Microphone/XLR Cable problems

ZachW

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask for diagnosing equipment problems, but here goes.

I'm totally new to home recording and using microphones and whatnot. I have a Sterling SP150 that I'm borrowing to use for various home recording projects. When I plug it in to an audio interface there seems to be no output at all. I've run all of the basic troubleshooting tasks, made sure that phantom power is on, that my DAW is using my interface for input, etc.

Since the microphone is pretty new I'm pretty sure that isn't the source of the problem, and I think the issue may have to do with the XLR cable attached, but one thing I've noticed is that the cable seems stuck in the jack. No amount of (reasonable) force + holding down the button seems to get it loose. I've opened up the microphone around the jack area and had a look inside but there doesn't seem to be any way to get to the actual jack without removing some electronic components.

Is there something I am missing here? I haven't been able to find any threads that deal with this specific issue.

Cables go bad, but probably not the problem. None the less, try another cable.

Did the mic work for whomever you borrowed it from?

What audio interface are you using? What DAW?

How are you monitoring? How do you know you're not getting a signal?

As for the jack. I have found some mics and some cables don't latch up nicely. I had one mic that I had to cut the jack notch deeper to get the cable to lock in place.

I believe the Sterling is a condenser mike, so you will need to make sure the phantom power is on on the interrface.

If you have the connector stuck - I'd fix that first. What kind of XLR? Neutrik, Switchcraft, Canon, or clone design? Assuming it's a Neutrik design, unscrew the collar, slide it back and the insert should pull out leaving the circular barrel. That might then come out with a little wiggling?

The cable is stuck in the microphone so I can't try a new cable until I fix that.

The mic wasn't being used so I'm the first to use it in a long time.

I'm using a (borrowed) PreSonus Audiobox USB 96, currently running everything through Audacity but once I can get all my hardware working I'll update my mac and install the 90 day trial of Logic

I'm monitoring through a set of headphones connected through my computer and another connected to my interface. I plugged in my electric bass directly into the interface and it works fine, so that makes my think the interface/DAW is not the issue

I've made sure the 48V phantom power is on.

I'm not sure what kind of cable I'm working with since there isn't any label anywhere, but I will research those brands you mentioned, and see if I can ID it.

Update:

The cable seems to be a Cannon, or a clone of that design. Does anyone know how to work with those?

Hi Zack, first of all, jammed XLRs are not that uncommon I had some that needed gas pliers to remove!

First thing, lock the latch with a stout cable tie* then you can maybe get something like Gpliers or similar on the plug while someone else holds the mic. I realize the mic is borrowed so you don't want to damage that but you might have to make a mess of the XLR plug. Do you have a B&D Workmate?

*I know getting stuff is tricky right now but a tiny splash of WD-40 might help and if you 'at' a hardware store get a cheap digital multimeter. You cannot KNOW you have phantom power unless you measure it. Are you in UK or close? If so I could post you a known good XLR cable.

Dave.

Dave,

I'm perfectly okay with potentially destroying the cable so long as the mic goes unharmed. I need that thing out of there regardless of whether it's causing the issue or not and the cable will be pretty cheap to replace.

I've got myself (no one else in the house), pliers, zipties, WD40 and and a normal workbench.

To clarify, you think I should clamp the latch with a ziptie or pliers, add lube, and just pull? Won't this damage the microphone in some way?

Well, it's leaning more towards the cable causing your issues. I never had a cable get stuck on a mic, so this is a new one. I would try needle nose pliers to push the release down as far as I can.

Can you post a quick pic? More out of curiosity.

The only thing that can jam is the retention mechanism. When you press the button, it drops the catch enough to disengage with the groove in the microphone casting or barrel. Sometimes, the spring can break off, preventing complete release and the better the mic, the tougher they are and the more secure the catch! You're going to need to slide something flexible, strong and narrow into the gap that can get the catch free. If you use brute force, then the microphone part of the catch can be damaged. As I mentioned, removing the cable, leaving the housing gives you more space to get something in the gap.

I've got the opposite problem at the moment - a Neutrik chassis female - and the button has snapped off, and nothing so far has released the cable. Channel 5 now permanently has the shell of the XLR stuck in it till I can remove the socket and put in a new one.

Dave,

I'm perfectly okay with potentially destroying the cable so long as the mic goes unharmed. I need that thing out of there regardless of whether it's causing the issue or not and the cable will be pretty cheap to replace.

I've got myself (no one else in the house), pliers, zipties, WD40 and and a normal workbench.

To clarify, you think I should clamp the latch with a ziptie or pliers, add lube, and just pull? Won't this damage the microphone in some way?

Does the bench have a vice? If so clamp the XLR plug in it with a the latch depressed and the mic should wiggle free.

If not as suggested dismantle the plug even if that means a hacksaw.

Dave.

Issue Resolved!

I've managed to remove the cable from the microphone by removing the outer casing from the cable plug and placing a screw clamp on the release trigger, adding as much downward force on the trigger as I could. After that all it took was a light tug to get the cable out. I guess it was a matter of not being able to press the trigger down far enough with my own strength.

Although you can't really see to much that looks out of the ordinary, here's some pictures, at the request of user Chili:

20200418_175338.jpg20200418_173416.jpg20200418_173356_HDR.jpg20200418_173332.jpg

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice!

I've managed to remove the cable from the microphone by removing the outer casing from the cable plug and placing a screw clamp on the release trigger, adding as much downward force on the trigger as I could. After that all it took was a light tug to get the cable out. I guess it was a matter of not being able to press the trigger down far enough with my own strength.

Although you can't really see to much that looks out of the ordinary, here's some pictures, at the request of user Chili:

View attachment 106078View attachment 106077View attachment 106076View attachment 106075

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice!

You are welcome...NOW we gotta get it working! Do you have/did get a meter? If so set it on DC volts and poke the negative probe into pin 1 of the now buggered XLR and check you have about 48V on pins 3&4.

Since you have the mic apart you could check with it plugged in at the back of the connector but be careful not to slip and short volts to any other circuitry. N.B. If you do this you will read quite a bit less than 48V but that is as it should be.

Dave.

Back