...which microphone?

JFogarty said:
If we wanna talk about Oktava, look at the thousands of lines that have already been posted about it.

Yep, I would tend to agree, but the specific question was about how to get a studio-quality microphone for around a hundred bucks, and as far as I know that's pretty much limited to the current special on MK219s at Guitar Center - $99.99 until April 1. If there's a better deal for a hundred bucks, I want to know about it.

I'm not saying that there aren't better microphones or that other, more expensive Oktava sources don't have their advantages. I'm just saying that if a guy's only got a hundred bucks, that's got to be the deal for him.

It's a specific answer to a specific question.

I'm just trying to contribute some light rather than flame here. The stupidity and immaturity of the recent Oktava flamefest in "Microphones" was an utter waste of time and contributed nothing useful to the knowledge base.

You'll note that while I started the thread, I left early, too.

Please..Read Again.

Bongolation:
You are referring to the MK-219.
I am referring to the MC-319.
These are 2 totally different mikes, dude...
And you didn't respond to the fact that The Sound Room will "re-spec" that mic for a hotter, wider ranged sound.
This is education here, NOT flaming...
I don't deal in the area of flaming.
Geeesssh.
DJ

$99 Mics.

Hey, thanks for the additional information. I wasn't aware that GS had the MK219's on sale for $99. I'll pick up 2 of them tomorrow. Quality control or not, the 2 MK319s I purchased have better sensitivity and as warm of a sound as my AKG C414 EB which lists for $ 1,100.00. (Of course its not a multi-pattern mic like the AKG). And, by the way, if you read the specs on the 2 mics, the 219 and 319 ARE different mics.

Re: $99 Mics.

SleepyJohn said:
Hey, thanks for the additional information. I wasn't aware that GS had the MK219's on sale for $99. I'll pick up 2 of them tomorrow. Quality control or not, the 2 MK319s I purchased have better sensitivity and as warm of a sound as my AKG C414 EB which lists for $ 1,100.00. (Of course its not a multi-pattern mic like the AKG). And, by the way, if you read the specs on the 2 mics, the 219 and 319 ARE different mics.

Yeah, I wrote another reply about this, but the BBS software ate it.

$99.99 for a MK219 is a steal, but it's only good through March 31, so hurry - if they're out INSIST on a rain check. The GC sales people will say they don't give them, but they do. They have big pads of the rain check forms in the store somewhere. Ask for the manager.

As far as the MK219 and MK319 go, they are 100% identical under the skin. Same diaphragm, same electronics. The only difference is the housing, which allegedly gives a more "open" vocal sound in the case of the MK319. The specs I have seen are identical for the two microphones. I'd be interested in seeing any specs that show otherwise - though, considering the <<WIDE>> difference between individual Oktavas of any model, nominal published specs are probably meaningless anyway.

I've heard of tricks to acoustically "improve" the MK219 housing, but I hesitate to relay them without more proof.

Good luck at Guitar Center and tell us how you make out!

Thanks a lot for the info/comments. Unfortunately, I just read the post on the Oktava today (being April 2nd) - on top of which I've never seen a Guitar Center in my life. I'm Canadian, so they probably just don't exist here (no need to correct yourself on my behalf, giaschel). Also, I guess I should have mentioned that I'll be running the mic through an ART tube mp first (on that note, I actually tried micing an acoustic guitar D/I to the card and the results were surprisingly decent - although obviously better with the pre-amp). Plus, although I'd prefer to get one mic, if it's not possible without sacrificing sound quality (studio) or stage antics (live), I'll get two. So far the list of mics to check out goes:

Yorkville Apex 430
Rode NT-1
Oktava MK 319
Oktava MK 219 (virtually identical to the latter)
Oktava MC 319

Again, I appreciate the info. Are there any others worth checking out?
Thanks!

- Voice

On the subject of a mics for $100, you would need to get one that is powered by a 9v battery, becuase it would cost you another $50 for a phantom power supply.

Who ever said that their Oktava mic sounds better then a AKG 414, i think you might need to go and retest that. Yes, the oktava 219/319 are good for their money, but they really dont hold a candle up to an AKG 414.

In response to Kristian, I didn't say that the MK319 was BETTER than the AKG 414, I said "the 2 MK319s I purchased have better sensitivity and as warm of a sound as my AKG C414 EB". By that I mean that their sensitivity seems to be brighter and louder although they too have a "warm" sound on vocals and horns. I have both mics and the 414 is definately a far superior product but they both sound different and some people will prefer one over the other just because they sound different. The 414, however is $800 at discount retailers.

one mic cant do everything. but if i had to throw my money at one to do it right it would be the AKG. But the $800 is a bit of a crapper... glad you like your 319.

Back