Microphones and Audio Interface

BenSav

Hey guys!!

I am relatively new to recording and I only record vocals, I currently have an AKG Perception 120 USB and I am looking to upgrade to a better microphone and an audio interface.
I am having trouble decide which one to purchase.
I am male, with quite a low voice, my room is not treated, although it isn't very echoey at all, which is a bonus.
I don't want to spend for than around $650 US for both the mic and interface.

Please give me some ideas :D
Thanks guys!

I am looking at buying the Rode NT2-A along with the Tascam US122 MKii.

What are everyone's opinions on this combination?
Cheers

My fellow bandmate and I do all our vocals on an NT2 (not NT2a) and like it OK. I have quite a deep voice as well, and the other guy's testicles have also fully descended although they don't scrape the floor like mine. The mic works for me, although doubtless you'll get other opinions. Can't help you on the interface, sorry...

A lot depends upon the type of vocals being recorded as well, incidentally.

Thanks for the reply.
I will be singing stuff like Michael Buble, Drake, jessie J.
So a varied choice, but still all kind of Pop style.

I've used the Rode NT1a on a lot of sessions and its never let me down. Interfaces (and mics for that matter) are all subjective. It depends on what software you want to use. If you want to use ProTools go with something from the Mbox line. There are plenty of others that are far cheaper. You could get a cheap interface buy a decent outboard preamp and then a decent mic and you would be in fine shape. Or buy a more expensive interface that has a decent preamp in it and a mic. I have an Mbox 2 mini and it would be fine for just doing vocals, and has another input for a guitar or something like that. If I was going back and buying something again I'd probably buy something cheaper and spend that extra paper on a better mic.

My advice is to do your research on what best is going to fit your needs not only now but for longevity.. As far as a mic is concerned do your research on what mcs fit best for your type of voice. I personally have a Jason Mraz type voice and my rode nt2a picks up my voice quite well..I also record an RNb artist who has a low tenor voice and his voice picks up quite well.. Your best bet is doing a lot of research by reading lots of reviews on different mics that are suggested to you..

As far as audio interfaces are concerned I would think about which suits your studio environment.. Do you use speaker monitors? How many mics will u be plugging in...

A good entry level interface that will run you about 2 hundred dollars is a Safire 6 USB.. Plug and play has a nice preamp for your Ldc (48v) and does the job for a small home studio setup... I am about 5 months into my studio and have bode well with my Safire pro 24 dsp that retails around 330...

If you want an all around mic that can not only record vocals but instruments as well.. Look into the nt1a .. Amazon has it for around 230 brand new.. Make sure to get yourself a nice pop filter and boom stand.. If acoustic treatment is too much to deal with look into getting a reflexion filter.. Se electronics makes a nice one.. Again just do your research and shop around on Craigslist. I got all my stuff for a steal!!!

Firstly, i apologise for the prices in £'s; when you live in the UK, there isn't much call for working in $'s. in terms of audio interfaces in your price bracket, there are a lot available with all subjective pro's and con's. assuming that you'd just need one or two inputs, and that you're happy with USB, then the handful that spring to mind are;

the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - £150, great sounding pre's, and an expandable to 8 in's if you wanted more inputs in the future

Presonus Audiobox 22VSL - £160, nice sounding pre's, and some built in DSP effects that can be useful when recording

Tascam US-600 - £160, good sounding pre's, and four mic inputs

Maudio Fast Track MkII - about £90 (depending where you look), only one mic in and one instrument in, but very usable

Alesis io2 - £80, 2 ok sounding mic pre's, some driver issues that are seem to be fixed easily with some free software (ASIO4all) but for a starting point for 2 in's it's not bad

in terms of mic's for your style of singing, again there's plenty out there and it's all very very subjective, but i'd suggest looking at/listening to/trying;

Rode NT1a and/or NT2a
sE X1 and 2200a
AKG C214
Apex 460

I'd also recommend sorting out at least some simple treatment in your space. even if you just sling a duvet behind yourself and some sort of reflection filter behind the mic when singing it should make quite a noticeable difference, and with that in mind the sE X1 bundle is a very good package for £190.

With the interfaces i'd say pick that one that suits your needs best as the quality difference in this price range is so small and more often than not the choice comes down to what the interface offers in terms of number of inputs, outputs, and extra gubbins (i.e the focusrite stuff comes with some free plugins, the presonus stuff has some simple DSP for proving reverb and effects in your headphones whilst recordings, the tascam has 4 mic inputs, the alesis is cheap etc)

with mic's, the best thing to do is try as many as you can and see what works for you and what doesn't. if you can't try them, find audio clips and listen to them, but take these kind of samples with a pinch of salt and always remember that's what that mic sounds like on that source in that space.

and a duvet and reflection filter style device are very VERY worthwhile investments :)

Thanks for all your input guys!!
Anyone know anything about the Shure SM87a or sm beta87??
That is what michael buble uses right??

HEY GUYS PLS HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.Why do i need to buy audio interface? some said is because of latency.
Im using ASIO4ALL and Reaper as my DAW. And i plug in my guitar using behringer guitar link.
It works perfectly.

2.For vocal. Im using usb mic and it works fine. Why should i using a audio interface?

3.Monitor Speakers. Can i just using rca cable to stereo on my laptop?
(when i play guitar or listen to mp3 i works fine and give good quality)

I really need and answers from you guys. tq

HEY GUYS PLS HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.Why do i need to buy audio interface? some said is because of latency.
Im using ASIO4ALL and Reaper as my DAW. And i plug in my guitar using behringer guitar link.
It works perfectly.

2.For vocal. Im using usb mic and it works fine. Why should i using a audio interface?

3.Monitor Speakers. Can i just using rca cable to stereo on my laptop?
(when i play guitar or listen to mp3 i works fine and give good quality)

I really need and answers from you guys. tq

Well, your Behri guitar link is an interface of sort. The quality level of it, and your USB mic are possibly not as good as it could be by using a dedicated external interface. If you are happy with the results you are getting now, then don't bother upgrading. If you wish to have better, then upgrade.

By the way, you just did what is called 'jacking' a thread. You should really start your own next time. :)

Back