very responsive. There is a button to make it turn off the velocity sensitivity which basically just outputs at the top volume no matter how hard you hit the pads. I had to turn that on or else most of the time I couldn't hear it. I thought that I would like the pads for tapping out drum beats, but honestly I think I could use the keyboard or I'll just end up clicking in the notes in the piano roll because the pad sensitivity is so bad. Not conducive for tapping out fast metal beats. Also I don't like the layout and I can't figure out for the life of me what to set things to in the editor to map the pads how I would like them. Not very user friendly and the documentation is not very good.

Hope this helps a little. I'll try to remember to post an update when I've spent more time with them. Good luck in your own search!

Yes, documentation is horrible, though it is assumed one understands what the controller is for. One thing that I found with the MPD18, is that you must program it from the editor program before you open your DAW. If working with EZD, you need to take note of which MIDI note is triggering each sample you wish to trigger from the MPD. Program it to send the appropriate notes you wish to trigger from EZD. It is not just a plug and play device. You have to tell it what you want it to do. Typical of any pad controller I suppose. It does not know what you want to trigger. You have to program it. A keyboard is easier in the respect that it is layed out like a keyboard. Notes played equate to notes sent. In my experience, drums are harder to program with a keyboard. Well, from a drummer standpoint anyway. At least from my perspective.

Funny you should even ask about the 'Full Level' switch. If you are programming metal beats, the last thing you want is variable velocity.

I'm not sure what you read about response of the pads. It's MIDI. I have had no response issues with my system. For a $80 unit, I find it solid as hell. I'm not sure I have anything in my studio that cost less than this unit, that works so well...

Wait, I got my small Lava lamp at the thrift store for $5. It has never failed me. :)

I got the Akai MPK Mini Laptop today and have had I little time to play around with it. Using the pads to trigger drum samples and the keyboard and knobs to play around with various VSTi synths. Both the keys and pads require more force than what I am use to on my Korg 01/W Pro. The mini keys don't really seem to be any problem. I had thought they may be but for what I do, they're fine. Integrated just fine with Reaper. For my layout, I wish the USB port was on the left side and not on the right. I am right handed and like it better on my right side so the USB would be better on the left. For a small MIDI controller, it does what I need it to do. It's not a steal at $99.00 but isn't a ripoff either. You get what you pay for. I am use to better gear so I do see a better MIDI controller in my future. Not that I am displeased with the Akai. I couldn't afford a better one right now so, this is what I got and am happy with it, for it's price.

But, there is one thing on the Akai that I will change and that is the knobs. Simply, they are to short to be easy to use. The shafts are a 6mm "D" shape so they shouldn't be to hard to find a better knob. Probably something closer to what's on my Soundcraft Spirit.

Last edited:
Back