Microphone not picking up input

ZedNG

So I'm not the best with these type of things and usually my ex would fix them for me. My microphone doesn't seem to be picking up any sound.

I have a shure sm7b that's xlr cable goes into a xenyx q802, i then have two i think 3.5 wires going into my main out and these lead to my microphone slot on my computer, but my computer just doesn't seem to be picking up anything when i speak so i don't know if i have it setup right but im pretty sure i do. The LED lights underneath the power on the xenyx aren't lighting up when im speaking either.

I appreciate any help, thanks in advance

First off, I wouldn't use the main out to your microphone inputs of the computer. It would be better to use the USB connection of the 802 as an audio interface, you'll just need to download the ASIO4ALL driver (assuming you are using Windows). That will let you send and receive audio directly to your DAW software (unless you are using Audacity .. it won't use ASIO),

As for not seeing the LEDs lighting when you are speaking, the SM7b has a fairly low output. You may need to increase the volume control on your track to get the signalto register. Can you hear anything if you plug in headphones? Also, the SM7b does not require phantom power, so you should turn that off.

A strong clue is the lack of LEDs lighting up when you talk into the mike. Try increasing the gain until something happens there. That's step one, i.e. making sure that mike and mixer are working.

Then you can go onto step 2.

As TalismanRich said, USB is the way to go.

If you plug headphones into the 802 can you hear the mic? If not - routing and gain setting in the mixer is your starting point. A bit off an odd setup really - your mic is well known for sounding excellent but being a bit deaf, so you probably have to turn the gain on the mixer up quite high, which isn't ideal, and then the 3.5mm cable into the computer is also a bit of a compromise and that might make it hissier too. No sound though, means something simpler.

Back