Midi to audio Cubase 5

Skew

Hi folks, I know it's probably a very annoying and usual question but I spent 2 days already trying to get it work but with no luck, I found a lot of info on google but nothing concrete actually, a lot of different answers. Hope someone will be very nice and able to explain everything.

I have a microstation Korg and yamaha ypd141 digital piano and I use Cubase 5 as my main DAW, I have maudio 2626 with midi inputs and usb-midi cable also, I can record all sound easily to cubase but there is no way i can convert it to audio. I tried bounce metod like with protools (I saw it on youtube) but It didn't work, I tried to use senderella plugin but it didn't work again , I tried realtime recording and nothing also.. I don't know maybe I did something wrong but seems like I tried a lot of different options. It would be great if some of you who use cubase and external synths could help, step by step and even screenshots would be amazing and helpful for a lot of people I believe. Hope to get an answer soon couce I'm really get tired from that step, Thank you.

You can hear the audio when you play it back in cubase, right? And you're trying to export it, but your exports don't play any of your midi tracks? When i track out drums on cubase le4 i always have to realtime record them to an audio track. (i understand you've already tried this.)

I used to have to unplug one of my monitors and loop it back into the mixer in order to achieve this (Be careful with your levels if you do this, as the feedback will be intense)

Now what i do is create an audio track, and make a new bus in VST Connections (under the Devices tab). I make a mono bus, and select Stereo L (you can use either, pick your favorite!). That should show you the bus name (mono), and the device port as 'ST L' (the yellow highlighted box).

Next solo that Midi track (make sure you're not recording on the midi track) and hit record on the audio track. You'll probably have to mute the audio track after you hit the record icon on that track as Midi will be solo'd and it automatically (for Le4) solo's recording tracks. Make sure that audio track has your designated re-recording input (mono for me).

Then just play the part you need converted and hit the record button, you should be able to watch the audio being recorded as the midi plays back. You may need to adjust output/input levels to get the desired level.

IT'S A TOTAL PAIN IN THE ASS, i know... trust me i wish there was a better way but this is the only way i've been able to get it to work. I understand how frustrating it is, let me know if this didn't help and i'll try to find you an answer. A bunch of folks use cubase on this forum and will probably be more help than me.

Set the output of the midi track to a buss. Then create a new audio track. Set the input to the same buss that you sent the midi track to. Arm the audio track for recording and press record. It should record the midi as audio. FYI, make sure you zero the midi track fader.

Are you using the full version of Cubase 5 or Cubase 5 studio? - Steinberg has great customer support. If you are only plugging in a midi cable then you are not recording sound you are recording midi data.

Hm, I tried this.. Yes i can hear a sound but it plays on yamaha piano through midi usb cable ( I'm trying this option at the moment) , so when I hit recording nothing happens in audio track. How I understand this that midi should come through my interface somehow, no?Maybe I should hear a sound comming from my monitors? I'm confused
P.s. It's a Cubase 5 full

Do you have any cables other than midi running from your keyboard to your maudio 2626? If you don't then YOUR NOT RECORDING SOUND - midi is not a sound file - it records the keystrokes. if you want to record audio you need audio cables - if you want to play back a VST instrument in Cubase you have to apply the midi data to the VST track

arcadeko is right. You are not sending any audio from your keyboard, its only a controller. A midi cable sends messages to the DAW. You need to set the track up as an instrument track. Select the virtual instrument of your choice and then set the output to the buss.

Oook, I connected korg output straight to 2626 interface preamp via XRL - 1/4 Jack and I did the same with digital piano, headphones jack to preamp still don't know if it good option but it records sound already , but still would like to become a friends with midi :) thanks for the answers

Oook, I connected korg output straight to 2626 interface preamp via XRL - 1/4 Jack and I did the same with digital piano, headphones jack to preamp still don't know if it good option but it records sound already , but still would like to become a friends with midi :) thanks for the answers
MIDI is a glorious thing, once you know how to use it. You are only getting the sounds that are on your keyboard. Once you learn midi correctly the sounds you could control with that keyboard are endless.

Back